Emco Compact 5 PC...have ???? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emco Compact 5 PC...have ????

Downloads
    Uploads

my problem is more severe i cant end my program on my cnc5 I put a g22 code in and get a A00 error? Any ideas
    Thanks
    Gene

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also have a CNC5 and have been having some difficulty with using MasterCAM to generate good code. I made the changes and updated the post as you suggested but still am having alarm problems with GO2's 3's. I can run a program and it will go through a couple 02 03 with problem then come to one and get the wrong radius alarm. Sometimes it won't even put a circular movement where there should be one. Do you have any other tips that might help?

Also, to Double G, I was having the same trouble finding my drawing when using a dxf and it was being loaded in the lower left of the screen view. So I did my drawing in the upper right and was able to find the drawing and then shift it into place.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy EMCO Compact5 PC

Quote Originally Posted by primotool
    thanks Ill try there
    Do you know of a diagram for a compact5 PC machine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a emco cnc 5 and am using mastercam with the post update as shown in H2O's thread, but still can't get the thing to work right. If there is anyone successfully using the cnc 5 and mastercam could I contact you to talk about mine? I have worked with mastercam getting this to work right but they don't seem to really care a whole lot. I would just like to see how your config settings and other parameter setting are set up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have a good working post for mastercam 9 if anyone needs it let me know how to put it on here and i will i have ran several parts with it and it is working fine
    joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im new here, new to cnc, and pretty new to lathes:P I need the manuals, programs, and to know how the computer hooks up. The machine has no paperwork and there is 1 connector not being used on the back of the lathe but no more cables. I checked the yahoo group but the cnc manual was a link which is now dead. I don't know what mastercam is other than checking their site, and I don't have the post processor either.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I can get help with the lathe itself but making it communicate with a PC, and then taking autocad files and converting them is what I will probably be hung up on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default upgrade for compact 5 Emco

You guys with the compact 5 lathes might want to look at the welsoft upgrade for these lathes, go to www.welsoft.com thay are in the UK.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

what is your EMCO Compact 5 PC Software Version?

regards

Frank

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Compact 5 schematic

Quote Originally Posted by primotool View Post
    Does any 1 know where I can get a wiring Diagram for A Emco compact 5 cnc lather ? I need to fiqure out why I dont have any X or Y movement but the turret moves? X and Y jogs on the screen but the slides and servor mototrs dont move and stay cool while the turret motor get warm which is normal for warm motors... just got this lathe and Im tring to get it to run..

Thanks for any help
    Gene

Gene,

I wonder if you managed to get a schematic? I am now in a similar situation and wonder if anyone can help. I purchased a compact 5 with turret a few weeks ago and have so far played around and turned out a few simple parts, I seem to of caught the bug though because I got a follow on from a guy with a later model compact 5 with M codes offering me a complete faulty machine with spares including chucks and a milling head. Apparently the spindle turns but there is no x-y movement and he has been told it is probably a relay fault.

So I am on the lookout for some info, unfortunately the Yahoo group link in this discussion seems to be inactive now.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Downloads
    Uploads

here you are gents here is a valid link for that emco user group. ive got all the files for the manual which include a simple wiring diagram which does display stepper motors connections etc, use that link or if still having trouble p.m your email me i'll mail the files over

Downloads
    Uploads

hello gents, here is a valid link for that yahoo user group:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Emco_cnc_users/

if anyone is still having trouble getting the manual p.m me i can send it over through email i have saved it onto hdd.

there is a wiring diagram on page 35 perhaps it will help some, im not sure it is the full diagram for the machine just the main connections between hardware.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm just curious.
    Would it be worthwhile and worth the $ to update the drivers/ boards (but keep the motors) to something capable of running something more current like Mach3 etc.? I'm in the process of updating a bridgeport type mill and it's not all that expensive. I would think that for under $500 or so it should be doable and might give you much greater flexibility.

Just a thought...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

i have designed a Interface Kit for EMCO Compact 5 CNC & 5 PC to use all
    Software with Step/Dir. Use also original Encoder. Can switch between Full
    Step / Half Step. Only move out CPU Board and Plug in the Interface.
    The price for the Interface is Euro 400,--. You can see it on my Homepage
    www.scnct.de But it´s only in German Language in the moment.

regards

Frank

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default EMCO PC5 Software

First you have to understand where the position of the part is on the screen vs. when you open it up in another software package. to make it easy make a simple box drawing on the EMCO screen and save it in the "Archives" as a drawing (.dxf) file. Then open the desired CAD program and it will be in the upper +y,+x quadrant, note the position in X & Y and you can make yor drawings in this location, this way they will be in the correct area when you load them into the EMCO software. Any drawings drawn & saved in the EMCO software will load up in this area.
    Once you "think" like the software its pretty simple. I make my drawings in the EMCO software and have been able to open them in BobCad, MasterCam, etc. I use the EMCO software to generate he code as well, sometimes its quirky but I have made dozens & dozens of parts on my PC5.
    Do you have the EMCO manuals for programming?? They are much easier than AutoCad to learn as they were designed for highschool students with no expirence.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The motors are the first thing I would toss. They are like 60 oz inches and the resolution is about 1\3 of a modern 200 step motor. These motors are no longer avaliable and when they were were outrageously expensive at $ 500.00 EACH!! EMCO didnt use off the shelf motors and these were custom made for them.
    First thing I would do is get 2 nice 145 oz. Pac Scientific steppers, drill & ream the shaft for the pin for the cogged belts, get 2 Gecko drives, breakout board & power supply. Mach3 software and your done, about $ 800.00.
    A local engneer is working on a custom turret for these series lathes (PC5) as they werent offered with one from EMCO.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you check the fuses?, if you have no X or Y movement your stepper motor board may be bad, they can self desruct like mine did. Usuallywhen this happens the steppers go out as well. I have a CNC5 and one night afer work I decided to run a few parts, switched on the lathe and ran a program. About 15 seconds later I noticed the slides werent moving and I sawa perfect colunm of smoke rising about 2 feet over the "Z" axis. First reaction was "cool !!" but then realized it had taken big dump on me !! I called EMCO and almost fainted when they told me the price of the motors & stepper board. I found a good deal on the PC5 and am finishing up the conversion of the CNC soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Retrofit for CNC5

Hi All...

I just discovered the CNCzone and it is great... I have a CNC5 that has had the electronics poop out... Or at least I think so. The tape drive had a problem, so at the suggestion of a gentlemen on the Yahoo users group, I just un plugged the drive and entered a short program by hand. It worked as fine... After not using the lathe for a number of months, I tried it again and now it won't work at all... The little 1 amp fuse on the power supply pops as soon as I turn on the power... Oh well, time for a retrofit I suppose...

Do any of you gentlemen have any suggestions for an idiot proof, bolt on, 'plug-n-play' retrofit system? Or how about a website that may offer such a system?

I would like to get the lathe working again...

Regards
    and Happy New Year to you all...

Bob Emott
    birtyres@nsm.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,

I am retrofitting a Compact 5 PC lathe and have an available stepper board and original stepper mottors if you are interested. The Compact 5 PC and Compact 5 CNC use many of the same boards.

The part number on the stepper motor board I have is:

A6C403000
    A6PC-001/U4

Look up the part number on your board and if the same this one may be of use to you.

If interested we can discuss how to trade. I would consider selling or trading for tooling.

Ed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the offer but I think I want to do a complete electronic retrofit of my lathe. I had already purchased a new tape drive to try to get my lathe back into operation and this swap was not sucessful... So I think a complete changeover is my best route...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tried the emulate this but i can only download a program from my CNC5 for some reason I cannot get the upload to work. I really do not understand this part:

first lines and last lines = 100(0)
    add to end of line = "select CR+LF"

Did you actually type in "select CR+LF" with quotes and all? I tried that plus just using ascii keys and still did not work.

Any insight would be helpful.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by h_2_o View Post
    all right here is how i do it, btw this is long so sorry
    --------------------------------------------
    as for connecting to the compact 5 that
    appears to be where you are getting a little hung up. I have not
    been able to connect with anything but freenclink and here are the
    directions, this should work for any nc linking software, and if you
    cant find nclinkfree let me know i'll get it out there somewhere, it
    should be available from onecnc, but i can never find it on thier
    site.

inside the nc software set it up in this manner
    set your com port to whatever one you want to use
    baud = 300
    data bits 7
    parity = even
    stop bits = 1
    xon/xoff not checked
    dtr/dsr not checked
    rts/cts not checked

first lines and last lines = 100(0)
    i dont know why it's that way but it needs it there
    timing line delay (msec) = 0
    ignore line prefix = (
    add to end of line = "select CR+LF"

ok, now that the options are set how to get the file over there

turn on emco cnc
    start nclink free on the computer
    on the emco press the "H/C" button
    then hit the "inp" button
    then type '66'
    then "inp" again
    a screen should come up rs232 operation etc....
    then hit "inp" again
    the screen should say load program
    now go back to the computer and load up your program
    you want to send over in nc link
    go to utilities, then send
    do not mess with the settings and click on the start button
    the emco screen will say "program being loaded" and once done it will
    have the program up on the screen
    now go over to the emco and hit the start button
    -----------------------

good luck and if you have any questions let me know and i'll try and help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast