Build Thread Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12 - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent work Mark! Good thing you're not a procrastinator.

CR.

http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks CR. Do have a "what's new" index on your website?

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mark! That's a good idea. I guess it should be at the top of the homepage when I do it.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK. What's new index started.

http://crevicereamer.com/

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recently made one of these as well, after putting it off for a year or so. It was pretty much all eyeballed and made to fit, and somewhat to my surprise, it actually works. It's hard to underestimate how much more enjoyable this makes the lathe.

One thing which made a big improvement was replacing the clamping plate that rides under the ways with a nice thick steel plate that won't deform when you clamp down. This solved the worst of my tailstock alignment issues.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-img_0080-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks CR.

Sansbury -I am surprised that the Chinese were able the manufacture these things with such an absence of rectilinearity.

Regards,
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Alternative tailstock design

Hi Folks

Just seen this thread whiist searching for some thing else and thought this alternative tailstock might help. As we all know there are a number of factories turning out mini lathes sharing a common ancestry which is I believe Russian circa 1970 they have been improved in different ways. The tailstock of the RedBull appears to be better than the Seig C3 style for the photos in this thread and others. The RedBull mini lathe (7xXX) is sold in the USA by BigDog and in the UK by Amerdeal. This design of tailstock is also used on some other mini lathes. The base is a full 4 inches long and the length over all is about 5.5 inches. I could measure the height to the center and the bed dimensions if anyone is interested as there could be differences here as well!

The going rate in the UK as a spare is £28GB for the complete tailstock assembly.

Keep up the good work as these machines are worth some TLC and the factories might incorporate some of your ideas into their designs.

Regards - Pat

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-redbull-bigdog-cj0618-7x12-mini-late-tail  

Downloads
    Uploads

Good tip, thanks Pat. That looks like a lot beefier setup, and the foot had a decent length of line contact on the ways. I'll have to look into getting one next time I am over in the UK.

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Polishing the turd - was:Cam lock tail stock for 7x12.

You know how I wasn't going to do any cosmetic upgrade to this crappy tail stock.

I changed my mind.

I just hated the way the twp castings did not fit properly together. So I figured I'd strip it down, clean up the wonky joints and bog it up, before painting it.

Most of the existing paint and bog flaked of really easily with a scraper. The rest I when over with a stainless brush in the angle grinder. The details got hit with the Proxxon fine grinder, and then I could file the casting joints by hand.

This photo is about half way done. Shame I don't have access to a sand blaster.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-img_6914-jpg  
    Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

One thing lead to another, (as they do), and I starting thinking about the way the center drill makes a slight jump as it enters the work. Maybe this thing is not that well aligned. I couldn't remember how anal I had gone about aligning the thing back when I did it in 2004.

The lathe quite accurately between centers with taper of only a few tenths over 3 inchs, so it can not be far out.

I set about measuring.

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tailstock alignment 7x lathe.

First I looked at the centering of the casting hole.

You can see that the vertical height is pretty good, but this is not centered horizontally. Looks like I didn't spend the time to get it adjusted right back in 2004.

Luckily, the adhesive I thought was epoxy between the upper and lower castings turned out to be super glue, so a half hour in the over was enough to reopen that joint.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-040-casting-centering-top-jpg   Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-041-casting-centering-fwd-jpg   Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-042-casting-centering-lwr-jpg   Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-043-casting-centering-aft-jpg  

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Next I measured the ram, first retracted...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-045-shaft-centering-top-jpg   Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-046-shaft-centering-fwd-jpg   Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-047-shaft-centering-lwr-jpg   Cam lock Tail stock for 7x12-048-shaft-centering-aft-jpg  

Regards,
    Mark

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast