I'm considering a mini-lathe. I found a Emco Compact 5 (manual version) that's in good shape, but it's missing enough accessories that by the time I get them (used if I can at all), it will cost a more than a mini-lathe new. And it appears that about every upgrade is made for the mini-lathes, so I expect parts and such would be more readily available than the Emco, even if it is better made (not sure that it is, but I expect so). Further, I'm just starting to learn CNC on a new desktop router so I expect in a year or so I'll want to mod whatever lathe I get to CNC as well. Again, more off the shelf availability on the mini-lathes I expect.

So if I bail on the Emco Compact 5, I'm looking at one of the newer ones with the variable speed control, but there appear to be 2 main versions of it.

The ones from Little Machine Shop and Microlux *seem* to be the best options due to their motor. They claim a 500w 0.67 HP brushless DC motor, belt drive and fully adjustable speed. No shifter. The LMS comparison chart ( Mini Lathe Comparison - LittleMachineShop.com ) shows other at 0.34HP, which a shifter for 2 speed ranges.

When you look at the specs for the other machines, they claim 3/4 HP. I note the 0.34 and 3/4 are pretty close (from a character standpoint) and am inclined to believe LMS chart. I can see where that Chinese translation could have been made, on purpose or otherwise. As the LMS is based on the SEIG SC2? which is newer, one could believe it has a better motor.

The incremental cost between the "3/4 HP claimed" and the LMS/Microlux units isn't that much.

Can anyone give me the real scoop on the HP ratings of the motors in these units?