Craftsman 6 X 18 Metal Lathe Part Needed

Thread: Craftsman 6 X 18 Metal Lathe Part Needed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Craftsman 6 X 18 Metal Lathe Part Needed

This past weekent I found a old Craftsman 6"X18" metal lathe (Model 10121200) at a garage sale for $5. My buy of the year.

It was disassembeled in a wooden crate, about three hours later and lots of wire brushing and oiling it was assembeled.

The only problem is that the tail stock piece that is under the bed is broken and half missing. This is the part that pulls up against the bed and holds the tailstock in place.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find this piece.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Craftsman 6 X 18 Metal Lathe Part Needed-rustyparts2-jpg   Craftsman 6 X 18 Metal Lathe Part Needed-assembled3-jpg  
    Last edited by Mr.Chips; 10-11-2004 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Add Photo

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

When you learn not to throw out old junk and keep your basement so darn tidy, you would just find a suitable piece of steel junk. Then an hour of work with a hacksaw, file and drill would greet you with the part you want.

Usually it just looks like this:

.....V-- Drill hole here.
    __----__
    I_______I

Downloads
    Uploads

Well ESjaavik I agree with you.

However I moved to Tucson AZ three months from Austin TX and had to dump a lot of things I had been saving for the past 16 years (to keep peace in the family). You know the things you don’t need until you throw them away. And haven't accumulated any stuff yet.

Thanks for the tip. I do have half of the casting and could figure it out from that. Will probably have to make it out of two or three pieces of metal as I don’t have a shaper to cut it out of one piece.

Hager

Downloads
    Uploads

You will need to go back to the garage sale and buy the milling machine for another $5.00.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mr. Chips,
    Great purchase! I just happen to have the same lathe! Mine is in great working condition, and I have the Manual for the lathe. I will check when I get home as to the exact model that I have but if the parts list or manual would help you out I would be happy to scan it and send you the pdf! I want to say that my lathe which looks exactly like the one you have was manufactured in the 50's and is an Atlas which you can still find parts for. I have kept mine for sentimental reasons, it belonged to my dad and he had it in an old wooden desk, with the drawers lined with foam where all the tooling is kept. I use it, mostly for turning dowels, odds and ends. I have thought of parting with it for the room, and maybe to someone who would actually use it more (I have another one so there is no real reason to keep other than the memories of my old man working on it) than I do. Anyway, I will check on the model number and I would be more than happy to copy the manual for you if you would like!

Regards,
    Glen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mr. Chips,
    Yepper! I have the same model you do! Like I said, I have the origional Owners Manual and if you need some part numbers out of it, just let me know. If you want me to, and have some time, I will be willing to copy if for you. Just let me know.

Good Luck,
    Glen

Downloads
    Uploads

Mr Chips,

Throw a coat of paint on that bad boy. Does it run?

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Downloads
    Uploads

Eric:
    I would go as high as $10 for a good milling machine, and believe my I am looking. And Dreaming, Ha Ha Sometime dreams come true.
    When I worked in Camarillo CA it was common to see a working Bridgeport for under $200 sold as company surplus. But before CNC I didn't need metal working equipment.

Glen:
    If you could do that it would be sincereely appreciated.

Regards,

Hager Hay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mr. Chips,
    I dug the manual out tonight, I will try to get it copied or scanned in the next day or so. As soon as I do we can figure out how to get it too you.
    Regards,
    Glen

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Glen.

Eric:
    Everything is free and moving. Plugged the motor in and the forward/Off/Reverse switch and motor work. I Know, I Know. I'll never do any more If I spin the motors until it is done, but I couldn't wait. Besides I will be out of town until mid Nov, and I had to know.
    One CNCZone Member has contacted me privately (I won’t mention his name as he didn’t post in this thread) and said he has a replacement piece and is sending it to me. Just another example of the caliber of people that hang out here.

Hager Hay

Last edited by shuwal; 03-13-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also recently became the proud owner of an Atlas/Craftsman 6" metal lathe model 109 21270. Does anyone know a source for tool holders. I need a right, left and straight tool holder and 1/4 X 1/4 cutting tools.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, and I thought mine was in rough shape. Good gracious. I think the ways are made from some inferior grade of steel that likes to rust easily. I oiled mine and they still rusted. At least you have all the parts though. I'm missing a chuck, motor, tailstock accessories (center, drill chuck, etc), changegears, and toolpost and the clampnut engage isn't working quite right I don't think.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rust is a real problem with those little sears/atlas jobbies. I fought it with mine for a long time. Finally found that a good application of Oxpho-Blue bluing compound from Brownells put a stop to the rusting. After putting the stuff on, I was able to move the little lathe out into an open carport in soggy Washington state and still have no rust problems. The stuff is great rust prevention, especially if you keep just a bit of good oil on the surfaces.

Tiger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I have a craftsman model 10921270 metal lathe can anyone send me the manual downloaded in a pdf file. To rbarnettfl@aol.com would appreciate it. Thanks, R. Barnett