Can I use brake fluid instead of SAE30 hyraulic oil?

Thread: Can I use brake fluid instead of SAE30 hyraulic oil?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can I use brake fluid instead of SAE30 hyraulic oil?

I have a Sieg KX3 and it recommends being lubed up with SAE30 hydraulic fluid. I went to the hardware store and didn't see anything that said hydraulic fluid and the only sae30 oil was motor oil. I ended up buying SAEJ703 Dot3 brake fluid. Would this work as a substitute? If not, what should I look for when buying hydraulic fluid at a hardware store?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think brake fluid will provide lubrication needed. Most auto parts stores sell it or a farm implement supply like Tractor Supply if you have them in Canada.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am actually in Jakarta Indonesia right now. I tried ace hardware but didn't see anything that said hydraulic fluid. Is there another name it goes by?

Do I need to lube the T bracket etc? I took off all the red wax or what not with WD40

Downloads
    Uploads

don't use brake fluid , try atf

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

3 in 1 oil or any other thin oils....... brake fluid is corrosive and will strip paint in a heart beat

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So auto transmission fluid will work? Any rating or label to look for? Is it safe to run for a few days without it? I just removed the red wax from the T base and the metal behind the slinky thing where the z axis moves up and down.

Do I use the same ATF oil for the one shot lube system?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by trialanderror View Post
    So auto transmission fluid will work? Any rating or label to look for? Is it safe to run for a few days without it? I just removed the red wax from the T base and the metal behind the slinky thing where the z axis moves up and down.

Do I use the same ATF oil for the one shot lube system?

you can use atf , on some gear boxes i've mixed a little gear lube with atf

use way lube for the one shot ,if you use an other oil , don't fill it all the way up so you can drain it easy when you get way lube

use these oils until you can find what they call for

unless it came with oil , i would not run it dry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I personally would not recommend ATF either,ATF is not designed for that application and having seen what it can do in some areas makes me wary of using any Oils in an application they were not specced for.
    For instance I have seen people use ATF in Motorcycle gearboxes on two strokw engines and a common issue that occurs is the ATF seems to get between the bearing and alloy case and cause the bearing to spin and wear out the case.

Only come across this when people have obviously been running ATF in the gearbox and rarely any other time,But the number of times I have seen it with ATF makes me see it as a genuine concern and therefore instill in people to use what the manufacturer or a reputable Oil company specs for the application and not shortcut unless it is a proven well known option with no negative aspects known.

It is bad enough when Lubricants supposedly made for an application are not up to scratch as I have come across for instance some Oils cause Camshaft and follower wear to become visible within a couple of thousand miles in Engines.
    Therefore treat your machines to the right Lubricants and of the best quality with a proven track record or maybe pay the price down the road.

Downloads
    Uploads

No to the brake fluid, no to the ATF! Brake fluid is a hydraulic fluid, not a lubricating oil such as iso 32 (iso 32 is a very standard product, I'm guessing it was a misprint at iso30) and sucks water in like no tomorrow. ATF is too thin and way to many detergents in it. If its for lubricating, and you can't find tellus 32 or dte 24/light, I would find some 20 weight engine break in oil. Has plenty of shear strength and plenty of zddp in it.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use Royal Purple Max Film, I'm able to tighten my gibs up too

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most anywhere in the World you can source motorcycle Fork oil which is corrosion protection Non Foaming high quality Hydraulic Oil,weights do translate into engineering Oil weights as well when you look into it a SAE weights do not go low enough in many cases.
    Motorcycle Suspension Fluids if you consider Shock Dampers as well range from 2.5 weight,4 weight(Late KTM Forks) 5 weight,!0 weight,15 weight,20 weight and 30 weight so the range suits light oil requirements for machine use with properties suited to high stress enviroments of heat and shear with of course lighter grades being required for higher speed machines.

The lighter grade Oils are in direct response to increased heat as a byproduct of increased stresses in operation with a lighter grade oil far less likely to change characteristics due to heat input in operation than an initially heavier grade oil or lubricant,We must remember that Lubricants range from very heavy Greases through to light oils and eventually Air Mist systems in response to machine speeds not just loads encountered.

Downloads
    Uploads

Excello recommended replacing the gear oil in the 2 speed gear box with ATF in their 602 model.
    I have been running it with so far no problems.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

atf is good stuff. it is even used in many non slip rear differentials. If it can stand up to that it can handle most anything you can throw at it..