Home Made internal spindle stop!

Thread: Home Made internal spindle stop!

Cool Home Made internal spindle stop!

I have been doing a lot of repetitive tasks on my new lathe, so I decided its time to make a nice solid stop to go inside the spindle bore!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made internal spindle stop!-lathespindlestop-jpg  
    Last edited by widgitmaster; 06-25-2006 at 01:59 AM.

Cool

So I grabbed a piece of 2" diameter 1018 steel and turned it to fit the inside diameter of my spindle, around 1" long. Bored a .750 through hole for the stop-shaft.
    Then I faced the other end to make a flange 1/2" thick.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made internal spindle stop!-000_0618-jpg   Home Made internal spindle stop!-000_0619-jpg  
    Last edited by widgitmaster; 06-25-2006 at 02:00 AM.

Cool

Next I drilled a cross hole around 3/8" diameter through both walls of the small diameter.

Then I put a pin through it and leveled it in my vise, so that I could run a metal slitting saw through the flange and into the cross hole.

This will allow the hub to flex, and not break from repetitive use!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made internal spindle stop!-000_0620-jpg   Home Made internal spindle stop!-000_0621-jpg  

Cool

This whole project was not without incident, as you can see from the images it cost me a 7/8 5C collet!

The arbor grabbed and spun in the collet, and cracked the side out of it!

The saw is 6" diameter, 1/8" thick running at 70-RPM

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made internal spindle stop!-000_0622-jpg  

Cool

All though the collet cracked, I did manage to finish the cut in the hub!

Then I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole through one wall of the large diameter, this is for a set screw to clamp on the stop-shaft, and expand the hub inside the spindle bore!

This way I kill two birds with one stone!

I put it in my spindle, and ran it at 2000 RPM, it did not cause any vibrations which is good news!

Now I can make small ACME leadscrews all the same length with out having to do extra setups for each one!

My 14x40 lathe has a 1.6" ID in the spindle, so I used a 3/4" shaft to make it solid! Then I turned one end of the shaft and pressed a block on to it, and turned it to slip freely inside the spindle bore. This gives me one complete flat surface to stop my parts from, wether I use a 3 jaw, 4-jaw chuck or a 5C collet chuck!

Hope this gives you some ideas of how easy it is to make a spindle stop!
    Eric

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made internal spindle stop!-000_0623-jpg   Home Made internal spindle stop!-000_0624-jpg   Home Made internal spindle stop!-000_0625-jpg  

Cool

Now its off to eBay, to bid on a replacement 7/8 R8 collet!

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

looks good, I ended up just turning a peice with a light press into the end of my spindle and use a peice of threaded rod with a jam nut, worked pretty good for the parts I was making, I made about 60 standoff posts that all came out within .001 or less.

yours looks a bit better than mine, definately better concept

Jon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Widgit you are the man. You are always coming up with somethin' kool that we can all use and enjoy, my hat goes off to you , ALL BOW to the Widgit Master !!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Home Made internal spindle stop!

I made these for our small CNC lathes.
    Home Made internal spindle stop!-20100724-075755-jpg
    The drawbar (tube) doesn't allow for a spindle stop that's fixed in the spindle (moves back and forth so there's no accuracy). These are attached to the chuck.
    For the bigger machines, I made an adapter plate to be used with these small stops
    Home Made internal spindle stop!-dsc_2337-jpg

We are about to design new ones for the larger lathes now. Same idea but different design.