Getting familiar with a Partner 1 with Centurion 5??

Thread: Getting familiar with a Partner 1 with Centurion 5??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Getting familiar with a Partner 1 with Centurion 5??

I am looking at a Milltronics Partner 1 Centurion V. The machine was used for a lot of 1 off prototype stuff, so nothing repetitive. It does have linear rails in all directions (see attached photos). It has all parts, include everything for the 12 tool tool-changer. Are these versatile machines? Can I cut steel and aluminum with no problems? Or are these more aluminum/plastics focused machines?

Getting familiar with a  Partner 1 with Centurion 5??-20140730_195256-jpg Getting familiar with a  Partner 1 with Centurion 5??-20140730_195337-jpg

Getting familiar with a  Partner 1 with Centurion 5??-2014073095195324-jpg Getting familiar with a  Partner 1 with Centurion 5??-2014073095195413-jpg

What I need some help with is known history of these machines. What are things I should be looking for when I view this machine in person? Are there any common flaws I should look for? Also, my major concern is how adaptable this machine is. Right now the machine powers on, but before any movement of an axis can be made an error code pops up. It’s code “450 Emergency Stop” ; the current owner has said he tried to clear the E-Stop error and has checked the limit switches but is unsuccessful thus far. If the controller is shot and needs to be replaced, is this a relatively painless task? Can this machine work with Mach 3? Are there recommendation for replacement controllers? Also, has anyone ever replaced the linear rails themselves? The pictures worry a bit.

Is anyone familiar with error code “450 Emergency Stop”?

Also the owner wants to load this using a pallet jack and ramps...seems sketchy to me. He says its how it got it onto his trailer previously. Anything he might have damaged in this process I should look for?

Thanks,
    Whizbang

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Getting familiar with a Partner 1 with Centurion 5??

From the pictures it doesn't look good, my advice is to walk away but you don't say what the price is. Milltronics made a couple of different models they called Partner 1. We'll need more information. Hard to tell which one your looking at from the pictures. I had one once and it could do most of what you want but was very slow doing it. You have to change belt position for lower RPMs under 500. I seemed to recall it weighed about 6K lbs. We replaced the rails on the x axis once. Wasn't too bad of a job if you have an over head crane. Not sure if the controller can be upgraded. We used the DNC function 99% of the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Error 450 is the standard Emergency stop error when you press the big red button or when you start up the machine. To clear the error on start up hit the Green reset button and then Home the machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The current owner tried the "green button" and then tried to Home the machine but the error code keeps coming up apparently.

I have attached more photos below of the CNC. Hopefully give more insight as to what I might be getting into. THe current owner is asking $3,800.00. And I have to go get it and drive it back

Getting familiar with a  Partner 1 with Centurion 5??-milltronics-plate-jpg

Getting familiar with a  Partner 1 with Centurion 5??-milltronics-cnc-jpg

Getting familiar with a  Partner 1 with Centurion 5??-milltronics-p1-cnc-jpg

Thanks,
    Whizbanf

Downloads
    Uploads

That's like the one we had only ours was a few years newer and was sold for 6K 18 months ago but it was in almost perfect condition. I'd still walk away for half that price. Too much rust. Does the monitor work? I'd be surprised if it did. The pictures show most of the covers off, why? Do they still have the covers?
    Has he tried to push and hold the Green button in and jog the table? It could be stuck on a limit switch.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So based on the feed back from everyone I didn't pursue this machine. However the owner has now come to me saying he wants more space in his barn, therefore he really wants to get rid of this Partner 1. He told me to name a price. Based on the photos I have shared, what would be a good price?

Thanks,
    Whizbang

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As well as the issues I see from the photos,apparent rust and a dead monitor, research tells me that this machine has odd-ball axis drives and an obsolete spindle drive and motor.

Unless you have a lot of experience repairing old electronics and deep pockets for purchasing parts, I would run, not walk, away. If this machine were near to me and the owner delivered it, I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it.