Stepper motor coast

Thread: Stepper motor coast

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper motor coast

This is probably a dumb question, since I'm a newbe, they are all dumb. When mounting your limit switches, do you have to allow for any coasting in the stepper motors? I don't want to crash into a switch when doing a raipd movement. I assume that you would also have to compensate for this when using rapids from one location to another.

Similar Threads:
    I don't make mistakes ... I make 'unintended engineering design changes'.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When you hit a limit switch the control software stops sending pulses. It's a dead stop. There is no coasting. Of course if you had a massive load that was moving at high speed the force of the sudden deceleration to a dead stop might be able to break the holding torque of the stepper but I don't think that your machine will have these capabilities...certainly not if it's a Momus.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OCNC said it perfectly. Just keep in mind when mounting your limit switches you dont want the body of the swith to be anywhere in the path of a bearing. Just the little arm should make contact. Most people are mounting limits underneath the rails a bit with the arm just high enough to engage the passing bearing. There are pics in this forum of various limit switch setups that can help you make good mounting decisions.

billj

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks- Not having any experience with stepper motors, I just couldn't imagine that a motor would come to a dead stop after the power was interupted. Most of my experience with motors are with 500 to 20,000HP motors powered with 480 to 15,000 volts and a shaft size of 2 ft. or so. Some of them take several minutes more to coast to a stop.

I don't make mistakes ... I make 'unintended engineering design changes'.