Another Darn Power Drawbar

Thread: Another Darn Power Drawbar

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another Darn Power Drawbar

Hi, hope all is well with everyone Before i begin, a small update... The mill has been working flawlessly since the updated motor and electronics..

Now to the drawbar thing... I've been using a Milwaukee 12 volt, 3/8" impact gun to facilitate my tool changes. I've had no problems with torquing down the tools...it was just getting old reaching over for the impact gun every time I had to change tools.... must be an old age thing. So, i decided to make a power drawbar. I didn't want to make one using one of those butterfly air wrenches...mostly because of the noise. I decided that since I've been using a battery powered impact gun, i might as well stick with it. Plus, I wanted it to be a little different

Here's my version of another darn drawbar...

Similar Threads:
    pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Another Darn Power Drawbar

Outstanding!

I often thought about how to do this as well. Yours is very slick. Now you just need to build an ATC like the one Ray is working on for the Novakon: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...n-machine.html.

I think I would get a BT30 spindle if I were going the ATC route though. Those weren't available when I ordered the Mikini but I have sort of decided that if I wanted an ATC then I would also want it on a different mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool setup! Does the electric motor sit up inside the air cylinder?

The engagement to the nut looks really smooth. I also use an electric impact wrench with a lever and two switches and had issues with nut engagement. Had to make draw bar with a 12 point nut.

How would you use an arduino in the system ?

I was thinking of using a linear actuator and an arduino. To make it an air free system.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the good words I'm with you Swath... if i ever need an atc, it will be with a larger machine.

bozidar22, I'm using a 12 point socket....which helps. As for the arduino thing, it's just something to get experience with C++ and to keep this old man's brain cells from falling asleep...lol. Seriously, I'm thinking that with the Arduino, i could somehow set it to respond to just one press of the button to tighten or loosen the drawbar....instead of holding the switch...maybe setting it up with a foot switch...just some thoughts.

pete