Build thread: Mac's Momus X2S - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Build thread: Mac's Momus X2S

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Build thread: Mac's Momus X2S

I hate poplar. The density varies greatly, and the softer it is, the poorer the cut quality. Usually, the darker the color, the harder the wood. I really only use poplar if it will be painted.

As for dye, I like water soluble aniline powders. Alcohol dries too fast, and can be hard to get an even color.

Yes, the water does raise the grain, but there are workarounds. The nice thing is water is sooo easy to use. Just really flood it on, and wipe off with paper towels.

What I normally do is dye, and wait until fully dry. Could take an hour or two, or even longer, depending on conditions. I then spray water based poly on it, enough for a pretty thick layer. This may take 2-3 coats, because it runs easy if applied too thick. You can recoat in 5 minutes, so multiple coats isn't too bad. If I get runs or drips, I scrape them off and recoat when dry to the touch.
    After drying overnight, I sand with 220 grit, which removes all the raised grain/ Be careful not to sand through the finish.
    After sanding, one or two more coats and your done.

Both of you suggested going 3D for the shapes, but that just doesn't klick with me yet, since the main problem was the sanding.
    Because 3D carving would eliminate 95% of your sanding.

I would be doing it pretty much like Corey explained.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been following this thread for awhile as I plan to use some of your ideas when I build my momus.

Reading the comments and looking at the build of your cat shelves I think your approaching the build the wrong way. I do a lot of wood working, and although your approach is a sound one there are a few flaws. Like others have mentioned your spending a lot of time on making the glue up and then sanding. I think you would be better off, and much cheaper materials wise, if you were to do a bent lamination style glue up (If your not familiar here's a pretty good step by step of what it is http://www.wwgoa.com/replacing-a-bent-lamination/). If you read through the article you'll notice one point where he discusses spring back. Which is something you don't want. So rather than using solid wood which will spring back use bending plywood (Google it every company has their own name for their product). Using 6 pieces of 1/8" bending ply and a long open time glue will allow you to make your bases in about 15 min. Cut a solid piece to edge it with.

You would make a bunch of forms, put your bent laminations in them, and and put them in a vacuum press (Do-It-Yourself Vacuum Veneer Press). The next day take them out, put them on a vacuum platform in the cnc to trim to size, once all trimmed, put them on their side in another jig in the cnc to cut the mounting holes etc. Glue on the edge piece(s), and put on your finish.

One big advantage of the bending ply would be almost no sanding, once over with 220 and your done.

Your longest step should be finishing, which always makes or breaks a project. By using the bending forms you can also add a piece of showy veneer which could expand your product line, and make the shelves even fancier (I.E. you can charge more $$$$). You should have less than a total of an hour of labor in each of these.

Your also paying to much for the wood, in my area the poplar is about $1.25 a bf or less, for a 12" x 8' long piece it's $10. If you need it surfaced it's $.10 to $.15, a lineal foot. If you don't know of anyplace that sells to woodworkers let me know your state/city and I'll contact my network of liars and thieves and see if I can find you a local supplier that will sell you wood at a reasonable price.

Hope I didn't come across rude, I think you have a great idea and a neat product, and I hope you make a killing with them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good call on the bent lamination. Didn't even think of that. So the question becomes, do your spend more time making forms and at clue up with the lamination, or do you take more of the machine's time by having it doing the forming? From a production assembly point of view, it seems to me it would be more efficient to take more of the machine's time, giving more time for finishing work before reloading the machine. I guess it would really boil down to personal preference. More time at clue up, or more time waiting on the machine? I suppose you could try it both ways to determine which way would work best for you. Thoughts?

Good topic, by the way!

Corey

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess it comes down to his goal. My goal is usually to spend more time in the shop. So I build my furniture with traditional methods. If Mac's goal is to produce a little income I.E. a second job, I would think fast production would be the goal. My guess would be using the bent lamination method, gluing the laminations would be the fastest part. And could be done a little more assembly line. Such as pull last nights glue ups out of the bag, then while making tonights glue ups the cnc could be cutting end-caps, or trimming last nights glue-ups to size, etc.

I think the CNC would still be running as much, but he would be producing more.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mac ,I am close to finish my CNC and I would like to try you Chinese dragon if you don't mind sending me the G code.

Best regards

Olivier

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mac,

I quite new at CNC zone. I would like to know if you can send me the G code for the Chinese dragon you did with your impressive machine...

Here is my address : ocroizer@yahoo.ca

Thanks a lot

Olivier

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789