Looking to design a CNC based on Momus, got a few questions

Thread: Looking to design a CNC based on Momus, got a few questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking to design a CNC based on Momus, got a few questions

Hey,
    Just recently I started looking into building a CNC machine so that I can route wood/aluminum. After looking at all the other types of CNC machine I really like the design concepts of Momus (Mostly the sunken bed with little to no vertical gantry). Now I personally would like to build my own design (I like designing/building things) and take concepts I like from various machines. Below are the questions I hope some of you can answer.

1. I plan to make mine to be able to efficiently cut 4' x 4' anything I should be worried about with flex in the gantry? Read on another post doing a 2 motor setup for the X is mandatory for these size
    2. I would like to use Linear Support Rails for X,Y (SBR20) and Z (SBR16) which Momus doesn't use is there any advantage/disadvantage to this? I'm thinking on doing 2 sets of rails for the X with 2 Motor / 2 Ball Screw Setup (1 per side), 1 set for the Y and 1 Set for the Z
    3. I would prefer the load on the support rails to be on the top so I was thinking on making my Y axis mounted on a horizontal plate (like the X axis) instead on a vertical one. If this going to be an issue? I would counter balance the spindle mount on the other side of the Y axis probably with a block of aluminum/steel
    4. I plan to make this out of aluminum plates (probably 3/4" think) any foreseen issues with this (the base/bed would be MDF/plywood, just the gantry/spindle mount would be aluminum)? I'm going to also try and cast my own plates anyone done anything like this? Thinking of using Petrobond sand for casting to get a nice finish.

I'll be making a CAD drawing on everything before purchasing to make sure I get something that will work and I'm happy with. Thanks for all your time and knowledge.

--James

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking to design a CNC based on Momus, got a few questions

Welcome to the cnczone. You will find many ideas here and can explore all kinds of methods and materials to build your creation.
    Don't take this comment seriously, but how many alterations can you make to reach the point that you can't claim that you are making a momus cnc?

The advantage or disadvantage of a design often boils down to specifications of some kind. Some has to do with rigidity, cost, difficulty in assembly or manufacturing, etc.
    If you meet all your design goals then whatever you build is valid.
    Structurally you want your design to be solid and stay in alignment. I don't know the structural specifics to comment on your proposed changes.
    Often anecdotal info from other builders helps to answer some of your questions.

Have a great build and keep us informed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the warm welcome .

My main goals are to produce a CNC machine that I can use to CNC wood, aluminum and acrylic with as much accuracy as possible. I have plans on making computer mods (acrylic) and would like to build a fair sized custom desk (6' x 7') with bookshelf's.

The build I'm planing I think is taking one of the biggest design features of the Momus which is the sunken table. The reason for the linear supported rails, 2 motors for X axis, and the aluminum for the gantry is to make it more structurally sound based on the size I would like to build. I do realize the rails will cost more but I think its a good investment from what I read about the rails with acme ball screws for the best accuracy. If anything here sticks out and a no no just let me know I'm still in the research mode I will welcome any feedback.

--James

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll keep an eye on your progress.

I don't have much experience in building a cnc either, but did cobble one together using mdf and an old water bed lumber for my table frame.
    Haven't used it yet as it isn't completely finished and now it is too cold to work in the unheated garage.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by qbvbsite View Post
    ... The reason for the linear supported rails, 2 motors for X axis, and the aluminum for the gantry is to make it more structurally sound based ... --James
    I have wondered when using two motors and two leadscrews whether one should use a left-hand and a right-hand leadscrew to minimize, or cancel, screw vibrations. Would that make sense?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll be sure to post it . Got any pic's of your machine? is there a thread on here of it?

--James

Downloads
    Uploads

No, I didn't document it.
    I spent like 6 years off and on to get this far. I used the joe2006 as my target footprint and a crude clone for the z-axis, along with all-thread for lead screws as I didn't want to spend the big bucks on parts. I finally, splurged in buying the cncrouterparts aluminum z-axis last year. It's now the most expensive part on my cnc.
    My long axis (X-axis) is end-supported with mdf beam construction. This allows me to raise the entire cnc above the bed, in case I want to carve small logs, but have a limited Z-axis travel. The 2X4 corner posts of my table allows for raising or lowering the cnc, and I use bolts to hold it in place.

But, hey... I don't want to hi-jack your thread.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool stuff i'm sure mine is going to take a few years, If you got a photo I would love to see it. I'm about 1/3 of the way done CAD'ing my machine (took awhile learning the basic CAD commands), Just finished the Base and the X Axis rails, next will be working on the Y axis gantry. Once I complete the initial design I'll post it here for review as I'm sure there are a few issues i'm not seeing and things that can be made better. One thing I have realized is this machine will be pretty big lol (base is 6' by 7' with an 4' x 4' cutting area).

--James