Ejector pin grinding/cut off machine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ejector pin grinding/cut off machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ejector pin grinding/cut off machine?

Have any of you made a ejector pin grinder?

I am in need of a pin cutter mostly just for cutting pins to length, they are expensive to purchase. There are a few ideas running around my head, but I am wondering what is a good proven way of doing this.

If you have made something that works good, or know of a decent affordable unit and could throw an idea my way it would be great.

Similar Threads:
    Live free or die

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A chop saw, surface grinder, v-block, a couple guage blocks, and a pair of mics are all you need. I can normaly whip through 20-30 pins in an hour with this method.
    I've used a side wheel in a grinder before but its a little slower.

Pin grinders are nice but I can think of several other things I'd rather have.

Downloads
    Uploads

I ha ve a fixture that I made years ago, basically a v-block that I can lay down on the chuck or stand up on end. I always cut all my pins off at once, then stand the fixture up and grind the ends to lengh. The cut-off/gind machines that DME sells, only do side grinding, which leaves a rougher finish on the end of the pins, which I never liked. However, for really long pins, 10-14 inches, I have to side grind those anyway.

I worked at a shop once and we made some fixtures to grind pins, they had holes reamed in tso plates to fit the pins, these plates were mounted on a third base plate and one of them could be moved to set the length. I hated those things with a passion, once you got grinding dust in those holes, it was useless.

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

You still use a surface grinder to finish them to lenght?

Thats the problem, I dont have a surface grinder to work with.

Live free or die

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I use the surface grinder, that's how I have always done them and if it aint broke don't fix it. Now, without a surface grinder that could be a problem.

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

I am thinking a small surface grinder wound be the ticket, I hate not having one around.

Things are kinda difficult when you are still just a start up shop.

Live free or die

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have a ejector pin grinder, this thing works slick, it cuts the pin with a cutoff wheel in one direction and grinds the pin to length the other direction, accuracy and repeatability is easy .0005-.001 with a pin up to .375 dia. It takes about 5 seconds a pin if that. Anything bigger I would use the cutoff wheel and surface grinder method.

Downloads
    Uploads

Chuck,

Have you ever used the grinding wheel in the mill spindle trick? Just make an arbor with a straight shank so that you can hold it in a mill spindle. Then turn the speed up and grind away.

You could also use a tool post grinder in a lathe.

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
    Chuck,

Have you ever used the grinding wheel in the mill spindle trick? Just make an arbor with a straight shank so that you can hold it in a mill spindle. Then turn the speed up and grind away.

You could also use a tool post grinder in a lathe.

Jim

I had thought about the tool post grinder trick, but I hadn't thought about the mill idea.

Maybe thats the way I should go about this whole thing.

Live free or die

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You guys will all think I am nuts. I am in a shop that has limited equipment. I have been a tool maker for 30 years. I have got a feel for grinding pins on a snag grinder and can keep them with in .001 or .002 (here come the nay sayers). You just get use to the feel and know a good touch from a bad touch. It can be done. But you will waste a couple of pins durring the learning process. You would be surprised what you can do when you don't have the right tool handy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    You guys will all think I am nuts. I am in a shop that has limited equipment. I have been a tool maker for 30 years. I have got a feel for grinding pins on a snag grinder and can keep them with in .001 or .002 (here come the nay sayers). You just get use to the feel and know a good touch from a bad touch. It can be done. But you will waste a couple of pins durring the learning process. You would be surprised what you can do when you don't have the right tool handy.
    What do you mean by "snag grinder", I have been just using a bench grinder and its working fine for me. I thought hey if I can thin the web on a 1/8" twist drill then grinding a pin flat should be a piece of cake. It turns out that it is a piece of cake, or at least no problems so far.

I am not a nay sayer, your a craftsmen and thats all there is to it.

3 cheers for talent and experience!

Live free or die

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes what we call a snag grinder is a bench or pedistal grinder. The Great White North? You guys are the best in Canada. I did a trade show in Edmonton several years back. Nicest place with the friendliest people on the earth. Glad to see the Loonie and the Toonie doing well. Back to the grinder think we have used the v-block and a stop, cut off wheel on a surface grinder. Hey the trick on the snag grinder is to learn on larger dia. pins at first and then slowly work your way down to the .062 dia. ones. I get those with in .003 and stone them if they are critical. You would also be amazed at what you can do with a dremel tool. Have fun.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Yes what we call a snag grinder is a bench or pedistal grinder. The Great White North? You guys are the best in Canada. I did a trade show in Edmonton several years back. Nicest place with the friendliest people on the earth. Glad to see the Loonie and the Toonie doing well. Back to the grinder think we have used the v-block and a stop, cut off wheel on a surface grinder. Hey the trick on the snag grinder is to learn on larger dia. pins at first and then slowly work your way down to the .062 dia. ones. I get those with in .003 and stone them if they are critical. You would also be amazed at what you can do with a dremel tool. Have fun.

Edmonton is where I am at as a matter of fact.

I use my small pencil air grinder all the time, works like the cats pyjamas.

Live free or die

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, for all of us guys who don't have the knack of snag grinding to within +/- 0.001", I guess we could make an adjustable fixture and attach that to our pedastal grinder.

It would just need to be a V-block mounted perpendicular to the side of the wheel, and have an adjustable stop for the pin head to set against. The stop could be adjustable with a threaded rod.

Project time again!

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, for all of us guys who don't have the knack of snag grinding to within +/- 0.001", I guess we could make an adjustable fixture and attach that to our pedastal grinder.

It would just need to be a V-block mounted perpendicular to the side of the wheel, and have an adjustable stop for the pin head to set against. The stop could be adjustable with a threaded rod.

Project time again!

Jim
    There ya go!

I bet that fixture will find other uses over time too.

One more thought, much as I like my Tool & Cutter grinder, I like my disc grinder better. I'd be tempted to make a fixture for a disc grinder. Mine definitely cuts flat very easily.

Cheers,

BW

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Before I got my surface grinder I used my disk sander with a 60 grit blue pad on it. I would clamp a v-block perpendicular to the sanding surface - about .060-.100" away.

JP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Snag grinder eh? We used a big ol 10hp disc sander with a pin fixture set up at 90 degrees and double checked with a height gauge on a stand next to it. Cavemanish yes - but very quick and effective when you're in small shop. Do enough of them and you learn to be very efficient at it.
    There are commercial ejector pin vises that can be purchased by component suppliers now that are quite good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I ha ve a fixture that I made years ago, basically a v-block that I can lay down on the chuck or stand up on end. I always cut all my pins off at once, then stand the fixture up and grind the ends to lengh. The cut-off/gind machines that DME sells, only do side grinding, which leaves a rougher finish on the end of the pins, which I never liked. However, for really long pins, 10-14 inches, I have to side grind those anyway.

I worked at a shop once and we made some fixtures to grind pins, they had holes reamed in tso plates to fit the pins, these plates were mounted on a third base plate and one of them could be moved to set the length. I hated those things with a passion, once you got grinding dust in those holes, it was useless.

Jim
    I have a v block fixture that lays down horizontally with an adjustable stop. Made another fixture that has a v block on a slider and base with multiple "vee's" for various pin diameters.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pin cutting

We have two chop saws that we modified with digital mics as stops. Purchased a handful of standards that go from 1" up to 6" to help offset the stop. You might sacrifice the first pin as a "tageting shot" but once you get it dialed in you can cut like crazy and hold some good tolerance. We have a small chop saw for the small pins and a large one for the large pins.

If the pins are under the part then generally the chop saws get close enough. If it is on the appeance side of the part then we cut overside and use the gang V block set-up, 8 pins at once.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ejector pin grinding/cut off machine?-p1010011-jpg   Ejector pin grinding/cut off machine?-p1010012-jpg   Ejector pin grinding/cut off machine?-p1010013-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default we can supply the ejector pin cutting machine

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Reamer View Post
    Have any of you made a ejector pin grinder?

I am in need of a pin cutter mostly just for cutting pins to length, they are expensive to purchase. There are a few ideas running around my head, but I am wondering what is a good proven way of doing this.

If you have made something that works good, or know of a decent affordable unit and could throw an idea my way it would be great.
    Dear sir, we are manufacture for ejector pin cutting machine in China, we can supply you at our best price with high quality, if you have interest, you can have visit for our website.

Top manufacture for grinder and air tapping machine
    www.thorgrinder.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast