Uploads

Soooo, what did I win??????
    Maybe just one of these?

looks good keep on plugging away

JTCUSTOMS

Downloads
    Uploads

Default lol

Yeah and i came in 2nd,,,,,so my runner up prize???
    lmao

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like your prize is......

ROFLMAO!!!

JTCUSTOMS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ballnut holder complete (almost)

You guys crack me up
    You can fight it out between you two to see who gets the wedgie and who has to settle for the nutcracker

Anyhow, went ahead and milled out the ballnut holder today. Got it all mounted up and used the old power drill trick to check out the function. Works great!!! Smooth running with no discernable backlash. Won't really know that though until the projects completed. You may be asking yourself "What are those tabs sticking off the ballnut mount? Stay tuned and find out, I need to sit down and design something to hook up to those.... Til then here's the pics...

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0080-jpg HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0082-jpg HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0085-jpg

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0074-jpg HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0075-jpg HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0078-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay....today I sat down and figured out how those two tabs sticking out the back of the ballnut holder were gonna work. Laid out plans in Visio, then Dolphin CADCAM. Took it to the mill and half hour later, out it pops!! Actually had to take it to the lathe to open up the bore and finish up the circular part... But, here it is... my ballscrew cover!!!

Wow, talk about anticlimatic. Anyhow, now I don't need to worry about chips in the ballnut. The entire screw will be covered either by this cover or the cross slide.

This weekend project is gonna slow down a bit. Out of town the next couple of weekends. I have spent soooo much time getting this far that I have neglected almost everything else. Still shooting to have this done by New Years. All I need to finish for the x axis is the motor mount, front chip cover and pulley cover. The first two are easy peasy with my HF bending brake. The last piece will have to wait until SDP sends me my timing pulleys, but I have some neat ideas for that. Till then...

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0092-jpg

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0094-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most Excellent work - got to run

U have PM

Regards,

Bill S

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default X axis completed (almost)

Found a few hours this weekend so I fabricated the stepper motor mount for the X axis. Also made a chip guard for the X axis assembly from .080 aluminum. Tried my hand at engraving with Dolphin CAM just for the heck of it. Don't know how well it shows in the pics, but I'm pleased with it. I may go a bit deeper the next time. All I need to do is design and fabricate the pulley and belt cover and I'll totally be done with this axis and will turn my attention to the Z axis.

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0100-jpg

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0102-jpg

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0103-jpg

Picked up a blasting cabinet so I can put a glass bead matte finish on the parts when I'm all done. Any suggestions to what size beads to use?
    Also Hobocrow gave me a tip for a killer deal on some new software. I purchased and installed Shark FX V7. Don't know if I'll have time to figure it out any time soon, but a good project might me to solid model all these parts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ronncat View Post
    Found a few hours this weekend so I fabricated the stepper motor mount for the X axis. Also made a chip guard for the X axis assembly from .080 aluminum. Tried my hand at engraving with Dolphin CAM just for the heck of it. Don't know how well it shows in the pics, but I'm pleased with it. I may go a bit deeper the next time. All I need to do is design and fabricate the pulley and belt cover and I'll totally be done with this axis and will turn my attention to the Z axis.

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0100-jpg

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0102-jpg

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0103-jpg

Picked up a blasting cabinet so I can put a glass bead matte finish on the parts when I'm all done. Any suggestions to what size beads to use?
    Also Hobocrow gave me a tip for a killer deal on some new software. I purchased and installed Shark FX V7. Don't know if I'll have time to figure it out any time soon, but a good project might me to solid model all these parts.
    and looking Good!
    The glass bead finish will really make the parts look professional. I can't help you with the bead size or the settings - I'm sure others can help and will.

Did you bend the stepper bracket with your HF break? (looks pretty thick)

I sent an e-mail to Dolphinusa with a couple questions concerning the Mill module - anyways, you should be able to import SharkFX files directly into Dolphin - yes?

Best,

Bill S

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bill,
    Yes, I bent the motor mount bracket on my HF brake. It's 1/8" 5052 and bends nicely with just a bit of muscle. I've bent it with and against the grain with none of the "cracking" problems that people speak of.

As far as Shark, I opened it up for the first time last night. Got tired of reading the manual. Designed a goblet just as the tutorial showed. Very cool. Since you can save in a DXF format, it should go right into DolphinCAM. However, I don't have the Dolphin 3D CAM so I can't export 3D files, only 2-1/2D. I guess, if I ever get proficient enough in CAD design that I might pop for the 3D upgrade. I wonder if they have a Hobby rate?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default looookng gooood

when your done i'll have to copy your design...seems there is no need to further design anything ou got it all covered...nice work
    bz

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice!!!!!!

<a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini-lathe/82871-7-x-10-project-started.html" target="_blank">7X10 Lathe conversion</a>
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-source-cnc-machine-designs/335846-cnc.html" target="_blank">Custom X-Carve router</a>
    <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/tooldesign" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a>

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bison Chuck Back Plate

Thanks everyone for the props

Today I took a break from the CNC portion of my build. I've been sitting on a 6" Bison chuck that I got from ebay. Decided I better make a backplate for it before I got too far into the project. Have been avoiding making this as the memories of hot iron chips being flung all about was still fresh in my mind from when I made the backplate for my 4 jaw chuck. Anyhow, thought I'd document this for anyone else that might be tackling this same project. This is the way I did it ...don"t know if it was the easy way or even the right way, but it worked....

First I turned a replica of the spindle journal from scrap.HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0111-jpg
    Mounted the rough back plate in my 4 jaw, and proceeded to bore out the center to match the chuck thru hole. You'll see why I did this first in a minute.HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0112-jpgHF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0113-jpg
    After boring, took a facing cut, then proceeded to machine in the journal portion that fits on the spindleHF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0115-jpgHF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0117-jpg
    The completed spindle side of the backplate, and then drilled and tapped and studs placed.HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0118-jpgHF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0121-jpg

Now here's the reason I bored it out first. Needed to cut the nubbie thing off the rough plate. When I made my first one I didn't think to slow the lathe down and therefor fried the parting blade in a couple of seconds. I then proceed to HACK with a hacksaw for the next hour to finish the job. This time, slowed down the lathe (Did I tell you I love vfd?) and the nub came off nicely. By boring out the inside earlier, I had a lot less iron to cut through.HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0122-jpg

Finally turned the journal to fit the Bison, drilled the holes for the bolts and ...all done
    HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0123-jpgHF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0127-jpg
    Now I can go back and finish CNCing the lathe. I did the CADCAM design fo the pulley cover. Out of town this weekend, so I probably won't get to it till next week...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This morning I stripped off all the nonessential parts from the lathe. Then I test fit the Z-axis ballscrew. Went right on. Guessed right when I ordered it! Then I reassembled the CNC parts on the machine. Looks like the rest of the conversion should be straightforward...I just need to find the time to do it. Pretty soon I'll have to start thinking about the electronics side. Any good suggestions for limit switches??? Optical vs mechanical??? I have optical ones on my lathe, but after seeing how the iron dust from turning the backplate was EVERYWHERE, I'm wondering if mechanical would be more reliable.

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0130-jpg

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0131-jpg

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0133-jpg

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0134-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default X axis done (really this time)

Milled the last piece for my X axis conversion this evening. It is the pulley and belt cover. Held on by rare earth magnets that are contained by grub screws.

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0135-jpg

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0139-jpg

Next I start on the Z axis. Will need to drill and tap a hole to locate the fixed ballscrew mount as it's screw location is slighty diffrerent than the stock acme screw mount. The floating side fits perfectly! I will need to mill only 3 or 4 simple pieces to complete the Z axis. A motor mount, 2 apron extensions and possibly a ballscrew cover pilot or 2. These should be a little simpler to design and mill than the parts for the X axis

Anyhow, starting to think about the electronics side. Another Zoner, Art (Bubba) turned me on to a great thread about hall effect sensors in the Open Source Machine Designs section. I decided that I'll build some of these sensors for my home and possibly hard limits. I'm not too worried about the magnets as I predominately work with aluminum and plastics. Also, I'll find a location that will be well shielded from swarf in the event I do machine some ferrous metals.

Also decided that I will give this lathe it's very own computer and controller. Ordered a refurbished Dell this morning and will soon order another Gecko G540 and stuff to make a controller box. Till then, I can at least use my existing electronics to test the conversion. Will post pics of my progress with the Z axis when I find the time to work on it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Z axis stepper motor mount

Completed the final mounting of the Z axis ballscrew. Drilled and tapped holes to secure the fixed and floating blocks. It was necessary to reposition a couple of holes on the fixed mount as the hole pattern was ever so slightly different than the acme mount.

With this complete, I next quickly fabricated the Z axis steeper motor mounting plate and some standoffs. Here is the plate with the motor mounted onto it.

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0142-jpg HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0143-jpg

Then the whole assembly is mounted to the lathe. What I like about the Z axis conversion is...Now you see it...

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0147-jpg

Now you don't

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0150-jpg

Mental note to myself...Order some shorter belts...

All that is left for the mechanical portion of this conversion is the apron extensions that connect the Z ballscrew to the saddle. I have already designed these and will get them milled during the week. Also have received my hall effect sensors and so will start to design my mounts for home and limits. I decided to give the lathe its own set of electronics, so I know am now the proud owner of another touch screen, CPU, and Gecko G540. Need to go back and remember how I designed and built the control box for my mill...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ronncat View Post
    Mental note to myself...Order some shorter belts...
    Looking good, plenty of room for an idler there instead of purchasing another belt might be cheaper too

JTCUSTOMS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good idea for an idler JT. Unfortunately, by the time I read it I had already placed my order with SDP. Needed some spare belts and they're only about 6 bucks apiece. Milled the prototypes for apron extensions. My math was off and I missed centering the ballscrew holes by 25 thousandths. Enough to make me want to remill them. So off to the supply company for more stock tomorrow. I'll try to have the Z axis done in a couple of days. Spent all of yesterday ordering everything for the controller box. While I wait for the UPS man to deliver all that I think I'll start on the hall effect home switches.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Z axis now functional

Today, I remilled the apron extensions/ballnut holder for the Z axis. Here is the left side to which the ballnut attaches.

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0153-jpg HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0154-jpg

Then with the ballnut bolted on :

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0155-jpg

And finally mounted onto the saddle:

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0158-jpg

Lastly, the right side finished and attached:

HF 8X12 CNC Conversion starting...Need Help-img_0161-jpg

Note the large indented cups on the outside of each extension. These will act as the pilots for the ballscrew covers. I just need to cut out a chip guard to seal the bottom and the small area exposed on the backside of the screw enclosures. With the ballscrew covers all in place, the screws should be well protected from chips and moisture. Finally, I'll get to try out my blast cabinet with some glass beads I picked up. I think I'll polish a couple of pieces and give the rest the blasted finish.

I am considering mounting my Hall effect home switches within the enclosure as well. They can be triggered by a magnet that I can embed into the framework of the lathe. Since there is almost a 1-1/4" difference between how far my 3 jaw and 4 jaw extend out, my home switches will have to adjust depending upon which chuck I am using. Will have to ponder that one for awhile

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Edit my thoughts on the home switch. What I should have said is that I will need to have two sets of soft limits for the Z axis. One for the 4 jaw, and one for the 3 jaw that extends out much further. I also could consider adding a limit switch to the Z axis that could be positioned to limit travel towards the spindle and prevent crashing. And how about some movable hard stops just in case????

Opinions please....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ron, that's Beautiful!

Really! Looking very clean. You'll be Mach3 turning in no time at all.

btw, hiding the stepper motor in between the bed legs is pretty clever Buddy ...

keep at it,

Bill S

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast