error 449

Thread: error 449

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default error 449

Hey, newbie here, we have a partner vm16 with a centurion 6 controller (mid 1990's ?). I used to run this machine 5-6 years ago but not now. I'm trying to help figure this error out. The machine was running fine last week, but when it was turned on this morning, this 449 error message came up. The reset button does nothing.
    We have powered it up numerous times and have pushed a relay reset button that looks like it feeds the drive boards. Each time we push it in, it kicks right back out. Also, the z axis has drifted down while we were doing this.
    Any suggestions where to start with this error code would be helpful.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A 449 error is a drive fault error. The control can't /won't even try to reset if it gets a fault input. By forcing the relay, you remove the Z axis brake without the having the control hold the motor so the head falls.

If you have DC drives, look for an LED on the card. On a GA370 Glentek drive card, the light only stays on for a short time so you have to have the door open, watch the cards, have somebody else press the reset button.

After you determine which drive faults, note which LED lights and report back.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks ZZZZ, but before we had a chance to try your suggestions, a Milltronics tech called us. It was determined that something in the spindle drive unit ( G5 Spindle Drive Inverter ) is bad. Due to the age of it, it needs to be "rebuilt" not replaced. Thanks again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good, you found the source of the fault. Too bad the drive needs rebuilding.

Let us know who you find to rebuild it, my favorite drive repair shop went out of business and I and others are always looking for good rebuilders.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the rebuild is going though Milltronics. Whether they do it I don't know. With the holiday scheduling, I don't know if the machine will be worked on now or after the first of the year. I will try to get the rebuild info for you.

Have a Merry Christmas!
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mike, Rebuilding older drives is not usually done. They repair them. The reason is that to "rebuild it properly" requires more time and parts then the cost of a new drive. They repair to "getting it back up and running". The cost is variable as to how much needs to be fixed. The problem lies in that all capacitors get old and fail. the cost of repalcing all the capacitors is prohibitive. Just a repair may get you 4-6 months if you are lucky. At a cost of about half the price of a new drive. Any drive of this type that is older then 3-4 years would be better off being replaced.
    Call Milltronics parts they can recommend a replacment.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks sportybob. I wasn't involved in the discussion about the rebuild/repair decision. I did work with the Milltronics tech on the phone to narrow down the problem. I think this machine is a mid 90's machine and they did not have a replacement. With that age I don't know if upgrading is an option. It's the end-of-year vacation time around here so nothing is going to get done until Jan.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update! The mill was repaired by a Milltronics service guy. He replaced the "G5" spindle drive unit with a "YASKAWA Variablespeed F7" unit. I don't know what all he had to do. But, he did have to drill and tap new mounting holes and make some "adjustments" to make sure that the commanded RPM was accurate.
    I hope this info helps.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default G@,G#,gpd515, etc ect ect

The Yaskawa F7 drive is the current replacement for most of the older Milltronics spindle drives. It is a good solid replacement. As with all newer electronics, it is smaller, but none the less as powerfull. This explaines the redrilling and "tapping" for a smaller "foot print". The F7 is a quick and easy replacement. But, there are wiring changes that need to be made and noted as well as the parameter settings that need to ne changed.
    (different wiring changes are neeeded depending on if your current drive is a G2, G3, G5, GPD, PC-3. Yaskawa, Magnatech, Saftronics have all had changes and inprovents thru the years.

NOTE TO ALL: I have had quite a few customers buy a "replacement" drive and spend 2-3 weeks trying to make it work. When buying a Milltronics replacement is it was up and runninging in ~ 2 hours.
    Replacing a current drive with a "general purpose drive" is not a good idea. There is a difference in the drives a manufacture chooses. Most "GP" drives do not have the inputs and outputs needed to make the machine run, properly. There is also value in a " plug and play" replacement VS spending 2 weeks tring to figure out what may or may not work.
    SO, for the guy you are buying from on line, ask "are you gona come out and make it work"? My guess is no.

Or, call me, "have tools, will travel".

sportybob