Cooling water for Boy injection molding machine and oil cooler

Thread: Cooling water for Boy injection molding machine and oil cooler

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cooling water for Boy injection molding machine and oil cooler

I just got my Boy 15S molding machine yesterday and started looking through the manual and I have some questions.

There are ports for a cooler for the hydraulic oil. I am going to use the machine for short runs, not high volume production all day long. I can measure the oil temp and see how long the machine can run before it starts getting hot, but is there a general rule as to what amount of use an oil cooler becomes necessary or is it necessary regardless of how long I plan to run it.

For the cooling water I have a few questions. Where I live I only have well water with a lot of iron in it. If I blow out the lines after using the machine will I have a problem using my water or will it be necessary to have some type of water conditioner to use cleaner water to prevent damage to the machine?

The manual mentions a water cooler also. For doing short run production with essentially free water is there any problem with just pumping fresh water in and dumping (or watering the lawn) with what comes out or is it necessary to have a closed loop system with the water recirculating? I am wondering about recirculating because from what I have been reading the water is used to heat the mold also and keep it at a regulated temperature, not just to cool it. This brings me to my other question.

Looks like the water lines route through one of the heaters on the screw. I am wondering if this is where the water gets heated to heat up the mold. If so, this again brings up the question about recirculating the water that is at a regulated temperature. Or does the machine take care of routing cold incoming water and/or the right amount of heated water to keep the mold at the right temp and I don't have to worry about it. I don't see any sensors or controls for mold temp on the machine or mention in the manual.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cooling water for Boy injection molding machine and oil cooler

A little late on this, but I'll throw my input in.

Quote Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
    I just got my Boy 15S molding machine yesterday and started looking through the manual and I have some questions.

There are ports for a cooler for the hydraulic oil. I am going to use the machine for short runs, not high volume production all day long. I can measure the oil temp and see how long the machine can run before it starts getting hot, but is there a general rule as to what amount of use an oil cooler becomes necessary or is it necessary regardless of how long I plan to run it.

You technically can get away without running water on the heat exchanger. BUT, I don't recommend it. If your "short" runs are less than say 50 cycles, you would be fine.

For the cooling water I have a few questions. Where I live I only have well water with a lot of iron in it. If I blow out the lines after using the machine will I have a problem using my water or will it be necessary to have some type of water conditioner to use cleaner water to prevent damage to the machine?

You're really best off running some type of water treatment system to make sure all your lines (especially the corrosive metals) don't get crudded up or rusted.

The manual mentions a water cooler also. For doing short run production with essentially free water is there any problem with just pumping fresh water in and dumping (or watering the lawn) with what comes out or is it necessary to have a closed loop system with the water recirculating? I am wondering about recirculating because from what I have been reading the water is used to heat the mold also and keep it at a regulated temperature, not just to cool it. This brings me to my other question.

The cooler or "chiller" is what keeps your hydraulic system, mold and feed throat cool. You could technically do what you said, but again, I wouldn't.

Looks like the water lines route through one of the heaters on the screw. I am wondering if this is where the water gets heated to heat up the mold. If so, this again brings up the question about recirculating the water that is at a regulated temperature. Or does the machine take care of routing cold incoming water and/or the right amount of heated water to keep the mold at the right temp and I don't have to worry about it. I don't see any sensors or controls for mold temp on the machine or mention in the manual.

No, to heat the mold, you have to use a mold temperature controller. That's it's own separate system. For the screw cooling (it's just a cooling for the feed throat so that incoming material doesn't melt before it even hits the screw), we just use the same lines that go to the heat exchanger.

So, my suggestion is to get a small water chiller. Hook it up to the heat exchanger and feed throat. It will circulate water for you, and have a water sample sent out, they can tell you what exactly is in your water, from there get some pricing on chemicals to counteract anything that is in the water to keep your machine clean. It's a closed loop system, so you wouldn't have to worry about keeping the water tank full or anything.

For the mold, depending on what materials you run, you can use the chilled water on the mold. If you're running nylon, ABS, or anything like that, that's when you need heated water.

If you need any more help, feel free to email me.

Mitchell Parker
    Parker Precision Molding, Inc.
    mparker@parkerprecisionmolding.com

Mitchell Parker
    Parker Precision Molding, Inc.