Opinions... Benchtop Lathes..

Thread: Opinions... Benchtop Lathes..

Default Opinions... Benchtop Lathes..

If this isn't the right place Mods feel free to move it, just seemed like this category is where all the small lathe talk is!

After about a year of watching Craigslist and auctions i've given up on finding anything affordable or decent condition used here, convinced it doesn't exist. So i have been considering my options for a small to medium size benchtop lathe.

Looking on Grizzy i see the G0768 and the G4000, both of them would suite me fine size wise, all i generally do is aluminum and nothing huge, but i dismissed the 7x mini lathes because if i am going to spend $600 on one then another couple hundred upgrading it from plastic gears, really who puts plastic in a machine like that, then after upgrades i still have a small machine for nearly the cost of a larger one.

The quandry i am having here is that right now the G0768 and the G4000 are offered for the exact same price, $1025 plus shipping.

The G4000 is a lot heavier and getting it moved in is a concern, the machine weight is 250lbs, the G0768 is 144lbs, so more then 100lbs lighter. I have a bench that can easily support a ton so no problems there but moving a 144lb lathe is a lot easier then 250lb. But, the G4000 has a quick change gearbox, reminds me of the old Atlas lathe, i believe thats what it was anyway, that my grandfather owned and i enjoyed many hours listening to the flat belt click while turning some little doodad for the farm.

So thats where i am looking for opinions, would the G4000 be that much of a benefit over something like the G0768 with an infinite speed control? I would think the speed control would be handier, but then i realized they are both belt driven spindles as well, not that its a bad thing but they are just on level grounds there. So the G4000 would probably give better/easier control switching feed speeds correct?

I just can't decide between the two of them. They are right at my budget, obviously i need to considering tooling and accessories, but thats why i set my budget where it is to leave a couple hundred hanging for everything else i want, QCTP etc.

The thing pushing me right now on the G4000 is that the G0768 is out of stock, contacted Grizzly they said mid November before stock will arrive. I don't want to have to deal with a truck freight delivery in the snow, right now i probably have a good couple weeks before the weather goes to pot and its going to be even more difficult dealing with all this.

Opinions on these two? Or a cheaper brand that has comparable features and the same size? I'm done looking/waiting for used, so while i appreciate those types of comments it ain't happening, a year of watching craigslist on my phone daily and eBay for everything within a couple hundred miles has left a bad taste in my mouth that i want to wash away and just move on!!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by kb0nly; 10-11-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Opinions... Benchtop Lathes..

I have had a G4000 for many years. I think I bought it about the year 2000. It has served me well and is a pretty good little machine. The only thing I don't like about it is the little bitty drive belt that powers the machine. I have never had a problem with it when running pieces under about 2 inches, but when running larger than that you really have to watch how much you are cutting. The motor has plenty of power, but the little belt will slip if you try to hog too much. Having said that, I have turned pieces out of 2024-T3 aluminum about 5" in diameter, and it can be done if you don't hog too much.

Prior to the G4000, I owned a 7x12 mini lathe with the DC variable speed motor. The one I had was not a grizzly mini lathe, but it had a 600 watt DC variable speed motor, which is what the G0768 has. Based on my experience with my 7x12 mini lathe, I would pass on any lathe with that size motor DC motor. The G4000 has a single speed motor and it works great with only that belt I mentioned as a problem. My 7x12 had numerous problems, including an extreme lack of cutting power, and a motor control that failed numerous times. The cutting power issue if you think about it is totally due to the DC motor. On the G4000 when you reduce the speed, you actually increase the torque because you are gearing a constant speed motor down. With the 7x14 variable speed, the motor is pretty much constant torque but slowing it down doesn't get you any increase in torque. I had issues trying to turn hard materials, like 4140 steel, or really any steel in the 7x12. I don't see that this would be any different with the G0768 since it uses a similar motor setup.

If I were choosing between those two today, I would choose the G4000 over the G0768.

Very good info thanks! I was hoping someone with the G4000 would chime in. I was leaning towards it as well but the G0768 didn't look that bad, but i wasn't thinking about the speed vs torque issue.

I don't want failing motor controls or gears or any such crud to worry about.

So the G4000 suffers from belt slip? Interesting, its hard to tell in the pictures i have been looking at, is it a V type belt? Maybe theres a timing belt type upgrade out there for it? Or don't you think that would help with the slippage any? I doubt i would be trying to make Abom79 style cuts anyway.. HA HA... So no problems there. But good to know.

Is there any plastic gears in the G4000?? It appears to be metal, but pictures can be deceiving!! I know that all to well from buying chinese made gear over the years.

Sixteen years and thats the only issues you can mention, that seems like a pretty good recommendation to me. Most of my work is just basic turning on aluminum, every so often maybe a brass bushing or two, but nothing that extensive, and probably not very much steel if any.

Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to mention something else.

The G4000 has a threaded spindle nose, where the G0768 has an intrinsic backplate that is part of the actual spindle. The intrinsic backplate is how the 7x12 lathes are and it was a real pain in the rear to change the chucks. I much prefer the threaded spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

All gears in the G4000 are metal. The belt slipping I helped immensely by roughing up the pulley grooves. It uses a V-belt that is about 1/4" wide for one part of the mix.

That said the G4000 is worlds better than the variable speed in my experience.

Thats a big bonus on the threaded spindle, i was looking at that on the mini lathes in some youtube videos and that would drive me nuts!!

And ok on the belt. Well i think i made my decision, i will be looking at ordering a G4000!

Does Grizzly ever have coupon codes i see it is an option in the cart and checkout? I just signed up for an account on their page so haven't got any promo emails or such from them yet. It's going to be the end of the week before i can order so if something were to pop up to knock a little off that would be nice, but overall i think its a very well priced machine for its capabilities.

Thanks! I knew someone here would be able to help with the decision, i think you sealed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

For that price point, I would go to the G0602, its not much more and is a lot more machine for the money. Moving something in should not be a high priority unless you live on the 3rd floor of an apartment. It's a once and done thing. Besides, I would recommend with any of these machines that you year them down and clean them thoroughly and go through and reassembly and lubricate and get to know the machine. It will give you a chance to adjust everything really well rather then use it for weeks or months with horrible assembly line adjustments. While it's apart you can move it alot easier.

You can always rent a cherry picker from an autoparts store usually pretty inexpensively also. The G0602 had alot more support also from various members and if you ever decide to go CNC, bolt on kits are available making the conversion quick and easy.

I think that is the best bang for the buck machine in its class. The next step up from there would be a 12x24 from Bolton, they are about $1700ish I think last I checked a year or so ago. That lathe becomes a more serious piece of machinery

Chris

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

I considered the G0602, the problem i have there is its 47.5" in length, the G4000 is 37", the weight i am not concerned about the bench i have will easily take two of them weight wise, the G0602 is about 80lbs heavier then the G4000.

But...

The length is a major problem, i can squeak in about 40" tops, 38" would be better. I have to come through a door and make a turn, and i would rather not spend an entire day taking it apart and putting it back together just to make a turn. With the G4000 i could get it on my engine hoist at the door and walk it in then turn it. The G0602 would just be too difficult to get into the space.

Its only a $250 difference between them, but its a LOT of labor difference between them.

The belt drive looks very similar on them, about the only difference is the quick change gear box goes from the old school design to a couple rotary knobs. Sure its a bit bigger but considering most of the stuff i do is under a foot long i'm not too concerned. The G0602 does have a larger spindle bore, 1" versus the .78" of the G4000, but i only deal with stock up to about 1/2" most of the time, thats actually about the largest i ever need to turn.

I'm going to look at a G4000 this weekend, figures after a whole year of looking for used lathes now that i am about to buy a new one a used G4000 shows up within about 50 miles of me and comes with a lot of extra's, so i will have a look before i make any final decision!

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
    I considered the G0602, the problem i have there is its 47.5" in length, the G4000 is 37", the weight i am not concerned about the bench i have will easily take two of them weight wise, the G0602 is about 80lbs heavier then the G4000.

But...

The length is a major problem, i can squeak in about 40" tops, 38" would be better. I have to come through a door and make a turn, and i would rather not spend an entire day taking it apart and putting it back together just to make a turn. With the G4000 i could get it on my engine hoist at the door and walk it in then turn it. The G0602 would just be too difficult to get into the space.

Its only a $250 difference between them, but its a LOT of labor difference between them.

The belt drive looks very similar on them, about the only difference is the quick change gear box goes from the old school design to a couple rotary knobs. Sure its a bit bigger but considering most of the stuff i do is under a foot long i'm not too concerned. The G0602 does have a larger spindle bore, 1" versus the .78" of the G4000, but i only deal with stock up to about 1/2" most of the time, thats actually about the largest i ever need to turn.

I'm going to look at a G4000 this weekend, figures after a whole year of looking for used lathes now that i am about to buy a new one a used G4000 shows up within about 50 miles of me and comes with a lot of extra's, so i will have a look before i make any final decision!

Thanks!
    What about moving it vertically note it will make almost any turn.. could still bring in with the cherry picker, then tilt the direction you want.

If 1/2" is the largest thing you do and you'll never need anything for making bigger parts I could see the appeal of the smaller machine. The G0602 probably has a little wider bed for stability and of course has more mass so faster cuts would be achievable likely. The spindle has bigger bearings and is larger in diameter at the shaft so more rigid well. I just hate to see anyone but smaller then they could and regret it design the road. Mainly because I walked that path early on and the feeling of regret after the fact is no fun..lol

But ultimately it's your decision to determine the fit of the machine for your current purposes. Just don't forget you serve your interests better if you try to broaden your future scope of possibilities to make sure you won't quickly outgrow the machine. Many times I have found that a larger capacity tool has inspired new projects I had not considered previously. We often times limit ourselves with blinders based on criteria that seems initially prudent but in retrospect is evident to have been self imposed and less critical than was rationalized. I always try and remember that when preparing to add a new piece of equipment.

Chris

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I've had a 4000 (with a different name) since about 2003 with three house moves in that time.

It's been a great little lathe for the bucks. Holds to within a couple of thou if you are careful with the feed pressure and backlash (there's plenty of flex in them, particularly the compound slide and tool holder). And just keeps going.

Things to consider if I was going to buy again:
    1. You can never have a big enough lathe
    2. Allow funds if you can for a decent quick change tool holder - more for being able to set tool heights accurately without stuffing around with shims than the quick change side of it.
    3. If you're going to be doing lots of thread cutting of different sizes, well, the gear changing is a PITA.
    4. Similarly, changing pulleys to change spindle speed is a pain. Often on a quick job it's the only thing that gets my hands dirty and I always wish I'd bought a VFD model.

So, if you can afford a unit with knob selectable thread pitches instead of the gear changes, and a VFD instead of pick-a-pulley belt drive, you'll miss those annoyances.

Moving the thing was nothing a couple of strong blokes (or four strong blokes with a couple of poles to thread under the ways) couldn't handle. Getting through a doorway + turn is easy - get it through the door and lay it on the left end, climb past it through the second exit and tip it over to get it out again.