I have a 1984 Partner IV with Centurion IV control. I got tired of it forgetting its parameters in the middle of a job and other annoying habits.
I am in the process of upgrading the controls. I kept the power supply, contactors, servo motors, encoders and limit switches. I have installed a Geckodrive G100 controller and G320 servo drives. Currently I am in the process of getting the communication going and testing the hardware.
I am using Mach 3 software from artsoft.
I have replaced the speed control with a Hitachi 200. This enables me to run the machine on single phase.
So far the project has gone OK, a little tedious at times and a few false starts. I have never attempted anything like this before so if I can make it work I believe anyone can.
Since this is a hobby the time taken to make the conversion is less important to me than the cost. So far I have about $1500 invested in the conversion and have been working on it off and on for a couple of months. I think that the education that I am getting in the process is well worth the time and effort that has been expended.
I hope to be fully operational in the near future and expect to post the results.