Retrofit a 1610L

Thread: Retrofit a 1610L

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Retrofit a 1610L

I am about to take the plunge. I first became interested in the 1610L from the specs in 2009. Life events kept be from purchasing at that time. I now have the opportunity, time and finances to make the plunge. My assessment from reading this forums trials and tribulations is that the "hardware" is good, but the electronics were very shabby. I am interested in tracking down any wiring diagrams, schematics etc that could be useful. The used machine I am purchasing has the touch panel and pendant, but I am not counting on them. I currently use my homebrew Seig conversions with Linux CNC but no matter what I do to them they won't have the work envelope or rigidity that 1610l seems to offer. Has anybody tried the SkyFireCNC components? Have you tried any other BLDC controllers? I am not interested in the Tormach machines as an alternative because of size vs workspace tradeoffs. This is a hobby for me. I am a retired Electrical Engineer who is dabbling in gunsmithing and will use this machine to further that hobby as well.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Retrofit a 1610L

The main problem is simply the spindle driver electronics and motor. In my experience the other electronics are robust. I think one other user tried a different BLDC spindle driver to some success but as I recall it was expensive and I'm not sure how it ultimately worked out for him. I converted mine to an AC motor with VFD. I ended up making a custom board to interface the VFD with the existing electronics for a seamless integration. Hit me up, I'm happy to help.

warmachinellc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have any limit swtiches (they started failing after a couple months). Not sure if the switches went, or the electronics, or what. Other than that, as stated the spindle driver sux, but the rest is still running well.

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I plan on picking up my machine around april 21st. It is a minimum of a 3 day return trip, but I may delay the return a few days since my oldest son lives near the pickup point. I have contacted Defeng/SkyFire ubout upgrade hardware to convert to BT30 spindle with power drawbar and tool changer. I have also looked into the hardware necessary to change the control system to LinuxCNC and it isn't much more than the cost to purchase the Mach 3 license. That would put me on familiar grounds. I will probably order the upgrade hardware as soon as I can negotiate an agreement with Defeng, but other than that the next steps will wait until after installation in my shop. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to move my 14X40 lathe temporarily to get the 1610L through the door.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hab82 View Post
    I plan on picking up my machine around april 21st. It is a minimum of a 3 day return trip, but I may delay the return a few days since my oldest son lives near the pickup point. I have contacted Defeng/SkyFire ubout upgrade hardware to convert to BT30 spindle with power drawbar and tool changer. I have also looked into the hardware necessary to change the control system to LinuxCNC and it isn't much more than the cost to purchase the Mach 3 license. That would put me on familiar grounds. I will probably order the upgrade hardware as soon as I can negotiate an agreement with Defeng, but other than that the next steps will wait until after installation in my shop. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to move my 14X40 lathe temporarily to get the 1610L through the door.
    If you want to change everything over, you may be better off just getting one of the Sky fire machines. It will be no small task to convert to BT30, and the listed hardware upgrades are $. What do you feel you are saving starting with the Mikini?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

The main thing I think I would be saving is time. I would have the base capability as soon as I install. The BT30 spindle etc could possibly be shipped by air rather than boat. If I get the promised quotes in time I may find that there is no financial or time incentive in that case I would go with SkyFire, but If this hasn't occured before the 15th of April I will have a 1610L and make headway thereafter. The upgrade can come when delivered, but I can use the machine until it arrives

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some problems occurred with the proposed purchase of a 1610L. As a result after communicating with David, Ren and Jan of SkyFire CNC I elected to purchase a SV2P1A with some mods. So now I wait for it to be built and shipped.

Since MikiniMech is now defunct but Skyfire can and will provide replacement parts, I suggest we morph this forum into a SkyFire CNC/MikiniMech forum.

Downloads
    Uploads

You made the right choice NOT getting the Mikini...

Downloads
    Uploads

Just curious, but could Mikini owners buy replacement parts from the SkyFire clone to make a functionally identical SkyFire mill? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm just a casual reader here.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since Ren designed the Mikini probably so. My initial query to them was about upgrading to SV2 bt30 spindle and adding ATC. They were working on an estimate until I changed to make the purchase. If you already own the Mikini I would definitely discuss it with Jan. He will be back in Alabama on Monday. I found out that shipping costs from China are cheaper than cross country US.
    Hubert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hab82 View Post
    Since Ren designed the Mikini probably so. My initial query to them was about upgrading to SV2 bt30 spindle and adding ATC. They were working on an estimate until I changed to make the purchase. If you already own the Mikini I would definitely discuss it with Jan. He will be back in Alabama on Monday. I found out that shipping costs from China are cheaper than cross country US.
    Hubert
    Are they shipping it to a port that you will have to pick it up from? Very curious as to how you will get it.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

In my case they are shipping to Houston Texas, which about 4 hours from me. I chose to pick it up myself, as I didn't want to full with a freight company. You can have it delivered to your home, but you will pay for that convenience. I can rent a suitable U-haul for $35 and since I am retired there is no trouble in taking a day off. I am working with Jan Bos Skyfire's US distributor to work out the details.
    I have also ordered some upgrade parts(I have a couple of home brew CNC'ed Mills) and pre-look parts that I am having shipped by Air. They will be delivered to my home.