General questions for older Partner I

Thread: General questions for older Partner I

Question General questions for older Partner I

I "inherited" an older Partner I "J" series / Centurion V machine that (at least) has had some software updates done to it. We're still going over the machine before running it. (Already need a keyboard encoder and a couple air solenoids.) But I have a couple questions I haven't yet come across in the forums.

It looks like they were using CAT-V type tool holders, but we haven't been able to figure out what style collet was used. As close as I can figure, they were using Single Angle TG-100 type collets. Does that sound correct? (All tooling sent with the machine is "well used" with little or no marking left on the tooling.) I am only planning on using what they sent with the machine to verify that (A) the machine works correctly and (B) what else I may need to buy before putting it into production use.)

A future change I am planning on making is swapping out the floppy drive for an alternate method of feeding information into the machine. I believe the drive still works, but we do not have any other PC's that have floppies installed. One thought is to just get an external floppy to copy files from PC to load into the machine. (Not my first choice). 2nd would be to swap the drive for either a Multicard reader OR a USB Floppy emulator. (Both have pluses / minuses.) 3rd would be to hook it up via RS232 with a PC we currently use to transfer G-Code files to a couple of antique Coherent Laser machines. (Also has pluses / minuses.)

So the question is: Can anyone give me some good info on tool holder (& collets) / retention knob choices that work well with the Milltronics mills? We are primarily going to be processing aluminum, but may end up getting into different types of steel at some point.

Thanks already for the great info I've already dug up to get us as far as I am now with this machine. (Specifically the sheet with the keyboard codes to run mill functions without use of the front keypad. It's how we figured out is WAS the encoder and not a wiring or other issue.)

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: General questions for older Partner I

Regarding the tool holder/collet type, you are correct that the toolholders are CAT40.
    They are available with several collet styles: https://www.lyndexnikken.com/images/...CAT2011-TC.pdf

Here is a copy of the sheet Milltronics provides describing the required retention studs:

You have described most of the floppy drive replacement solutions, an additional option would be to add the machine as a node on a network.

The easiest one is to install a floppy drive emulator, format a thumb drive using the formatting software provided with the drive, and then use the file manager also provided the the drive to read/write files from your computer to the thumb drive.
    Contact SportyBob for a kit with the drive and the mounting hardware, but most importantly, the support you may need to make it work.

I'm glad my sheet on the keyboard replacements helped you out.

Good luck with it, you can get a lot of good work from those old Partners.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails General questions for older Partner I-vm-series-retention-studs-pdf  

Thanks ZZZZ. The sheet for Lyndex helped. One of the tool holders is indeed a Lyndex, but didn't have enough stamping legible to get a useful number off. Once we get it completely up and running, I will certainly get ahold of Sportybob for the drive swap options.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi PMB how is the machine coming along?
    PM me for any help or advise you need.
    or call me at 952-288-6340

sportybob

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello. Do you know what retention knob a milltronics partner 1D uses? The serial number is 1907-901. Date is 204 (1992). I called milltronics and they didn’t really know but said it uses MAS60CT studs but not sure. The guy I bought Machine from said it’s CAT40 with 60 deg taper studs. Would it be the PS-532x60 or the PS-572x60 or something else. Thanks for any comments.

Downloads
    Uploads

see the attached drawing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails General questions for older Partner I-vm-retension-knb-chart-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the chart. The chart says partner models VM15, VM16 ..... I guess the partner 1 series machines fit these studs also. Am I correct on that? Thanks for any comments. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by sportybob View Post
    see the attached drawing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes the knobs are the same

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes the knobs are the same
    Does anyone know what size rating of capacitor that this power supply uses that is missing on this board? The power supply board is from a milltronics partner 1d. It originally had 3 capacitors but one of them is missing. The 2 capacitors that are installed are 2200uf 50v. Not sure what the 3rd one supposed to be. I did find a 4700uf 35v capacitor lying inside the cabinet but don’t know if it goes in that spot on the board. Here are the pics of the power supply.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails General questions for older Partner I-340f53ea-92e0-4884-ba18-d7dec5df44f3-jpg   General questions for older Partner I-b8b4d52b-2d67-41cb-b3fc-3f9f33649547-jpg   General questions for older Partner I-c291272f-bb9c-4655-86e6-e63f57e1e86b-jpg   General questions for older Partner I-112058f0-6184-47b3-a9e0-d3283ba045d5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rivet, The cap is a 2200uf 50V

see the attached drawings

sportybob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails General questions for older Partner I-milltro-15-24-vdc-power-supply-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rivet, The cap is a 2200uf 50V

see the attached drawings

sportybob
    Thanks sportybob for the info and the drawing. It helped a lot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone know if running a milltronics partner 1d on single phase will damage the VFD ? The machine originally was run on 220v 3 phase. I hooked the machine to 220v single phase using one hot leg to L1 and one hot leg to L3 and jumpered L1 to L2 like was mentioned in an earlier forum. The VFD I have is a Safetronics G3. I read somewhere that said the VFD is 3 phase but not sure. Here is a pic of the VFD that I have. Thanks for any comments

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails General questions for older Partner I-a75d6a3f-2143-43b6-83e5-b33ef84891c3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rivet, No running the inverter in single phase does not hurt it.
    The drawback of running single phase is, it will / can not develop full HP to the motor.
    It is cut about in half.

When I am working with a customer and looking at replacing a spindle drive, and they have single phase, I will ALWAYS recommend that they double the spindle drive size. to the HP rating of the motor data plate.

Think about a old time merry go round., You have 1 guy pushing it or you have 3 guys pushing it, split the difference and you go double the drive size.

sportybob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rivet, No running the inverter in single phase does not hurt it.
    The drawback of running single phase is, it will / can not develop full HP to the motor.
    It is cut about in half.

When I am working with a customer and looking at replacing a spindle drive, and they have single phase, I will ALWAYS recommend that they double the spindle drive size. to the HP rating of the motor data plate.

Think about a old time merry go round., You have 1 guy pushing it or you have 3 guys pushing it, split the difference and you go double the drive size.

sportybob
    I have two VM15's that were ordered from the factory with single phase. I think they are 18 HP. I really doubt that they are running at half the horsepower. I have yet to run into a situation were I was concerned about horsepower and I run all kinds of material. Is my factory single phase machines different than a machine that has been converted to single phase?

sportybob..... At the moment, that project has been on hold. Between having continued issues with display/input screen and controls and a self-inflicted wound compliments of one of my maintenance guys: while working on trying to figure out what was going on with the display screen, he knocked said display off of it's "temporary position" and stripped most of the switches off the front panel. Sooooo. I am slowly gathering replacement switches to replace the messed up ones and then will re-attack it again at some point. This also taking place with purchasing a new Amada Laser for processing metal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi "boss" I have all the switches and parts needed. Give me a call when you get a chance

sportybob
    952-288-6340

Downloads
    Uploads

"boss", I just noticed your user data says your location is Sturgis. that wouldn't be Sturgis SD would it?

No, the OTHER Sturgis in South Western Michigan