Need Help! Grizzly G0765 7x14 RPM surging?

Thread: Grizzly G0765 7x14 RPM surging?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grizzly G0765 7x14 RPM surging?

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum (and home machining in general) and I have encountered a small problem with my 7x14 Grizzly mini lathe. I purchased the lathe about 3 months ago and it's been running great. Recently however it has been doing this weird thing where when you first turn it on (twist the speed knob) the RPM will jump pretty high, then settle back down to where it should be. You can continue to do this by increasing the RPM's quickly. the strange part is the RPM's will also INCREASE slightly (about 40RPM) but only while boring. I haven't noticed any issues while making regular facing cuts. I contacted Grizzly customer service and spoke with a very helpful gentleman who said he had never heard of that issue before haha. Nonetheless he said I should start by checking my potentiometer. I'll have to grab my multimeter from work tomorrow but before I do I'm curious if the experts on here have ever experienced this issue before. I would love to get a second opinion and I thank you in advance for any help you can offer!!