Recommendation for CNC Mill for making Aluminum molds - Need a little help

Thread: Recommendation for CNC Mill for making Aluminum molds - Need a little help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Recommendation for CNC Mill for making Aluminum molds - Need a little help

I am considering buying a small mill for making aluminum molds; 7075, QC-10, Alumold, Fortal. The molds are for making short run injection molded production plastic parts. Probably the largest piece would be in the range of 10 x 10".
    I want to minimize the finishing required for the mold. Machining speed is not the issue as a lot of the time it would sit idle waiting for instructions; it is really to reduce the turnaround time and control costs for the molds. Having said that, I want to be smart about my purchase and make sure I get the right machine for the job. And I am torn between buying a good used machine or opening my wallet further for a new machine.
    Quite frankly the shear volume of information and available machines is a little overwhelming. Hence, I am looking for some recommendations/guidance on purchasing a machine. This my first CNC machine purchase and I want to get it right. I will hire an operator but most around here are not used to making molds and I do not trust their opinion to get it right. Any takers?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recommendation for CNC Mill for making Aluminum molds - Need a little help

check out the two CNC machines that Novakon have to offer
    here is there forum on this sight http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novakon-systems/
    Enjoy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recommendation for CNC Mill for making Aluminum molds - Need a little help

I have seen their site. I have also seen Novakon Sucks. WARNING .... Not sure what to think.

Downloads
    Uploads

Likely, novakon or tormach will work out fine for that use.
    In bigger, industrial users, moldworkers seemed to use around 1mm end mill at 10-12.000 rpm and long run times (10-30 hours) to finish the molds.
    Spindle load was essentially zero (on 25 kW mills).

DOC is really small for finishing the molds. Stresses are small. Chips are really small.
    Runtimes are long.