2 stroke cylinder Jug mold copy??

Thread: 2 stroke cylinder Jug mold copy??

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2 stroke cylinder Jug mold copy??

Hello I am wonderign if maybe someone here can point me in the right direction or will have some insight as to what i am asking.I have a rare part that is no longer produced.It is a cylinder jug/head for a 2 stroke watercooled engine.I am wondering if there is any way to make a mold of this part and have it repeoduced.Would anyone be able to tell me if this is possible??and how hard and involved would it be??Here are some pictures of the part in question.Now the company no longer exists and these pieces are very rare and hard to come by.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by CnCustoms; 06-23-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Cool piece. You won't be able to "cast it", as there are blind passageways. I'd scan it with my NextEngine scanner, pay someone to make a usable solid model of it, then work on carving out the passageways for the coolant and intake flow. If the CAD works out, you could get them CNCd from billet. I'm not sure there's cost savings in molding, as the end product is going to need CNC work for the bore and each face.

I'm curious about any new update on this? I actually have some more ideas about casting... PM or reply and we can talk off line.
    Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by unexpectedly View Post
    Cool piece. You won't be able to "cast it", as there are blind passageways. I'd scan it with my NextEngine scanner, pay someone to make a usable solid model of it, then work on carving out the passageways for the coolant and intake flow. If the CAD works out, you could get them CNCd from billet. I'm not sure there's cost savings in molding, as the end product is going to need CNC work for the bore and each face.
    That part can be cast with the blind passages, these are created with sand cores that are inserted into the mold before the metal is poured. There are pattern makers around who could take that part and make patterns to replicate what you have. It night be difficilt to get a very accurate representation of the internal passages without having to section the part.

If you want a one off replica using the Quickcast method, you can make an SLA pattern copy from a CAD model, that becomes the form that a shell is created over in the investment castig process. It would be very expensive to make a one off of that part from Quickcast

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2 stroke cylinder Jug mold copy??

I'm sorry to bring such an old post back from the dead, but I created an account just so I could ask a few questions. I'm coming up with a hairbrained plan to cast a set of DOHC cylinder heads for my SOHC car to try to squeeze some more power out of the block, but am having a difficult time wrapping my head around the casting process.

I understand the basics (Make mold, get molten metal, pour into mold, let it cool), but am missing the logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    That part can be cast with the blind passages, these are created with sand cores that are inserted into the mold before the metal is poured. There are pattern makers around who could take that part and make patterns to replicate what you have. It night be difficult to get a very accurate representation of the internal passages without having to section the part.
    For example, since there are hidden passages in the piece, I know that I'll need to put some kind of sand cores into the mold to keep this passageways open during the casting process, but I can't find ANYWHERE where it explains how to make the sand casts. I've tried to find videos and I've looked through tons of posts on several forums without finding an answer or tutorial of some sorts explaining how to make the cast that goes inside the mold. Any ideas as to where I should look would be much appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

pls send me product 2D drawing ,let me see if we can design and open die casting mold and supply product for you

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CnCustoms View Post
    Hello I am wonderign if maybe someone here can point me in the right direction or will have some insight as to what i am asking.I have a rare part that is no longer produced.It is a cylinder jug/head for a 2 stroke watercooled engine.I am wondering if there is any way to make a mold of this part and have it repeoduced.Would anyone be able to tell me if this is possible??and how hard and involved would it be??Here are some pictures of the part in question.Now the company no longer exists and these pieces are very rare and hard to come by.

pls send me product 2D drawing , let me see if I can design and open mold and supply product for you