Problem VM 16 floppy not working to load parameters

Thread: VM 16 floppy not working to load parameters

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default VM 16 floppy not working to load parameters

I have a 1996 VM16 with Centurion 6 controller running 6.107... I bought the machine as is and new there were problems just not sure what. Once booting it would say Primary HDC falure press F1 to continue. It the loads from sim and I can write a program but cant find it in any directories. I reloaded everything by going into the shell at bootup and reset from the simdisk set new paths and restored everything. It now boots without saying HDC failure but also says floppy drive failure reassigning graphfile path press any key to continue. When I now go to info and paths it list A:\rom B:\ram B:\parts Display is now D:\ and has -1 under it then floppy is now C:. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Im thinking about just spending the money to get this upgraded for 2000 dollar but would love to save a little and get this machine making a part again.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VM 16 floppy not working to load parameters

Your simplest solution is to get the floppy drive working.

First, check the drive to be sure it is correctly wired, I've seen lots of them that were just unplugged.
    You may have to replace the drive with either one that works or a floppy emulator.
    That disk drive is just a standard 3.5" 1.44 mb drive that came in millions of desktop computers; you can find them at used computer stores.

If you decide spend the money to update the cardcage, you will still need to get a drive for a source to load files from and a destination to save files and parameters to.

Send a PM to SportyBob if you are interested in an emulator, he has a kit that works and he can walk you thru the process of installing and configuring it.

BTW, 6.107 was a very early Cent6 release, newer releases have many really useful changes and additions. Ask Bob about an update path.

Good luck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks ZZ.

Got with sportybob this morning, wish I had half his knowledge on electronics! I think by the end of the week he will have me up and going after months of messing with this thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All, BSMC sent me his control, It was an older 486 with a "dallas" real time clock / battery. ( bad JUJU) but he had a problem with the floppy on the mother board side.
    Updated to a SBC control ( 256MB ram, 256MB program and parts storage) ( she's a screamer), newer soft and firm ware, added the floppy emulator (100 floppy sectors) loaded my " large program zip file" program and he is good to go.

sportybob