Need Help! Please i need advice in the plastic injection industry

Thread: Please i need advice in the plastic injection industry

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Please i need advice in the plastic injection industry

Each brand of injection molding machine is a little different, so you need to make sure the mold you make is compatible with the machine you're going to be using it on. Something as large as a motorcycle fender is going to take a very big injection molding machine. They are classed by the amount of plastic they will deliver in a single shot, so weigh your largest intended product to see how large a machine you'll need, and find someone local who has one. They will be able to give you the specifications for the mold it wants. China does offer very inexpensive mold-making, but make sure you can communicate well with the company that's making them for you, since mistakes will be costly.

Here's a site that offers good free information on injection molding; their "whitepapers" are a good guide to some of the issues involved: https://www.protolabs.com/resources/whitepapers

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

From what I remember working at (a well known brand ) container manufacturer was the big machines take not only a lot of space but a considerable amount of power .I would think the cost against the profit would not mach a mold made in china then someone here could punch them out cheaper in the long run.I would think competing with the Chinese for bike parts is a dangerous game a bit like the fiberglass molds I have made there is not enough demand ,I can buy a carbon front guard out of Spain for less than my material cost ,good luck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank You very Much for your early reply , actually the front fender is not That Big the front fender is divided into 2 parts À and B
    A=500g. And B=600g
    Do you have any other countries that is better then China in terms of quality and price ?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have 15 years in the plastic injection molding industry. The above info is correct the machines are rather large depending on the size of the part. The size of the part determines the barrel size of the machine as well as the clamping tonnage required. You may find that you need different sized machines for different parts. There are ways around that, but it may be the case

Another consideration is the auxillary equipment needed to operate the molding machine. Aside from the machine itself you will need a water chiller to cool the molds during operation, a granulator to recycle imperfect parts, so sort of mixing and coloring device ( their are a couple options there). I'm not trying to discourage you, it is a totally feasible situation. Just remember you need volume to keep those machines going. You may find itself picking up custom work for others in your down time. Again, not a problem just a thought.

In regards to molding in China. The tooling from there is usually okay, but I would warn against having it actually molded there. I have heard horror stories of terrible quality and inconsistency of products. That is paired with the fact that if you try to change your molder away from China you can have an amazingly difficult time getting your tool/mold back. Sometimes they hold it hostage, and you literally have to buy new in the states.

If you are serious about this project I can put you in touch with someone who will walk you through the entire process. I do a lot of contract work on the CAD side for a local injection company ( Cincinnati), and I'm sure they will be happy to help you out.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A 600g part is actually a fairly large part and chances are that to make just a mold for a part of this size is going to cost you tens of thousands of dollars. I don't want to discourage you and I have no idea how much you already know about injection molding, but make sure to do plenty of re-search before you start buying machinery/tools.