Aluminum mold design questions

Thread: Aluminum mold design questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Aluminum mold design questions

Good day everyone!!

New member and new to mold making.

I am attempting to make a two part mold used for making a composite (carbon fiber) part similar to an airplane wing. One requirement is the part needs to remain hollow. Thinking I can use the two part mold, a pressurized bladder, prepreg CF and a heated platen to make my part.

This link is basically the process I plan to use. Build-to-print: Done better : CompositesWorld

The part is not an actual wing but very close and not used for flying. Picture of the mold I am wanting to replicate is supposed to be attached to this thread.

My questions for everyone here is:

1. If my finished part is 5/8'' thick at the thickest point, how thick should my stock aluminum be? 2-3x the thickness of the max milled thickness? 3 x .625''= 1.875'' but thinner aluminum = cheaper mold for me.

2. How far from the edges of my stock be to the edge of my milled part? I was gonna use 2'' from all areas but don't know. Just guessing.

3. Assuming I need to use 6061 aluminum. Correct?

4. Best bladder material? I have researched this extensively and still haven't come up with great ideas. Any ideas would be BIGGLEY appreciated.

5. PSI the bladder is inflated to? Thinking 80psi. Thought I read that somewhere else.

About me...I have the Laguna IQ cnc machine with VCarve Pro for CAM and Rhino 5 for CAD.

Be well,
    Dave

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aluminum mold design questions-wingmold-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Aluminum mold design questions

davidtown

I would not mess with a bladder, they do work ok, making/machining a solid core would most likely be easier to work with, and could be accuracy fitted to the face of the mold ( open end ) for alignment

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    davidtown

I would not mess with a bladder, they do work ok, making/machining a solid core would most likely be easier to work with, and could be accuracy fitted to the face of the mold ( open end ) for alignment

Thanks for the reply. I know even less about what you are describing but will research it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davidtown View Post
    Good day everyone!!

New member and new to mold making.

I am attempting to make a two part mold used for making a composite (carbon fiber) part similar to an airplane wing. One requirement is the part needs to remain hollow. Thinking I can use the two part mold, a pressurized bladder, prepreg CF and a heated platen to make my part.

This link is basically the process I plan to use. Build-to-print: Done better : CompositesWorld

The part is not an actual wing but very close and not used for flying. Picture of the mold I am wanting to replicate is supposed to be attached to this thread.

My questions for everyone here is:

1. If my finished part is 5/8'' thick at the thickest point, how thick should my stock aluminum be? 2-3x the thickness of the max milled thickness? 3 x .625''= 1.875'' but thinner aluminum = cheaper mold for me.

2. How far from the edges of my stock be to the edge of my milled part? I was gonna use 2'' from all areas but don't know. Just guessing.

3. Assuming I need to use 6061 aluminum. Correct?

4. Best bladder material? I have researched this extensively and still haven't come up with great ideas. Any ideas would be BIGGLEY appreciated.

5. PSI the bladder is inflated to? Thinking 80psi. Thought I read that somewhere else.

About me...I have the Laguna IQ cnc machine with VCarve Pro for CAM and Rhino 5 for CAD.

Be well,
    Dave
    Do you plan on co-curing the part? Is it a production part? If you plan a co cure part switch to wet layup and use expanding pour foam while the mold is closed. Room temp cure and the part pops out just fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

In that article, they speak of a silicone rubber bladder. I don't know of any other flexible material that would withstand the temperatures required by that process. But if, as was suggested above, you go to a room-temperature process, then a lot of other materials become feasible, including fiberglass molds instead of aluminum ones.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    In that article, they speak of a silicone rubber bladder. I don't know of any other flexible material that would withstand the temperatures required by that process. But if, as was suggested above, you go to a room-temperature process, then a lot of other materials become feasible, including fiberglass molds instead of aluminum ones.
    In a closed mold you can use a "silicon intensifier". It is a solid cast piece of silicone. It expands against the mold walls when heated. The silicon "bladder" you are thinking of may be a vacuum bag. I have never used a process that inflated a bag inside a mold so can't offer advice on that.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would make two molds
    1. for the "dis-solvable" core for the Inner mold line, pour and cure core.
    Wrap and trim for next mold.
    2. final mold for pre-preg composite and the cooking process.
    3. dissolve after cooking.

I did a dry load, foam / cloth RTM wing while in hi-tech land.

done this easily, and can elaborate

Been doing this too long