Emco Compact 5 PC...have ???? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emco Compact 5 PC...have ????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Erchur View Post
    Bob,

I am retrofitting a Compact 5 PC lathe and have an available stepper board and original stepper mottors if you are interested. The Compact 5 PC and Compact 5 CNC use many of the same boards.

The part number on the stepper motor board I have is:

A6C403000
    A6PC-001/U4

Look up the part number on your board and if the same this one may be of use to you.

If interested we can discuss how to trade. I would consider selling or trading for tooling.

Ed

Still have any parts available? I'm looking for a CPU board part number A6C114004 to upgrade my A6C114003.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HI

HAs anyone managed to get an emco compact 5 cnc to work from a dxf file yet?

I am considering buying one but if I can find an easy way to run one from a dxf file I will stay away...

Please let me know if anyone can help.

Many Thanks

Joel

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by theoboeman View Post
    HI

HAs anyone managed to get an emco compact 5 cnc to work from a dxf file yet?
    It is possible and actually quite easy to create a part and toolpaths using the obsolete Emco CAD/CAM DOS software, available from the Yahoo group "Emco_cnc_users", but you probably can't use AutoCAD or IntelliCAD (a free AutoCAD clone) for creating the DXF file – as the EMCO software won't read it correctly. You'll need to find some other CAD package and see if it works for creating compatible DXF files. I spent several hours yesterday to find which IntelliCAD 2000 DXF formats work and which do not. For some odd reason the imported DXF geometry was always shifted several inches from the (0,0) point and usually the DXF file couldn't be read in at all.

The best way for you to go would be to retrofit the Compact 5 CNC lathe to use a normal PC computer and Mach3 as the controller. It's quite easy. After that you won't have any compatibility problems as most CAM software can export compatible G code for any lathe having Mach3 as the controller, and there won't be practically any file size limitations like the original CNC controller has.

You'll probably need to change the old-fashioned and weak Emco steppers and drivers found on a stock lathe to modern steppers or servos, which is quite inexpensive and easy. I'm going to rebuild my lathe to use small 100W Yaskawa servos that can be easily and extremely accurately controlled by the Mach3 software, although I'll need to make new timing belt pulleys for the 8mm shafts on the servos. The stock stepper shafts are either 6mm or 6.35mm (1/4") in diameter, so the original timing pulleys can probably be used without too much machining on any decent stepper motors.

It all depends on how much time (and money, perhaps) you want to spend on these machines. The basic iron is good, but the electronics is as obsolete as any 80s computer electronics can be. Lots of repairs to be expected even if the machine runs well now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123