So after months and months of deliberation and looking at almost every option available I have decided to start my cnc Router build, finally! What really sold it to me was the initial imagery for the Momus version 2.0. My project has really pushed forward this week as i have had to take holiday (use it or lose it) so im using it as an opportunity to make some progress, unfortunately the 2.0 plans aren't available yet so I have had to improvise and build on the 1.2 plans! My design is slightly larger than the standard Momus and converted to metric, it has a proposed cutting area of around 500 x 500mm, I will get some images up and update as I go this week.
So I now have all of the parts laid out onto two sheets of 18mm hardwood Ply, tomorrow is going to be a long day cutting it all out!
Why do hardwork cutting out the cabinet? build the CNC and then you can cut it out and house the CNC in it.
Somehow it's kind of creepy that I post a couple of photos and a couple of weeks later an exact 3d model appears. Creepy in a good way. Nice reverse engineering. You could have a lucrative career in industrial espionage.
I see that you are laying out the cover pieces with the angled cuts as separate pieces. What I did was cut it out as nice rectangular pieces, assemble the cover, and then cut it in half along that angled line. This seemed like it would minimize errors in setting saw angle, needing to maintain high dimensional accuracy, getting it to actually fit the base, etc.
So over the last few days I have made a fair amount of progress, all of the main "frame" parts have been cut out, the lid will be done later, I'm going to take the comments on board about cutting the tricky parts out once it's up and running. I under estimated how big the unit was going to be, it surprised me when I got the main parts cut out. It's going to take a couple of people to move this thing when it's done!
So the base has now come together and I'm currently fixing on the sides of the unit, it's nice to see a pile of ply start to look like something that resembles a machine! I can't wait to get it finished off now.
I decided to use a hole saw to create the openings through the ribs, it just seemed easier!
Bob, haha, industrial espionage is not really my thing, I think I'll stick to my day job, but needs must and I wanted a V2.0 before its release! I look forward to seeing the full genuine plans when they are released. It will be good to compare them against what I have cobbled together.
Cutting the angled parts out of one piece would definitely be the way forwards, I laid them out separately just too try and save some money by getting all of the parts onto two sheets of ply, I was shocked when I found out the sheet price of Hardwood ply over here in the UK! I think the top may end up getting made out of mixture of ply and MDF as it's not structural.
I hope to make some good progress tomorrow, I will post up what I get done.
Last edited by rwhittle; 04-07-2012 at 07:19 PM.
So not as much progress as hoped today, I ate far to much Easter Chocolate today and drank too much last night! so the progress was a little slow.
Today I got both sides put together and fixed onto the main torsion box.