Build Thread 7 x 10 project started - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 7 x 10 project started

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I'm worried sick that my $29 stepper motor will self-destruct from all that punishment.

Think about it: how much force do you honestly think the leadscrew will induce on the motor from light machining? My entire setup is relatively light-duty, including the delrin leadnut. And used within that context it will be perfectly suitable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    Yeah, I'm worried sick that my $29 stepper motor will self-destruct from all that punishment.

Think about it: how much force do you honestly think the leadscrew will induce on the motor from light machining? My entire setup is relatively light-duty, including the delrin leadnut. And used within that context it will be perfectly suitable.
    Your approach is very pragmatic and avoids the over-engineering trap we tend to fall into. If it fails after a year or use, you can simply treat the motors as consumables and replace them, if it fails after a week, then you probably have to do some re-engineering.

bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just trying to be helpful. If you flipped that motor over to the other side of the aluminum and added two thrust bearings ($3 at enco), it would last as long as the lathe. Obviously, it is your money and you will spend it as you please.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yer gittin' ripped, man! Stepperz is free http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105904

j/k + shameless plug at my own thread :rainfro:

Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've actually looked at how I can add small thrust bearings to each end of the motor. There's ample room on the shafts, and that would allow the motor endcaps to absorb the load. I'm honestly not the least concerned about it though. That motor is built heavier than the abuse it's going to see.

rcazwillis: I looked at mounting the motor the other way, but one of my primary requirements was to keep the footprint small, with no motors sticking out.
    My lathe takes up more than half of my small 4' workbench as it is.

knudsen: you're gonna need those steppers, bro! I will take you up on the heatsink though! :rainfro:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

rcazwillis: I looked at mounting the motor the other way, but one of my primary requirements was to keep the footprint small, with no motors sticking out.
    My lathe takes up more than half of my small 4' workbench as it is.
    My compliments on keeping the package tight. Nicely done!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you!

Still considering CNC'ing my HF 4x5 mini-lathe so I can reclaim some bench space back!
    It's not nearly the lathe that the 7x10 is, but it's not a bad little lathe anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads

One on the left is made to bolt drivers in the void between the fins. It's 3 x 4 in., but it could be cut to use one side, 1.4" x 3" or less. 1" tall. It's kind of light for cooling a board.

The one on the right is real heavy and is 3.1 x 3.5 in. and 1.8" tall. Each half would be 1.8" wide and 3.5" long. One side would be 3/4" tall, the other about 1 1/8" tall. Length of the halves could be trimmed, width might look funny if that matters.

Would one of these work? I can machine it for you if you measure the area it will attach to.

Do you have thermal paste? That makes a big difference.

Oh, just saw your PM. I'd use the one on the right.

Want a fan for it? (if I can rig one up)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7 x 10 project started-dscf2768-jpg  
    Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice! Either one looks like it would work good, but the heavier one on the right would be easier to mount a fan to, and I like the taller fins. I don't have any thermal paste (good call, btw), but I'm think I can get some from a buddy at work who just bought a bunch for working on his PlayStation.

Back in the day when I was always building desktop computers, I had tons of NICE heatsink/fan combonations that would have been perfect. Bet the Purdue junk shop has a few!

They (Gecko) did studies that found simple cooling fans are sufficient, but I'd still rather put a nice heat sink on it to be safe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Big heat sinc will buy you a lot of time if something is trying to heat up or if the outputs get shorted. PC Power and Cooling claims semiconductors live twice as long for every 10 deg C of temp drop.

(Mafia voice on)

So Blades, doos yous wants to do da machinins or doos yous wants me to do da machinins? Ones of us gatta puts a hurtin on da aluminaute.

(Mafia voice off)

No offense to any mafia members, and please don't break my legs again

How much room above the board? Nice to mount a fan on top blowing down. I might have a smaller one to blow across if were running low on real estate.

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL, break your legs AGAIN? Didn't know there was any Mafia type activity in that town.
    Remind me to tell you about my ... uh.... experience at a park on the river there in WL. :rainfro:

I did find a fan to use, and it's pretty good size. Room is no problem. I'll be posting a pic of my new computer/electronics enclosure soon, I just finished it today.

I would really appreciate you doing the machining, since I seem to have misplaced (or maybe I sold) my X2 mill.
    BTW: either heat looks like it will work good for me, so give me the one you're least fond of (or the one you hate the most).

Downloads
    Uploads

I hate them both We'll go with the big daddy. I have enough heat sincs to keep me busy for a long, long time!

Mafia here is not as badass as they would have you believe. To get in you don't have to kill anyone, just take the old lady/cross-guard's whistle away. If you feel bad you can give it back, but you gotta take out the pea.

Downloads
    Uploads

PFFFFFFTTTTTTT........ Hahahaha.... you're not right, buddy!

Downloads
    Uploads

Not right at so many levels!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

im also converting my lathe, i guess i should post a new thread but im super newb at all this stuff...

pretty much here is a drawing i did to replace the compound slide piece. ill some how machine this out of steel, the countersink holes are to connect to the round black piece that holds the compound slide in place, bottom hole is the location "pin" and top is an M10x1.5 tapped hole for the tool post which mine is a quick change post

height is 1.57" same as the oem one, diameter is 2.1"

7 x 10 project started-compound-slide-replacement-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome aboard, gurew. You might want to lower it a bit, depending on your qctp. Even the smallest qctp I know of, an 0XA, is about 1/4 too tall on the original crossfeed. It will work that way, except for parting. I think the 0XA is 60% the size of AXA, so if you have an AXA, you might need it even lower. Of course, if you've run it manually with the crossfeed, you already know how it fits.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gurew View Post
    im also converting my lathe, i guess i should post a new thread but im super newb at all this stuff...
    Hey gurew, welcome to the zone! By all means, start a new thread if you're doing a complete conversion. Will help keep the different conversion projects seperate.

What you've drawn is pretty much what I made for my lathe. It's nice and solid. Plus, I used the small crank handle on the X axis, and used the original X axis handle on the Z.

<a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini-lathe/82871-7-x-10-project-started.html" target="_blank">7X10 Lathe conversion</a>
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-source-cnc-machine-designs/335846-cnc.html" target="_blank">Custom X-Carve router</a>
    <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/tooldesign" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a>

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey gurew, welcome to the zone! By all means, start a new thread if you're doing a complete conversion. Will help keep the different conversion projects seperate.

What you've drawn is pretty much what I made for my lathe. It's nice and solid. Plus, I used the small crank handle on the X axis, and used the original X axis handle on the Z.

heh i went the ghetto way for now since i dont have access to my lathe or a mill...sadly i cut the old compound slide and tig welded it to get the height i wanted while checking for warpage/sagging etc. thank god im a welder by trade..made this task easier haha

Downloads
    Uploads

The ghetto's not a bad way to go. Let us know how it works out!:rainfro:

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm all about ghetto done right! :rainfro:

<a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini-lathe/82871-7-x-10-project-started.html" target="_blank">7X10 Lathe conversion</a>
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-source-cnc-machine-designs/335846-cnc.html" target="_blank">Custom X-Carve router</a>
    <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/tooldesign" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a>

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast