Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BillBert View Post
    So I am thinking that the voltages that you reference should be halved. As for the spindle, I would think it runs on DC especially because it is clearly variable from about 100 to 3000 rpm.
    Bob
    The primary voltage could be 120vac but the secondaries and DC supplies would be the same.
    I mentioned the spindle running on 220vac SCR bridge, which is a phase angle controlled DC source, I am not sure what the field voltage is, it may be traceable from the wire numbers.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The primary voltage could be 120vac but the secondaries and DC supplies would be the same.
    I mentioned the spindle running on 220vac SCR bridge, which is a phase angle controlled DC source, I am not sure what the field voltage is, it may be traceable from the wire numbers.
    Al.

Al,

I guess I don't understand what is going on, and perhaps this may not be the thread to learn on, but how does DC have any phase angle? I am not understanding.

Thanks
    Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

If you understand a normal 1ph bridge with no smoothing capacitor, the output is DC with 100% ripple 120Hz, If 2 of the diodes in the bridge are SCR's, say the two 'facing' the +output.
    And the firing of the SCR's are delayed until somewhere in the duration of the positive 1/2 cycle for each, this will provide a varying DC energy the degree of which will depend on how far along in the pulse duration the SCR is fired.
    Hope this makes it a bit clearer?
    The advantage is this can be used on 1ph or 3ph to control a DC motor without the need for a power supply, per-se, other than the bridge itself.
    Al.

Last edited by Al_The_Man; 12-15-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,

I recently bought a cortini h105 lathe and mill but i don't have the manual for either machine. Would you be able to send a copy of the manual via email ? I tried to get some help from Italy but as you can imagine it wasn't successful. Please help as this is very important to me.

Thank You in advance,
    Simon

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cortini H105 manuals

I have the manuals Bill sent me (thanks, Bill!) Hopefully they will be able to be attached OK.

I have an H105 as well, from the same era. Mine was from a highschool in Toronto, but some time before I got it, it was retrofitted to PC control by a company called Torcam. They have since gone out of business (or were taken over, not sure). The retrofit used the same idea as we currently do, which is the standard parallel port breakout board/stepper-drivers bit. However, I don't have any info on the current driving the steppers, since they don't say anything on them, and the motors are not labelled with that info either. I replaced the old BB with a C10, and the lathe works OK with Mach3. I will soon get the inductive limit sensors going (if they still are OK), and thus will be able to use the turret as well as the axes.

Mine still has the original DC motor controller (manual says it's a piloted diode bridge speed control), and is 110V powered. I want to replace the motor controller with something more modern, as the speed regulation is not so great, and hasn't much damping, nor braking. I have just bought a C6 board to emulate the speed-setting pot, so once that arrives, I can have control of the spindle speed, even with the old drive.

Does anyone have recommendations for a (not too expensive) DC motor speed controller for a wound rotor DC motor (1HP, 110V line powered)?

Doug.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP-latheh105-pdf  

Default Cortini up and running, for the curious

i don't know if anyone is watching this but i bought this Cortini H105 a few months ago. after many hours of head scratchin' it's running like a top.
    home switches with custom macros, 6 pos tool changer..macros, spindle on and off, custom made encoder wheel for spindle RPM feedback and threading, tool touch setting sequence..macro
    it if were pajamas, it would be on a cat :-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP-oall1-jpg   Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP-end1-jpg   Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP-encwhl-jpg   Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP-toolpost1-jpg  

Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP-enccut1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by steve@creative View Post
    i don't know if anyone is watching this...
    I watch anything about CNC lathes as I need the education.

Great looking lathe! What control software are you using? From the spindle encoder I'm guessing LinucCNC? What CAM?

it runs on MACH3. the 100 count encoder is for the motor comtrol to keep count.
    you can see a single 'slot' on the edge of the wheel, one side of the slot is near the top and one side of the slot is in between the 2 encoders.
    the single slot is for MACH3 to keep count. (full RPM at 3600)
    i have 4 different CAD prgms i use to get g code as well as the MACH wizards.
    i'll be uploading some movies to youtube, i'm selling this and youtube is a great venue.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh OK, thanks Steve. Mach3 for me too plus TurboCAD & Dolphin for CAD/CAM.

The retro process would make a great thread...got any pics of the process?

Milton

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i don't know if anyone is watching this but i bought this Cortini H105 a few months ago. after many hours of head scratchin' it's running like a top.
    home switches with custom macros, 6 pos tool changer..macros, spindle on and off, custom made encoder wheel for spindle RPM feedback and threading, tool touch setting sequence..macro
    it if were pajamas, it would be on a cat :-)
    i want this and i want it now. care to tell us how little you paid for it so i can feel extra bad

it's not the purchase price that matters now, it's the sale price, it is running as new if not better with current technology.
    8 X 20 CNC CORTINI LATHE with 6 POSITION TOOL CHANGER - Markham / York Region Power Tools For Sale - Kijiji Markham / York Region Canada.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

it's not the purchase price that matters now, it's the sale price, it is running as new if not better with current technology.
    8 X 20 CNC CORTINI LATHE with 6 POSITION TOOL CHANGER - Markham / York Region Power Tools For Sale - Kijiji Markham / York Region Canada.
    oooh thats a nice price..unfortunately it would probably cost twice that much to get it to where i am in california and i cant even imagine the customs mayhem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Old Italian Made CNC Lathe HELP

Bill,

I recently purchased a Cortini H105 110V lathe that I'm trying to get up and running. Do you still have your lathe? What is the amperage rating of the cylindrical fuse located on the side of the machine? My lathe is missing the fuse.

Regards,

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by steg View Post
    Bill,

I recently purchased a Cortini H105 110V lathe that I'm trying to get up and running. Do you still have your lathe? What is the amperage rating of the cylindrical fuse located on the side of the machine? My lathe is missing the fuse.

Regards,
    I sold my lathe a few years back, and although I now regret selling it, the purchaser whom was a seasoned CNC guru who built custom CNC lathes for a living did tell me that he was having a heck of a time getting it updated and running. Not sure why, as he laid out a lot of technical jargon that I didn't 100% follow. I guess the bottom line is he eventually got it running, and I obviously wouldn't have had a chance of doing. To answer your question, I don't even remember there being a fuse there, sorry!

Downloads
    Uploads

Steg, can you post a picture of the location on the lathe? There seems to have been a number of variations of the H105. I will have a look at mine to check if I can see what you mean. Also, earlier in this thread we have posted the .pdf'd manual (Thanks, BillBert!), which may have the info you are looking for.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

I'm from France and i'm very to order the same lathe as you have in the past !

Many thanks for sharing your information.

But for now i have one question without founded answear over the web.

This is really important because i don't have suficient information about stepper used for turret, i have found that is zebotronic M56 but don't know max current, i see on your pictures some engraved value on this stepper but can't read, have you a way for found better pictures or have this information ?

Another thanks for this sharing !

Best regards, Aurélien

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123