Why no 7x16 love?

View Poll Results: LMS 7x12 or Microlux 7x16?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • LMS 7x12

3 30.00%
  • Microlux 7x16

7 70.00%

Thread: Why no 7x16 love?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Why no 7x16 love?

Sup y'all.

First post here, signed up a few days ago, but been reading for months. Lots of great info here.

So, thinking about getting a 7x mini lathe and decided that the brushless motor is a feature I really like.
    That narrows the choices to LMS 7x12 and Microlux 7x16.

I can't imagine why I shouldn't get the 7x16. Shipping included, the 7x16 is ~$40 cheaper.
    The only drawback I see is that there are no "kits" for CNC conversion for the x16. CNC is down the road for me, like a year or more. I don't see why I couldn't come up with a way to machine what I need for the conversion.

Then I look around the web and haven't seen any thread on the 7x16.
    Is it just because they are new to market?
    Why no 7x16 love?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I guess I'll take a shot at this being as it doesn't look like anyone else is going too.

I think there are 2 reasons the first is as you pointed out the 7X16 is relatively new.

More so though in my opinion it's because most people who get a 7X are like I was and don't know much of anything about them so they're going to try and go cheap. Not knowing anything about athese machines I bought a 7X10 thinking it was plenty big for the things I was working on. I didn't understand that by the time you put a 3 jaw chuck on it and stick a 3/8" bit in the tailstock I'd only have an inch of working area. The Micromark version has always kind of been a cadillac version of the mini lathe. If I had known what I was getting into i'd have bought the MicroMark version of the time. My 7x10 is now a 7X14 with DRO's and a lot more.

As far as the LMS vs Micromark I'd definately go for the longer one. I'm more than happy with a 7x14 but wouldn't want anything shorter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Double post

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the reason is that at this point you're getting into the 8x12 price point (really 8x14) and that is in almost every way a vastly superior machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Microlux 7x16

I'm a new user, first post. I too am looking hard at the Microlux 7x16. From what I've read online it seems to stand out from all the other 7x mini lathes.

With the new brushless DC motor reviewers say that it has lots or torque at low speed. Also with the new motor no more need to Hi/Low speed levers, ot gear reductions so it is much quieter than the older mini lathes.

The real selling point was the 16 inch bed. It didn't take me long to realize that even a 14 inch model wouldn't give you a whole lot a room to work a drill by the time the tailstock chuck and bit was in place.

I haven't ordered mine yet. I'm waiting to see if a deal on a very old used Atlas/Craftsman 9x36 comes through or not. That is more lathe than I need, larger than what I have room for, and probably needs more work on it than I'm willing to give it.

I'd love to hear from any users who have a Microlux 7x16 for any feedback on it good or bad.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love my 7x16 - Can't compare to any other benchtop lathe - took quite a bit of work - a carriage lock, new handles, QCTP, A.R. Warner tools.... etc... but now she runs like a dream!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I understand that all of these mini lathes require a bit of modification to make them user friendly. A carriage lock and handle seem to be the first projects to tackle.

I ordered mine and it should arrive this Wednesday. I'm sure it will not be like the old Southbend lathe that I used for years, but I hope it will be usable for me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Why no 7x16 love?

Maybe an Atlas 6x18 in good shape would be better for you? I have one and is quite handy for small stuff. It doesn't have the advantage of the electronic speed control (could be added, though) but it's got a geared head and it goes to really sweet low speeds (something like 50 rpm) with good torque, which is very convenient for tasks such as threading, and high to something like 3000 rpm. It also has 18" between centers. All in all, the Atlas is a real lathe, just miniature in size.

Truth is, unless you're a watchmaker or something similar, you'll outgrow any of those machines quickly. I still have my old Atlas 6x18 for small tasks (mine is a bit worn, but can't complain because I got it for like $100), but the lathe I use the most at the moment is a 10x27 Chinese BVB25L. I bought it new, so I can't complain about it being worn, bur it's definitely lacking in refinement compared to the Atlas. The ways, for example, are shared between the carriage and the tailstock (only one vee), so the later can't really get much close to the chuck without the carriage getting in the way. I looked briefly in Google and the 7x family seems to have the same issue. In the end, they often take shortcuts that's you'll get to know only once you really get your hands dirty.

And you know why, right? It's not because the Chinese can't make good stuff; it's that people won't buy Chinese stuff unless it's dirt cheap and they have to cut costs somehow.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Why no 7x16 love?

Maybe the OP, who hasn't posted in 4 years will be along to check his 5 year old thread. Truth is... Probably not.