Grizzly (G8688) 7x12 Head Stock Taper Bearings

Thread: Grizzly (G8688) 7x12 Head Stock Taper Bearings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grizzly (G8688) 7x12 Head Stock Taper Bearings

Hello,

Still new to lathes and while attempting to part material I broke the plastic gear on the spindle.

While I have the head stock apart I was going to put the tapered bearings in opposed to ball bearing currently installed in the machine.

I found a tutorial here:

Untitled Page

and new bearings from LMS:

LittleMachineShop.com - Bearing, Spindle Tapered Roller

My question is about the rear spacer that will have to be made or shortened.

Having little experience and now a broken lathe, what is the best way to go about dealing with this part of the upgrade? I am guessing they don't have a spacer that is the appropriate size available.

Thanks guys!

Danny

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Danny,
    I have fitted taper roller bearings to my minilathe. I avoided most of the problems with the internal spacers by making up two washers 1.5 mm thick so that the bearings are effectively the same thickness as the standard bearings.
    Once the bearings have been fitted on the spindle you can try the existing rear spacer for fit by assembling the spindle including spacer and bull gear and then tightening up the spindle nut. Make the nut really tight to ensure that the bearings are well seated.
    The spacer will be too long so decide how much to remove in order to get the bull gear lined up with the tumbler reverse gears. Now undo the spindle nut, remove the bull gear and spacer. Make a tempory spacer from a piece of 1.1/4 polyprop waste pipe. This is available from plumbing stores. The tempory spacer can be just sawn to approximately the right length. Now reassemble the spindle with the tempory spacer, bull gear etc. Now you can use the lathe to trim the old spacer to the right length. The plastic machines easily.
    Finally dismantle the spindle again put on the trimmed old spacer and reassemble.
    The tempory spacer works because there is little strain on the lathe whilst machining the old spacer.
    There is a complete description of this modification on my website:

Headstock upgrade - mikesworkshop

The taper roller bearing are certainly a worthwhile mod.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Mike,

Thanks for replying.

The PVC is a great idea!

Would there be an effective way to measure overall completed length including bearing from raceway to raceway? I can measure the gap between the existing rear spacer and longer rear spacer that sits on the outside of the spindle.

After trying to learn a bit more about taper bearings my understanding is you don’t really want to handle them too much or damage the cage so I want to avoid pulling the bearing on and off unnecessarily.

Maybe that’s impossible?

Also what did you torque the bearing down to? (Preload)

Hey that’s a great website, I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I want to build a carriage lock.

Thanks again

Danny

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grizzly (G8688) 7x12 Head Stock Taper Bearings-moto_0036-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Danny,
    I cannot think of an easy way to measure the raceway to raceway distance with any accuracy.
    I think if you take sensible precautions to prevent damage that the bearings can be pulled on and off. They are not that delicate. They should not be too tight a fit on the shaft. The rear bearing in particular should be able to slide on the shaft in oder to be able to preload the bearings once in place.
    With regard to the preload, initially I torqued down hard and then backed off 1/6 of a turn. After a couple of days use to allow the bearings to bed down I slowly increased the torque a little at a time (may be 1/20 turn) until the headstock became slightly warm after a long spell of running.
    Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The only spacer that required cutting was the rear spacer that is outside of the housing and before the locknuts.

I made it more complicated that it was.

Thanks again!

Danny

Downloads
    Uploads

I did this upgrade about a year ago using a kit from a seller on ebay named lbakeland, it came with bearings and a shortened spacer. It was messy and a lot of work, and in the end I am not convinced it made that much difference.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sansbury

I had a totally different experience with results so far.

I don’t get the same vibration noise when turning.

When I was parting it broke the plastic spindle gear. After the upgrade I had to tighten up gib (sp?) screws because instead of stopping the lathe on over drawing apms it ran right over the tool and forced the carriage to tilt without stopping.

I would agree that it was confusing; most directions I have read were more like general guide lines which is what brought me to CNCZone in the first place.

I would add that the Micro Mark kit plus the metal gear spindle kit from LMS saved time as opposed to finding material lying around to make draw bars, inserts for pushing and pipe that would fit over the spindle and not crush the cage on the bearing or apply pressure on the rear side of the spindle.

Next mod is a carriage and tail stock lock.

Danny

Downloads
    Uploads

There's a guide here, which is what I used to do this. The one thing you'll see going through this is that they used some tools (notably a bearing puller) that most average home shops don't have.

C3 Mini Lathe Bearing Change

I will say there was some improvement in parting off, but it was an incremental change. I haven't tried turning anything hard to see if there's an improvement there--before I changed the bearings I had tried, and given up, machining some ballscrews. What disappointed me was that my surface finish didn't improve any, and no matter how much I played with the preload, my spindle starts to heat up much faster than it used to over 1000RPM, which I use quite often--so much that I'm now cautious about running it long at top speeds.

It took me most of a weekend of messy work, and I kind of knew what I was doing and had some tools to do it, and the end result was only, IMHO, slightly better. Dollar-wise, it wasn't expensive. But, in hindsight I'd say that unless you were really unhappy with the lathe as-is, I wouldn't dive into this upgrade. I was basically happy before, so not sure how much I got out of the exercise.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drmico60 View Post
    Hi Danny,
    I have fitted taper roller bearings to my minilathe. I avoided most of the problems with the internal spacers by making up two washers 1.5 mm thick so that the bearings are effectively the same thickness as the standard bearings.
    Hi,
    I'm prepairing to repalace bearings on sieg (actualy rotwerk) 7X12 lathe.When I look at original and tappered bearings measurements on: Mini lathe headstock mods
    It appears that difference in lengt is 1.25mm not 1.5mm. So, why making spacers 1.5mm thick?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mbole,
    I have just spent 2 hours stripping my spindle to check the washer sizes and they are in fact 1.25mm thickness. I made an error when I put the page on my website and copied the error when I replied to the original post.
    I will correct the website article.
    Thanks for pointing this out
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow!
    I didn't expect such radical and immediate action (but probably, I will do the same )
    Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mbole,
    I spent a long time checking and rechecking the bearing dimensions before I made the washers to ensure that they were correct. After your posting I checked again and agreed with the 1.25 mm washer thickness. I then just had to go and check the actual washers on the lathe
    When I made the taper roller bearing mod I made sure that the end bearing was a tight sliding fit so that it would be easy (relatively) to remove the spindle again if necessary. The end bearing must slide in order to be able to adjust the end play in the bearings.
    Are you going to use the "washer" method? I found that it was a relatively straight forward mod to do.
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I will. And thank you for very useful infos.
    I just finished making washers, and few parts that will (I hope) help me to do this seamlessly. Nothing special, just one cylinder that I will use to press inner part of the front bearing over the spindle and one thick washer that fits nice in to the back side of the spindle so I can use treaded rod to remove it.
    I'm not sure yet, because I don't know what is outer diameter of existing plastic spacers inside, but maybe it will be necessary to remove a little bit from the diameter that sit on the bearing.
    The cage on bearings that I have is protruding about 1.5mm from the face of inner racing, and inner diameter of the cage is 41mm. So, if existing plastic spacers are larger than 41mm (or lets say 40mm) it will be necessary to reduce that diameter over at least 0.25 length (washers are 1.25, so 1.5-1.25=0.25), let say over 1mm length just to be on the safe side. Fortunately, there is a small machine shop near me.
    Maybe I will replace bearings on the countershaft to (just put new ones, same dimension and type), if it can be done without removing headstock from the bad.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drmico60 View Post
    When I made the taper roller bearing mod I made sure that the end bearing was a tight sliding fit so that it would be easy (relatively) to remove the spindle again if necessary. The end bearing must slide in order to be able to adjust the end play in the bearings.
    How did you achieve this? As I see it, it will be necessary to remove few thousands from spindle. Easy if you have operational lathe, but in this moment it isn't.

Did you need to add some gasket or some other spacer between headstock casting and bearing cover, because now the inner bearing race is moved 1.25mm toward the tailstock?

As lathe wouldn't be operational after I remove the spindle, I'm trying to prepare everything in advance.

PS
    Sory form my "Tarzan English", it is not my native language

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mbole,
    When I fitted the taper bearings I also changed the spindle from one with an 80mm flange to one with a 100 mm flange. I was able to work on the 100mm spindle using the 80mm already mounted on the lathe. The screwed end of the 100 mm spindle was chucked in the lathe and the other end supported in the tailstock using an MT3 centre in the spindle and a 60 degree female centre in the tailstock. It was necessary to remove very little metal (circa 0.025 mm)and this I did by polishing the spindle using fine silicon carbide paper.
    To polish the spindle to a tight sliding fit in the bearings will be difficult without a lathe. Could you set it up on a drilling machine with a plug in the spindle at the screwed end, chucked in the drill chuck, and the other end, fitted with an MT3 centre, resting in a drilled centre hole in a block attached to the table?
    I did not have any problem refitting the bearing covers without the use of a gasket.
    I cannot tell from your posts that english is not your native language.
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe it will be easiest to make a visit to local machine shop. There are some nice people in it, and usually they even don't charge me for some small jobs that can't fit on mini lathe.

MS Word spell checker can make almost all the difference between Tarzan and Lord Greystoke

Downloads
    Uploads

It works

Just finished.
    Almost no difficulties at all.
    Just countershaft bearings were little bit tight fit, so it was bit hard to remove them (one was in really bad condition).

The fit between spindle and inner racings was almost just right (tight slide). Just few strokes with P2000 grit sandpaper, wrapped around spindle and rotated by hand was enough to get really nice fit. It even wasn't necessary but there were a few just barely visible marks on the spindle I believe from fitting original bearings with hammer.

I will make new big plastic spacer, because original is really rough, and I have some polyacetal and polyamide in scrap box (but that will wait until tomorrow). I just temporary fitted original one without the key for the leadscrew gear on the spindle, so I can machine new one.
    Original length was 31.7mm, so new one should be 29.2 (3.17-2.5 because each new bearing added 1.25mm to the length of spacers and inner gear). Inner diameter is 28.1mm an outer is 40mm, just in case someone will do the same mod, so it can be machined before disassembling the headstock.

Two inner plastic spacers have 40mm outer diameter so it wasn't necessary to machine them (diameter of bearing cage was 41mm).

It will be necessary to do some more fine adjustment, but even now it work very smooth.

Thanks for great advices Mike.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mbole,
    It is good to hear that it all went well and the fitting of the bearings to the spindle was straightforward.
    When I did the bearing change I had misgivings about whether I had everything ready in advance, whether there was some unforseen difficulty that I could not cope with when the lathe was stripped down etc. But it was all very straightforward.
    Mike