VM17 spindle orientation

Thread: VM17 spindle orientation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default VM17 spindle orientation

My spindle is spinning slowly ,but not stopping before a tool change. Can some one explain the sequence of operation. I just replaced the spindle vfd with an Hitachi sj700 that I got from another machine. The tool change process worked fine with the old Magnatek drive. Thanks,Chris.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VM17 spindle orientation

I just repaired the orient on my partner 6 with a wj200 drive. I'm not sure if the vm17 is the same but it might be.
    When the spindle orients, the jog line on the drive gets activated. (Your drive should be configured to jog at about 1hz.) The air cylinder on top of the spindle gets activated too. The air cylinder pushes a bearing against a wheel with a notch machined in it. When the bearing falls in the notch a prox switch is activated to tell the controller to turn off the spindle motor. The air cylinder holds the spindle in place.
    Make sure the cylinder is not broken. A misconfigured drive or bad prox can break it. The cylinder, clevis, bearing and prox switch are common and cheap parts. The parts on mine were a Humphrey 6-dp-1 cylinder and matching clevis, an 8mm npn normally closed prox with 1.5mm range, and a metric 608 bearing. The clevis needs the hole opened to 8mm and you will need an 8mm pin if the original can't be reused. Livhaven.com had the cylinder and clevis. Automation direct had the prox.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My parameters for the old drive were at 1.5 hz. Do you think I should slow it to 1 hz. As the spindle rotated I could hear a clicking as it rotated. It might have been too fast for it to catch the de-tent.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

parameter A039 is for jog deceleration. How did you set that up?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is what I have so far. What do you think?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For A039 I use 03 "Free Run Stop". It falls right in the slot without bouncing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

While we are on the Hitachi inverters, one thing that has annoyed me is that it won't orient if the spindle speed is set to 0. This happens because the jog frequency sets a max frequency not an absolute so if 0hz is commanded by the controller no jogging happens. It's mostly only happens right after startup and is fixed by using MDI to set a spindle speed. Does yours do this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No, mine does't do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, The SJ700 is an odd duck, while it shows that the there is a JOG in the parameters, It does not support that direct input.. It needs both a JOG and fwd run input at the same time. You will need to add a relay to set both the jog and the fwd run inputs at the same time.
    The jog output from the control turns on the relay, the relay out would have 2 wires going to the drive jog and FWD run inputs.

The work around is to do a S50m3 before the M19, so the spindle is running at the same time that it gets it orient command.

It seems that Hitachi built this drive with "more advanced"? features that would use an orient board in the drive. Newer spindle motors have built in encoders and would need this orient board.

The WJ drives will take a "direct" JOG input.

PM me with questions.

Sportybob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Merry Christmas! Thanks for the info. Bob.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, FYI, I have to go install a relay tomorrow, 3.5hr drive to and 3.5hr back. for the same reason. I will let you know , how it goes.

sportybob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How did the repair go Bob?