LM 8x14 or HF 8x12?

Thread: LM 8x14 or HF 8x12?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default LM 8x14 or HF 8x12?

I've been running my Taig CNC mill for over a year now and its time for me to get a lathe next month. I've been reading the forums and I think the 7x12 microlux is going to be too small. I like it because it has the verable speed and built in tach thought. I don't want a huge lathe thats too big for my garage. Plus moving it around etc..

A lot of people say the lathemaster is the best for the 8x12 size lathes. But it does cost more. After all the accessories are bought and everything shipped the Harborfreight is about $150 or more cheaper. So what am i getting with the lathemaster for the extra money?

Converting to CNC would be nice but I don't plan on doing it for a while, and only if i need to start turning real complicated stuff. Right now Im manufacturing RC parts on a daily basis so this lathe has to be acurate even after I tweek it all.

I put about 60 hours of run time on my taig mill every month. I clean and re oil the gibs every 3 days or so. Way oil vactra #2

Sorry for the story, but it it should give you guys a better idea on what I will be using it for and how much I will be using it.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I see lathemaster raised there price, at anyrate you get good support from your purchase(many have used it too), and better QC. After that they are the same machine, if you don't mind dealing with HF and if you have one locally you get free shipping to the store now. Biggest draw back to HF is they don't keep replacment parts and it normally takes several weeks to get them.

chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i ordered one from lathemaster and its a good machine . it came with 4 jaw chuck and the tins, some tools and the best part is when you call for a problem you get an answer or replacment parts no hasle,s .
    i ordered from hf the first time but the lathe came smashed to bits. really it was pretty broken up. lathemaster puts theres onto a palot and it arives in good shape ( mine had a bent door but i just got the rubber malot on it)
    latter on the idler braket broke and one phone call and 5 days later it was at my door step. again no problem. great service. to me service beats price.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by itowbig View Post
    i ordered one from lathemaster and its a good machine . it came with 4 jaw chuck and the tins, some tools and the best part is when you call for a problem you get an answer or replacment parts no hasle,s .
    i ordered from hf the first time but the lathe came smashed to bits. really it was pretty broken up. lathemaster puts theres onto a palot and it arives in good shape ( mine had a bent door but i just got the rubber malot on it)
    latter on the idler braket broke and one phone call and 5 days later it was at my door step. again no problem. great service. to me service beats price.

when u ordered yours from HF, what did it arrive in? when i ordered mine in wsa in a crate on a pallet, i dont understand how yours was so broken up, what was broken?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I see lathemaster raised there price, at anyrate you get good support from your purchase(many have used it too), and better QC.
    Yeah, I'd rather buy something that I know will work right and I don't have to take it apart right out of the box. The crazy thing is the lathemaster 8x14 is almost the same price as the 9x19 Grizzly has onsale for $775. I just don't think i really need a 300 pound lathe in my garage. lol 200 seems a lot easier to deal with if i have to move it etc...

I emailed Lathemaster and am waiting for some information on what all they do to the lathe before its shipped out, compared to the HF version.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seems to me that other then better packaging and support they tend to pick the cream of the crop. I have been watching for interest for about 2 years now, I have not heard of a disappointed customer from LM, unlike HF. Untill I got my 9x20 griz, which I only jumped on becuase the price was right I was in the process of ordering a similar or one of those lathes money depenadant.

chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah the 9x19 from Grizzly is onsale right now and a good deal. I might be going that route just becasue i can get it for less then the 8x14 with shipping.

One of the guys at Lathemaster emailed me back so i got a little more information. He also said that the $918 price was just to get to the local dock and it would cost more to get it to my house or work.

Still haven't made up my mind yet. I will eventually. Looking to get one in 1 or 2 months. How heavy is the 9x19? I thought the 8x14 was 190 lb to 230 lb or something.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skmetal7 View Post
    when u ordered yours from HF, what did it arrive in? when i ordered mine in wsa in a crate on a pallet, i dont understand how yours was so broken up, what was broken?
    ya it came in a crate alright 1/8 inch plywood box and no pallet.
    im pretty sure a forklift driver dropped it cause the thing was broken almost in two (the ways were cracked down though the casting motor was beat up and the carriage was cracked too) it was really bad last time i seen something like that a train hit a pickup truck and cracked the engine block in half.
    was not even good for parts. it took a month to arrive.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got the HF 8X12, came in a thin wooden create. Was on sale for $549+sales tax, came to $561. Tooling has cost me about 150 for what i got, steady rest, 30p ass. kit, 15, 5/16ths HSS bits, MT2 drill chuck, sleeve for MT2 to MT3 on the tailstock. All together that makes $811 i have invested. The good news is i allready have work lined up, i'am hoping it pays it's self off within a year.

Make sure you clean my wrench before you put it back into my toolbox.