Matt's Expanded Momus Build

Thread: Matt's Expanded Momus Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Matt's Expanded Momus Build

Hi Guys,
    After almost a year of part time building, My expanded Momus build is now up and running. My thanks to all the posters here in this forum for the inspiration that their efforts provided me..
    In return here is some pictures of my build taken along the way. Not in any greatly organized order and please forgive if some pictures are a bit blurry.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Expanded Momus Build-1-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-2-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-3-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-4-jpg  

Matt's Expanded Momus Build-5-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-6-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-7-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-8-jpg  

Matt's Expanded Momus Build-9-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-10-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-11-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-12-jpg  

Matt's Expanded Momus Build-13-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-14-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-15-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-16-jpg  

Matt's Expanded Momus Build-17-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-18-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-20-jpg   Matt's Expanded Momus Build-21-jpg  

Matt's Expanded Momus Build-22-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Matt's Expanded Momus Build

The machine is measures 20 inches wider and 10 inches deeper than the original machine. Each side wall was widened 3 inches to provide a larger platform for the cable chain and more room for the electronics inside. the z axis is 4 inches taller than stock to provide future room for a 4 th axis. I use a Gecko 540 and a breakout board connected to an ESS for stepper motor control and inputs. I also have a Super PID installed to control the router motor speed. The cabinet is lighted with LED strip lights. I am currently working on a dust shoe to complete the dust collection system. I have had a blast building this project, Building and redoing things to suit my whims as another idea came up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work!
    There seems to be a trend in expanding the Momus.
    I have kept to the original size and am in the base/top painting/finishing mode.
    Metal work is 98% or so done.
    Electronics about 85% done.

This pic is very old, new ones coming after I get the hood finished.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Expanded Momus Build-100_5162-jpg  
    "IT ≠ IQ " Starwalt 1999

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi vtxstar, Your machine looks good too.
    Although the original design was a bit small for my desires, I liked the idea of having a contained envelope for machining. I have my dust collection in place now and can run with very little impact to the shop. The machine itself is not hard to expand if one thinks thru the design and understands what is going on. Changes can be made in all sorts of ways, this was my take on it.. seems to work fairly well out of the gate.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Matt,
    that is some very impressive engineering and craftsmanship. Beautiful work, really...! :-)
    You've probably read my thread, I built the "long" one... Now you've built the widest one, hehe.
    I see you went with two x motors, that's an absolute must in this setup, glad to see you did that out of the gate. I had to learn that the hard way.
    Being this wide, do you have any problems with the gantry tube? What are you routing on it?
    I find that even at my width, I wish I would have made that thing much beefier to start. What are you using for it?
    Again, great job - awesome build :-)
    --
    Mac

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mac,
    Thank you for the kind comments. Yes I did read your post from beginning to end and I must say I got most of my inspiration from that post. I don't believe my machine would have worked out as well if I had not read your build log first. Thank you for your efforts and sharing them with us all here.
    I did beef up the gantry to 4" wide and a bit taller. As I had already built the gantry end parts I used the smaller tube inside the larger (about 14" or so ) and riveted it solid. The guide flat bar is also wider, necessitating a change to the x axis bearing locations. I haven't noticed flexibility in the tube itself, however I do have some in the z axis . I believe that this is caused by the relatively small distance between the bearing sets riding on the gantry bar. I think if I were to change it I would use a setup similar to what some of commercial kits use , using two tubes/ 80/20 rails and two guides. I have routed so far 3/4 MDF, Plastics up to 3/4' some 3/4 Baltic birch ply with reasonably good accuracy as long as I keep the speeds under 60 IPM. I must say I have had my share of issues, but for now I think I will just use it as built and see if some adjustments can work the bugs out. For the most part I'm pretty pleased with how the machine is working.
    I have to say that epoxy bedding the sides made the aligning of the two side rails super easy.