Need recomendation for a computer to program vm16 - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need recomendation for a computer to program vm16

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need recomendation for a computer to program vm16

Contact Sporty Bob and he can set you up with something that will work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, serial cables can have 9 pin or 25 pin connectors, DB9 or DB25. Right by your door on the machine where you insert the floppies should have a DB25. Search DB25 on the net and take a look at what you have and it should look the same. Trick will be to find a USB to DB25 direct cable, most likely you'll find DB9 to USB and then have to use an adapter from DB9 to DB25. But like Convertek said, best to contact Sporty Bob and get a cable from him, I'm sure he's already figured out which cable combinations do and don't work.

I've been doing this long enough that we used to make all of our cables "back in the day". So now, I just buy DB9 or DB25 to RJ45 adapters for each end and then I run CAT6 network cable between them. But you have to play with the wiring on the pins to get them to work, kind of hit and miss but I figured it out. In your case, probably best to buy a cable that is promised to work with your combination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just came in from looking at my machine I did not take the cable out of the cabinet, just counted the pins at the end of the cable.
    There are 9 pin holes. So it looks like that cable you linked me to will work.
    Which is a USB to RS 232 cable....... I am assuming that is correct.???

I am going to have to hit up Sporty Bob in regard to other matters with this machine and I will soon, but right now I have to get things straightened out in my mind with a computer. I NEED A COMPUTER soon. A laptop is the way I want to go. If that will work.

Ya I know Brian is saying that I am overthinking this, maybe I am, but after the discussion with the computer guy today...... ????
    His thinking is that a new laptop won't be able to talk to with my machine and I am trying to touch base with someone who has done it before.
    That way I can tell him what will work.
    Sporty Bob is several 100 miles and a border away and with all the problems that are associated with that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sporty Bob is an email or phone call away. He can tell you what you need to communicate with a Milltronics Centurion 5 controller. A computer shop cant do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry was not fast enough to edit my last post. Went back out to the shop to check the cable. Damn it's cold. -20c.......... so

Now I never doubted you for a minute Brian and you are right. I see that cable goes from 9 pin to 25 pin. OH BOB, Dave here!!

You are right converterk. I guess I am just trying to get it sorted real fast because I don't know if I will be on the internet at all with this computer the way it is now.

Downloads
    Uploads

He might not know much about CNC communication. I would call the folks at CNC Specialty Store 1-414-881-4493 and ask them, but I suspect what you need is this:

https://cnc-specialty-store.com/rs23...9beee0f5741397

And then the cable listed here:

https://cnc-specialty-store.com/rs23...i-fully-tested

Or, if the USB portion of the first listed cable is long enough for you (looks pretty short to me), then you could just use this end to change from DB9 to DB25, it's the K2910-8 Gender Changer on this page:

https://cnc-specialty-store.com/rs23...9beee0f5741397

You will still need a communications software to send/receive the programs, I use one I got for free from ONE CNC called ONE DNC, it's a nice editor and comms package that works very well. You will need to know what baud rate, parity and stop bit settings to use. Let us know what control you have, mine is a Centurion V so I could tell you my settings if that would help.

Downloads
    Uploads

And with a little more searching, this sounds like it would work. Again, call the vendor to clarify. Given my old PC's out there won't last forever, having something that will work with USB is going to be necessary. Quite a bit cheaper too.

https://www.computergeeky.co/index.p...iABEgItlPD_BwE

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all of that Brian, very much appreciated.
    I just got off the phone with SportyBob... Poor guy, on his cell phone, long distance from Canada. EH!! even your name came up. All good though.

I will report back when things get straightened out.

Thanks, Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dave, Not to worry about long distance. My cell phone plan covers me in Canada and Mexico. :-)

sportybob

Downloads
    Uploads

Sportybob, just for future clarification, do you sell a specific cable to go from USB to the machine, or do you have specific brand recommendations that have worked for you in the past?

Thanks!
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
    Sportybob, just for future clarification, do you sell a specific cable to go from USB to the machine, or do you have specific brand recommendations that have worked for you in the past?

Thanks!
    Brian
    Hi Brian, To RS232 to a machine using newer computers using RS-232 a USB to RS-232 adaptor is needed. This unit converts the USB serial data to "normal" serial data.
    These adaptors are all over ebay, BUT some / most of the china units don't work or are problematic.

You will also need software to run the RS-232, Win XP has a Hyper terminal, Win 7 and newer does not.

I can recommend this, https://cnc-specialty-store.com/rs23...84f5a55b65e472
    This is a kit that has the adaptor, cable, tester, and a 60 day trial of the software. The items can also be purchased separately.

https://cnc-specialty-store.com/rs23...84f5a55b65e472

The cable will need to be wired as per the Milltronics drawings. see the attached drawings.

One other note on RS-232. If you have an older 386 / 486 mother board you will need to turn off the FIFO buffers ( first in first out), in the software ( Hyper terminal, DNC4U or any other DNC / RS-232 software) the required chips for FIFO were not yet invented with those boards IO functions.

The DNC4U software works well and is reasonably priced but will need some tweaking for the bit transfer rate (turn it all the way up), call the CNC specialty store they have a good service tech that will help with their products.

Hope this helps, ask if you need more info.

For USB floppy emulators, which ARE NOT a China knock off but made by the company that developed them. I recommend my EMTS kit. the emulator, the hardware, the software a thumb drive, and all the tech support 6 days a week, 7 if it is an emergency ;-)" " it's a kit" PM me or call for ore info
    Electro-Mech Tech Services LLC. | Cologne, MN 55322 for ALL things Milltronics ;-)

sportybob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need recomendation for a computer to program vm16-rs232-cable-information-sketches-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Sportybob,

I would only need the RS232 USB to Serial port adapter as I have already built the DB9 to DB25 cables using Ethernet cables and DB9 and DB25 to Ethernet adapters, makes it really easy by the way. I also have been using the NCLink I think it is called from One DNC, they give it out for free if you contact them. It's a really nice communications software and editor for the programs. It will also drip feed (DNC) to the machine if needed. I upgraded my memory using a Compact Flash card so I don't have to drip feed from a separate computer anymore, still have to load the program into the machine using the cable, but it will run from the machines pc now. I've only done a few 3D programs where the files size got large enough to need to use it.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello guys. What do you know about sports betting? Do you have experience betting here, https://betwinnerapp.in/ ? Please, could you help me quickly find the betting site best suited to my needs? Please, show me the best betting sites, and recommend factors to think about when choosing the best betting site for my betting preferences. Waiting for any advice. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123