Resin Casting Options

Thread: Resin Casting Options

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Resin Casting Options

Hello, not sure if this is the correct section for this post but thought I'd start here. My name is Dan and I have a 1/25th scale model car resin casting business. We cast mostly wheels and tires along with several detail parts. The "masters" are cast in silicone rubber molds. Urethane plastic is used for the detail and wheel parts, while the tires are cast in urethane rubber. This is the standard method for small aftermarket shops like mine. My business has been steadily growing and now I finding it hard to keep up with the constant recycling of molds. What I'm looking for is an alternative way to mass produce my products. The big guys like Round 2, Modius and Revell use styrene injection machines with steel/metal dies. Their product lines are extensive and they invest 100's of thousands dollars in tooling and machinery, which of course I can't afford to do. I need some advice, suggestion or contacts to help me find more productive method for casting. Are there small injection machines available? Maybe some composite material to use as dies/molds that are more cost effective then the traditional steel dies? Thanks in advance for any information that could be passed along. ...Dan

Here's a link to my web site if this would be helpful SCENES UNLIMITED

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Resin Casting Options

You can inject into steel-filled epoxy, but you don't get the mold life you'd get from steel molds - figure 100 parts before the mold's too deteriorated to use. Aluminum molds will last a lot longer, like to 1000 parts, but still not as long as steel. But aluminum is a lot easier to work with than steel, so it may be something to look into. If you have 3D CAD models and got a precise desktop mill like the ACT machine we sell, you could make your own aluminum molds.

You can get small plastic-injection machines, like the Morgan: Morgan Industries ? Plastic Injection Molding Machines for Small and Large Runs

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Resin Casting Options

Thank you Andrew, really appreciate the info and suggestions. I definitely have some research to do. We're growing enough to warrant looking at being more efficient and productive and believe some sort of injection system would work best. Also has to be cost effective at the same time. Finding an injection system that is suitable is a concern but the molds are really the biggest issue I see. Like you mentioned, should I invest in a 3D CAD and desktop mill, making the molds myself or would it be more cost effective and time saving to search for a company to make them. I also need to look at equipment and mold size. Again, thank you for your input, I have a lot to look into....Danny