Build Thread 7 x 10 project started - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 x 10 project started

Downloads
    Uploads

A bit more done today: mounted the flatpanel to the back of the lathe. Now I need a chipguard over the monitor. Still waiting to order the ever-elusive G540. Thought I was going to get it a few weeks ago, but other stuff came up. Most likely within the next couple months I'll be able to get it.
    Down side is that I'm being sent to San Antonio for the next 6 months for work (Toyota). Unless I take the lathe with me, I won't be able to finish it until I get back.
    Don't really think I'll have room to take it down with me.

I know not everyone (or even anyone?) will like the idea of the flat panel mounted like that, but recall that one of my primary requirements was a small footprint, which means no external monitor. We'll see how it works out when the lathe is complete. I'm only planning on turning wood/acrylic/etc. for pens. My workbench and lathe are now located in our craftroom (2nd bedroom in our 2 bedroom condo), so it would be highly impractical to do any type of metal turning there.

Downloads
    Uploads

beautiful

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work! I plan on doing the same to my 93212 HF 7x10, i've never done any kind of work on a lathe before but im learning, had mine for about 3 weeks now and have completly broke it down and put it back to gether to get familiar with it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Down side is that I'm being sent to San Antonio for the next 6 months for work (Toyota). Unless I take the lathe with me, I won't be able to finish it until I get back.
    Don't really think I'll have room to take it down with me. "

Lots of luck with your new assignment in San Antonio, we all will be waiting till your return and you can finish this project.

Best regards,

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

Very Nice Job...Kudos to you....

Yep real nice...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind comments! Not much more I can do until I get the G540.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know blades isnt around to work on this right now, but I have to say... SICK! so simple and clean, but looks very functional.

I have a 7x12 that I would like to do the same thing to. I love this design and hope you don't mind terribly if I copy it almost completely.

I do have a few questions for you, or anyone else for that matter. Forgive me if they are ridiculous, but I`m a CNC Newb.

On the Horizontal screw, is there any reason you drilled, split and used a collar on it instead of just using a $15 acme-1/4" coupler?

Also, it doesnt look like that acme nut is of the "anti-backlash" variety. Will that be an issue? And, I wonder if the "anchor" for the horizontal screw will be stable enough. The only time you need high speed movement will be for threading applications I suppose, but then it is fairly critical I would think.

JGRO Complete - G540, 380oz Nema23s, 1/2-10 ACME, 30"x14", Craftsman router
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Dustin, thank you for your kind comments! I must say, I am extremely happy myself with the simplicity of the design, it's just how I roll.
    I also did a stupid-simple 2-axis conversion on an X2 mill, there's a thread buried somewhere in the bench mill forum here.

Your questions most certainly are NOT rediculous in the least, they are very valid. I will try and answer all of them.

Regarding the method I used to attach the screw to the motor, I did it mostly for simplicity and cheap cost: the split collar was only about $2.00. It required very minimal machining and was simple. Also, I was not aware of the coupler you described... would love to take a look at it though. I didn't use a traditional coupler because I needed to eliminate any possibility of backlash in the assembly, and I felt a direct clamped assembly would best serve the purpose. But the adapter you mentioned may be just as effective as the method I used.

No, the nut is a simple Delrin ACME nut I got off ebay, which is another important point: my intended use for this will be making custom pens out of various hardwood or acrylic. This type of machining will result in extremely low forces on the leadscrew. If you plan on doing any kind of steel turning on your lathe, you will really want to consider incorporating thrust bearings to stabilize the screw. Again, my intended use does not require this as the motor itself has no measurable end-play in the shaft, even with pressure applied. I suspect the motors I got from Keling have built-in thrust bearings, as I have never seen a zero end-play motor without them. If I were converting an 8x14 or larger lathe, I would most definitely use thrust bearings.

CRAP I wish I could have brought the lathe with me!!!

EDIT: Found the thread for my ghetto-cheap 2 axis mill project.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50277

Last edited by blades; 01-18-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, after months of procrastinating, not to mention lack of urgency since I'm still held captive in San Antonio by Toyota, I *FINALLY* pulled the trigger and ordered my long-awaited G540!

But, I'm also sitting here looking at my new HF 95012 4x5 micro lathe sitting on the coffee table, thinking about replacing the 7x10 with it since the 4x5 will handle anything I'm going to be doing. It's quieter and smaller, which are important considerations given my current location (small 2 bdrm. condo, no garage or basement).

Decisions, decisions.....

Downloads
    Uploads

You already have a sweetly converted 7x10, i would just stick with it maybe post the 4x5 on craigslist or ebay to help cover the cost of the g540

Downloads
    Uploads

I probably should stick with it Teyber.... It's been a labor of love, and I'm extremely happy with it, although I haven't seen it run yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Come on Blades, stick with the 7x!

( I have the same lathe and would like to see how yours "turns" out lol.)

JGRO Complete - G540, 380oz Nema23s, 1/2-10 ACME, 30"x14", Craftsman router
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Downloads
    Uploads

Lol, we'll see. In our condo my workbench is 4', and the 7x10 takes up a pretty good chunk of that. There's no possibility of setting up another table, there's just no room for that.

Downloads
    Uploads

well i imagine you could sell the 7x for a pretty good $

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Teyber12 View Post
    well i imagine you could sell the 7x for a pretty good $
    That was my thought too. I got it cheap when I originally bought it (around $320 with coupon), and only have about an additional $100 into it.

I don't know.... I certainly won't make any decisions until after I get back home and evaluate things....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick question: I see that it seems like everybody that converts one of these drives the cross-slide via a belt. If one is intending for this to be a CNC machine why not directly couple the stepper motor to the cross-slide lead-screw?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Justin, just answered your PM.

The reason I didn't direct-couple the cross slide stepper is personal preference, I just don't care for the stepper hanging off the front of the lathe. I like it better tucked underneath the carriage. Same reason I opted to mount the Z-axis stepper the way I did: I simply didn't want the stepper hanging off the side. I wanted to maintain as small a footprint as possible.

That being said, there's absolutely no reason you can't direct couple it. I'm pretty sure someone sells parts for this type of conversion. Someone from CNCfusion started a thread here about their conversion kit (looks very nice), but apparently they aren't too serious about it because they never bothered to answer my question regarding price.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blades, Your 4x5 project sounds interesting but the motors are almost bigger then the lathe! Put up some pics when it's done.

On your 7x10 I like the way you have the "X" axis set up but will probably drive the "Y" axis direct. I'm a machinist so I can make whatever bracketry and/or couplings I need. I think I'm going to use the motors from the SpectraLight I sent you the link to to get the project off the ground but will keep my eyes peeled for some servos for the future...

Downloads
    Uploads

The motors may look huge, but they are quite size-appropriate for the lathe @ 282 oz. In. I had some experience with smaller (156 oz in) steppers on my X2 mill project, and they were quite underpowered. The more power, the less chance of missed steps in the program. Of course, servos would be better yet.

I will definitely be posting more pics when I'm done. My dispatch assignment to San Antonio ends soon, so I'll be back home to work on it in a couple weeks. Can't wait to get back on it again!

Downloads
    Uploads

I belt drove my 7x cross slide for the following reasons:

-Get it out of the way - I could thus make the enclosure smaller.

-Ease of alignment/tolerance of misalignment - At the time I had no mill, and was not confident of building a mount accurate enough to be within the alignment limits of a coupling. Back then I had a simple mount bracket made of sheet metal.
    http://www.wrathall.com/Interests/CN...ide_drive8.htm

- The motors and driver I had at the time were not that powerful, so I geared them down 2:1.

I took this photo while it was clean the other day. Well, cleanish...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7 x 10 project started-img_6885-jpg  
    Regards,
    Mark

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast