Router mount patterns?

Thread: Router mount patterns?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Router mount patterns?

Hi all, I'm new here. I started my build recently and have most of the metal work done and am thinking forward to the router. I see the recommended Ridgid 2400 is no longer available. Does the newer 2401 fit the mounts drawn in the plans or do they have to be modified. I've also been thinking about the Bosch Colt. Only $10 more and seems more powerful. Any templates for mounts for that router?

My router will primarily be used for carbon fiber and aluminum. I design and build chassis and parts for radio control offroad cars. Mostly prototype stuff for the company my son races for. I have been doing everything by hand on my Grizzly mini mill but I figured its time to go modern.

Here's the truck I just finished designing the chassis for.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1169054...at=directlink#

The suspension and drivetrain are from an existing truck but all the carbon fiber and aluminum bits in the chassis are my creation.

We have Nationals coming up in a couple weeks so the project is on temporary hold until that is done. Then, I'll get started on the wood work and electronics.

Thanks

Chris

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hiya Chris!

As far as clamps go, I highly recommend getting in touch with forums user "bjesson". He makes clamps for the 2400, 2401, and the Colt out of Delrin at a very reasonable price. I weighed the options...time and effort expended designing and manufacturing clamps for my 2401 (and possibly screwing up pricy materials in the process), or just getting some of Bill's. Easiest decision I've had to make for my build so far. Wouldn't hurt to give him a shout!

-Rick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! I will do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chris,

I would second the suggestion to contact billj for a set of clamps. For the amount of time saved, it is totally worth it. Plus it is kind of cool to have some nice precision parts that were actually milled on one of the machines that you are constructing. Last I heard he was making them in both Derlin and aluminum versions.

Any of those routers will work fine, but I believe the Bosch Colt is slightly larger in diameter, so the mounts need to position it a tiny bit more toward the front of the machine. Not really a problem at all, but it may just contact the plastic lid/door at the very front of the X axis travel .

Also, the Colt uses more aluminum in its case design, rather than all plastic like the Ridgid models, so it should be a bit more robust. I also believe the Colt comes in two versions, one with variable speed and one fixed speed. I've been contemplating picking up a single speed Colt and pairing it with a SuperPID controller.

-Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I just sent him a PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bosch router mount

(Hi everyone! This is my first post. I started off reading the build and mods threads. I'm pretty far into my build, and will spend some time playing catch up with my progress when I get a minute.)

Attached here is a DXF version and a quick JPEG of the mount I came up with for the Bosch Colt trim router.

The parts on the right side are for the upper clamp, and the parts on the left are for the lower clamp. The raised areas of the clamps should correspond with the metal faces of the router body when it's all oriented properly - when viewed from the top, the power cable should face to the left.

If you have one of these routers, you probably already realize that you'll need to reduce the spacing between the vertical positions of the clamps on the Z bar/plate. I have my studs placed at 1.25" apart O.C.

Keep in mind that if you want to use these for toolpathing, you'll need to round those inside corners. I cut these manually (well, with a band saw), so the only thing I used this layout for was to print out a template for cutting the 3" x 10" bar.

Philip

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router mount patterns?-bosch-mount-upper-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I've decided to go with the Ridgid R2401. I was sold on the Bosch but I've read quite a number of posts about the terrible runout on the new Bosch Colts. A friend of mine is having to buy another one because the original had so much runout, he was running too many parts. I don't want to have to go through that. So, back to the original question, does the 2401 fit in the 2400 mount or will I have to modify the mount?

Downloads
    Uploads

I plan on getting one of the TB-650's for PCB work at some time, they are beautifully made and the quick bit release design is absolutely fantastic! You'll definately appreciate that! They have only been very positively reviewed from what I've seen, but they are somewhat limited power-wise with what they are capable of. I just want it for the high precision and quiet aspect.

I have one of the generic 1.5kW spindle/VFD's from China and couldn't be happier with it. I far, far prefer water cooled to air cooled, and the speed, power, and noise levels are terrific. Having said that, I do plan on getting a 2.2kW to replace it with at some point to get that bit more power for serious aluminium work, without upping the power bills too dramatically. It really depends what your using it for, and the expected duty cycle. You would be very happy with one I can assure you, the only matter is whether the 2.2kW would be a better fit for your requirements.

If you check my blog you'll see a couple of videos I posted of the 1.5kW spindle quietly munching up aluminium with some info on feedrates.

cheers,
    Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the link. im wondering if one of these would be good to replace the ridgid router all together. as in skip the ridgid.

i plan of cutting aluminum mostly and some wood.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog23 View Post
    thanks for the link. im wondering if one of these would be good to replace the ridgid router all together. as in skip the ridgid.

i plan of cutting aluminum mostly and some wood.
    The TB wouldn't be suited to maching alu, but I would prefer a spindle over a router for cnc any day. No matter the size of the project OR the cnc machine!

There is a preference for a lot of people to stick with wood routers with their noisy brush motors sucking in dust, but I believe there is no benefit in this, and it is actually a performance, accuracy, and noise liability.

This is what the spindles are designed for! It will do the job, faster, quieter, and with more accuracy, for far longer than a wood router will. My opinion, and others here have disagreed with it, but that is what I think.

Costs more, true, but I long ago learned there are cheap tools, and there are good tools. I can't even begin to count the cheaper tools I've killed or had failed over the last 30 years.

cheers,
    Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Ian,

Seeing as youv'e already done some homework on the router vs spindle what size would be appropriate for a wood/aluminum cnc machine. I've absoluterly no idea how to size or even determine the power required to have an efficient cnc router as the Momus. I'd appreciate your insight on this and Thanks in advance, it'll be appreciated by me and others that are interested in this subject. Could you recommend some reading material about this as well.

Regards,

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Lee,

It all depends on what sort of sizes aluminium you'll be cutting and what your expactations with feed and cut rates are. Looking at the momus a 2.2kw spindle would be ideal for as much serious aluminium as you could want in a non-industrial machine but that may be just too big for the machine I strongly suspect. A 1.5kw spindle is still a little bigger and heavier than the trimmer router fitted commonly. While not as good, 1.5kw is still more than capable of serious continous work. My larger machine has that size, and if you have a look at the "machining aluminium" blog of mine you'll see a couple of videos that use it, I was very cautious and could have really cranked up the cut and speed without issues. I suspect an 0.8kw spindle may be the closest in size, weight and power rating to the trimmer routers, and may be what you are limited to depending on the rails, bearings, etc. My smaller 6040 has an 0.8kw spindle and this too is still a veritable beasty so don't let the size fool you into thinking they are not worth it!

Others have disagreed with me, and I respect their opinions, but my personal opinion is I would never, ever use a wood router on a cnc machine while I have better options, and a spindle is the only way to go for efficiency, speed control, noise, and dust control along with performance and tool life. If you are able to go to a 1.5kw spindle, that would be ideal, but I think it may not be a good fit physically and mechanically for the momus? It is a fair bit of weight for that sort of bearing rail design, especially given the smaller size. Oddly enough, you'll get a 1.5kw spindle and vfd (considerably) cheaper than a 0.8kw spindle and vfd!

cheers,
    Ian

It's a state of mind!