Need Help! Large Cast Part, Rigid Mould Advice

Thread: Large Cast Part, Rigid Mould Advice

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Large Cast Part, Rigid Mould Advice

Hello all,

I need some advice for a small run of parts I need to cast.

The part is essentially a hollow hemisphere with a flange and o-ring groove and a filling port.
    For scale the sphere diameter is 170mm (~7") and the wall thickness is 5mm (~1/4").
    I need to make around 10 of these parts and a key factor is that they are as dimensionally accurate as possible. They need to be rigid and transparent, so I'm thinking of using a resin.
    Large Cast Part, Rigid Mould Advice-concept_1_outside-jpgLarge Cast Part, Rigid Mould Advice-concept_1_inside_section-jpg

My concern is how best to produce the moulds for casting. I think it needs to be a two part design, but if I use silicone I worry that the large mass and cavities of the moulds would not remain dimensionally accurate.
    (This is just a concept section view to illustrate the point, I haven't designed the mould yet)
    Large Cast Part, Rigid Mould Advice-concpet_1_two_part_mould-jpg

Does the mould need to be flexible? Could I just get the two mould halves CNC machined / 3D printed from a rigid material, or would removing a rigid cast from a rigid mould be too difficult?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Large Cast Part, Rigid Mould Advice

Assuming that all the holes and edges in the model are drafted sufficiently, then a rigid mold should work. A fiberglass-reinforced polyester or epoxy layup would be lighter, cheaper, and more dimensionally stable than the silicone block you've drawn. A 3D printed mold would not be as strong, since they tend to come apart at the lamination lines. Use several layers of a good mold release and you should be fine.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I'm new to this. When you say polyester or epoxy layup, would that involve creating a master pattern and then forming the moulds over that by hand, including features like keys for alignment?

Cost isn't a major issue, but I need to ensure very high quality parts and as this is my first time casting I'd like to simplify the process somewhat.

I would need to get the master part machined anyway, could I instead design the two moulds and get them machined? They are around 100mm deep so not sure what material choices I would have. Would something like Renshape offer a quality surface finish for transparent resin, and hold up to 10+ castings? Overkill I know but how about solid aluminium moulds?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bradlar90 View Post
    OK, I'm new to this. When you say polyester or epoxy layup, would that involve creating a master pattern and then forming the moulds over that by hand, including features like keys for alignment?

[Right.]

Cost isn't a major issue, but I need to ensure very high quality parts and as this is my first time casting I'd like to simplify the process somewhat.

I would need to get the master part machined anyway, could I instead design the two moulds and get them machined?

[The master part could either be machined or printed. I suppose you could machine the molds from big blocks of plastic instead of laying them up, but the amount of material and the cost would be a lot higher, while the strength would be lower.]

They are around 100mm deep so not sure what material choices I would have. Would something like Renshape offer a quality surface finish for transparent resin, and hold up to 10+ castings?

[Renshape would be acceptable as a material for the model, but not for the molds.]

Overkill I know but how about solid aluminium moulds?
    [They would probably work, but be sitting down when you read the quotes for that...]

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Andrew. A CNC machined Renhape or Aluminum mold would work fine but cost may be an issue.
    If you take the time and expense to machine a master pattern you might as well machine a mold.

Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    depryor@davidwolfedesign.com