Using WORDS in programming Cent V

Thread: Using WORDS in programming Cent V

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Using WORDS in programming Cent V

Hello all, long time lurker, first post. I've got a VM-16 with a Cent V control and I've been getting pretty comfortable with it. The guys I'm working for aren't willing to do anything in the way of upgrades and the memory is pityfully small. The floppy drive isn't working and I've tried replacing it, so it must be the control card. I also cannot get a DNC connection, it appears the COM ports are run on the same card as the floppy. Due to this, there are several part programs in the memory that I can't erase and I'm learning to be pretty crafty with my programming in order to minimize space usage and having to reprogram the "working" program I use to do random operations. Using the WORDS I've successfully created loops along with switches back and forth from absolute to incremental to create particular bevels etc.
    Code:
    N10
    OPERATION HERE
    GOTO N10
    This works well for lots of repeating operations, but right now I'm having to keep an eye on the monitor and e-stop it when it gets to the right location. Far from correct I know. I want to do something like this:
    Code:
    WHILE Z > -2.000
    N10
    OPERATION HERE
    GOTO N10
    ENDWHILE
    I just haven't been able to figure out the proper syntax and I can't find any information on programming with words. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you have a manual, look at the Parametric Programming section.

Here is a section describing the WHILE statement:

WHILE-WEND
    The second type of conditional statement is the WHILE-WEND statement. A WHILE statement contains an expression that controls the repeated execution of the blocks contained between the WHILE and WEND statements.

The expression controlling the repetition must contain one of the set of relational operators which allows the expression to be reduced to either true or false. The expression is evaluated before the contained blocks are executed. The contained blocks are executed repeatedly as long as the expression is true. If the expression is false at the beginning the blocks are not executed.

Example: N20 WHILE [[P2*P3]/COS[P6]] LT P2
    N21 P6 = P6 + 1
    N22 Y[P2] Z[P3]
    N23 X[P6]
    N24 X1 Y0 Z0
    N25 WEND
    N26 M30

In this example lines N20 thru N25 will be repeated until the WHILE expression becomes false. Then line N26 will be executed instead of N21.

Note: Nested WHILE loops are allowed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. Just having the proper name will help me read up on it and begin to get a base with which to experiment and try to figure it out. Unfortunately, the owners of the machine aren't willing to spring for the manuals. It's frustrating to say the least. I don't even have the maintance manual. I will study up on this and come back when I have a worthy question.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VM16 floppy problem

If this is an older control, C5 it may not have 16550 uart chips for serial com. If this is the case then on your PC, in the advanced com port settings, check the box for " turn off FIFO buffers".

On the floppy drive cable is an adaptor board. this adapts the old 5.25" floppy drive cable to the "newer" 34 pin connector on the 3.5" floppy drives. some times this board goes bad.(they quit making this board a number of years ago) Try installing a new 34pin cable from the top of the control over to the floppy drive.
    On the I/O board (floppy, Rs232 etc) there is a second RS-232 port. Try swapping the connector to the #2 port and then set up in the CTRL parameters for the "primary com port " set it to 2 and make sure all the prams are set basic is even/7/2 9600 try higher baud rates and see if they work. depends on the cable and routing.

Try a new I/O board.

To help getting the hang of parametric programming try writting a program in conversatioal and looking at the "O" (text) file for the program. it uses parametrics.

PM me for other options.

Sportybob

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for those tips! I'll definately check it out. I'm really wanting to upgrade the floppy to a flash reader/floppy adapter, but there's no point if the drive doesn't even read. Is there any options for upgrading the whole interface card? or just a straight swap over? I've seen a few full motherboard upgrades, but since it's not my machine, that's too much to pull off.

Seriously, these guys are so lost. I was traumatized for the first month. They had the coolant pump hard wired to a wall plug with a ball valve to open and close the flow. So you had to stick your head in the machine and turn off the ball valve to take a look, meanwhile, you're taking a coolant shower. After noticing that the flood light turned on and off when programmed, I started tracing down the voltages and listening for a solenoid to click.(remember, these folks don't have any manuals for this machine) I traced it to the military style plug right next to the pump and verified that the circuit was functioning perfectly, just not connected. Completely dumbfounded by this, I began to ponder why anyone would do something so silly. My only conclusion was that somehow they didn't have the right connector and just made do with what was available. Then I found the connector in the bottom drawer of the shop toolbox.

As for the parametric programming, I'm currently studying for my degree in computer programming, so I really just needed to get my hands on the proper syntax for it and a little explanation and I'm taking off! (I found the manual online finally!) Now I just have to learn calc and trig. I'm working on writing my own wizards now for pockets, facing, etc. to hone my skills. I'll definately take you up on the offer for help when I get stuck, as I know I will. Thanks for the reply!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by x69rzx View Post
    Thanks for those tips! I'll definately check it out. I'm really wanting to upgrade the floppy to a flash reader/floppy adapter, but there's no point if the drive doesn't even read. Is there any options for upgrading the whole interface card? or just a straight swap over? I've seen a few full motherboard upgrades, but since it's not my machine, that's too much to pull off.

Seriously, these guys are so lost. I was traumatized for the first month. They had the coolant pump hard wired to a wall plug with a ball valve to open and close the flow. So you had to stick your head in the machine and turn off the ball valve to take a look, meanwhile, you're taking a coolant shower. After noticing that the flood light turned on and off when programmed, I started tracing down the voltages and listening for a solenoid to click.(remember, these folks don't have any manuals for this machine) I traced it to the military style plug right next to the pump and verified that the circuit was functioning perfectly, just not connected. Completely dumbfounded by this, I began to ponder why anyone would do something so silly. My only conclusion was that somehow they didn't have the right connector and just made do with what was available. Then I found the connector in the bottom drawer of the shop toolbox.

As for the parametric programming, I'm currently studying for my degree in computer programming, so I really just needed to get my hands on the proper syntax for it and a little explanation and I'm taking off! (I found the manual online finally!) Now I just have to learn calc and trig. I'm working on writing my own wizards now for pockets, facing, etc. to hone my skills. I'll definately take you up on the offer for help when I get stuck, as I know I will. Thanks for the reply!
    G code Pocket and facing routines are already there.

J.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks J. I meant to create those programs for my own educational purposes.

So, I've got the parametric programming going and that's saving me lots of space, but I've got the go ahead to to upgrade the RAM because the memory is still full with only some of the programs. As I stated previously, I haven't been able to establish communication with the Cent5 via RS or DNC. As well, the floppy is unresponsive and I've tested it with multiple drives. No light, no action.

I'm under the impression that the Prime 2C MKIII controller card is bad. Is there any way to check it in the machine? Diagnostics? I've got no way to add programs to the machine at this point other than manual entry. Once I add the new RAM and flash it, I will have to get the programs back on there. Resources are of course limited, but I've got to come up with something!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The I/O card for the floppy drive is a standard ISA card, you should be able to find one locally. The RS232 connection also uses that card.

Replace the card and try again.