So, just how powerful are the 10x22 lathes?

Thread: So, just how powerful are the 10x22 lathes?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default So, just how powerful are the 10x22 lathes?

Due to having to throw more money than planned at the house, I'm re-examining the garage production facility's equipment requirements... A 12x36 "gunsmith grizzly" lathe is $3,400ish to my garage, but the 10x22 is about $1,200 and I can move it in the van... Or maybe, just maybe, I can find an old South Bend or something that might not be completely worn out...

Argh.

Anywho, how big a hole can one drill in steel with the machines (such as the Grizzly 10x22)? Several steps will work if I need to...

How large diameter have you guys turned with 'em? Parts are going to be primarily made of 1018, 1045, stressproof, etc...

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

bogiestl,

Everone has a different need and opinion for what is a good size lathe. Here are my thoughts on the matter.
    If your not in a hurry, keep your eyes posted on CL for a used 12x36. I own both a grizzly 10x22 and a MSC 12x36. The big difference is the increased mass and rigidity of the 12x36, not so much the HP. Its a much more solid platform for the money, you can get a better finish, less vibration etc. Can you get a good finish on a 10x22? Of course!

To answer your specific questions, the 10x22 can bore a very big hole, its just going to take a while, you will need to take smaller cuts per pass. Not something you want to do if you are trying to make money. Your going to be more limited by your fixturing and tooling. My Grizzly G0602 has a lot of power for its size with the stock motor. Some people will debate me on this probably, but I think if you are seriously trying to make money I wouldnt go any smaller than a 12x36. There is one shop close to me that has been running 4 of the Jet 12x37's in a production environment cutting plastic and aluminum for 20 years. They look pretty sad now but they have made a ton of money over the years. I have installed a VFD and 3 phase motor on the 12x36 when my stock motor died. Its really nice to be able to over drive that motor if I need some high RPM during a finish pass.

I would not hesitate to buy a new 12x36 for what they cost. Just remember one thing, any lathe sitting in the garage is always better than no lathe at all.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, just how powerful are the 10x22 lathes?-img_0411-jpg   So, just how powerful are the 10x22 lathes?-img_0412-jpg   So, just how powerful are the 10x22 lathes?-img_0379-jpg