Mikini computer issues

Thread: Mikini computer issues

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mikini computer issues

So my hard drive died and I've copied the drive image to an SSD but I'm having trouble getting it to boot. Can someone that has the Mikini integrated computer tell me the OS service pack? Also any computer experts here that can help restore the master boot record or repair the boot files?

Similar Threads:
    warmachinellc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mikini computer issues

How did you copy the files? Did you make the drive bootable?

Can't help with an image as I built and use my own computer, good move on going to an SSD, though - they do NOT care about vibrations!

If it comes to it, you can nuke everything and start over. I do have the file needed for MACH3 to configure to the Mikini setup.

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

I used acronis true image backup and restore but neither the old drive or the new drive will boot. I also put a cd room drive in a sata port to boot an XP install disc but it wouldn't boot either. I can get it to boot to a bootable thumb drive but can't get to the recovery console. Is it possible the sata ports are not working? Although anything I plug into them shows up in the BIOS.

warmachinellc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    I used acronis true image backup and restore but neither the old drive or the new drive will boot. I also put a cd room drive in a sata port to boot an XP install disc but it wouldn't boot either. I can get it to boot to a bootable thumb drive but can't get to the recovery console. Is it possible the sata ports are not working? Although anything I plug into them shows up in the BIOS.
    When you put the CD drive on, did you tell the BIOS to boot from CD? You can also use a sufficiently large thumb drive and copy the CD to it, and boot from that since you can boot from USB (this may also allow you to boot to the recovery console). Seems if the BIOS ID's the drives it should be able to read/write to them, but it is possible your MBR was so botched that it copied a "non-usable" image from the source drive and therefore can't boot from it.

Best of luck in figuring it out, but I think you will soon need to go clean slate and rebuild a new XP image on that SSD...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mike. I tried everything and finally just hooked up a cd - rom drive, made an XP sp2 install disc so I could get to the recovery console. Weirdly my usb version did not give me the option of repair. Anyway fixboot, fixmbr, chkdsc, rebuild, etc. Did not fix it. So I just recovered the Virgin image that I made when I first got the machine and that worked. Now I just need to go back and update everything in Mach. A bit of a pain but much better than if I had to start from scratch. Whatever happened to the old drive seriously screwed up the data on it. It was working perfectly for years and then suddenly I noticed it hesitated on shutdown the other day after machining. It never booted again. Then I hooked it up to a different pc and made the image with acronis also copying all of the damaged data.

warmachinellc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Once I get everything updated again I'll make another image.

warmachinellc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Good Idea!

(but you knew that )