Mikini/VFD post-conversion cutting videos

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mikini/VFD post-conversion cutting videos

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mikini/VFD post-conversion cutting videos

Hi everybody,
    I've just been humming along with the new motor so I'm going start posting videos in this thread for those whose wish to see them. I'm also trying to pick up more subscribers so please subscribe and share.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Good Stuff !!!! I recently acquired a 5 inch, 45 degree face mill. I'll give it a try....I may be installing new spindle bearings sooner than I thought ...lol

pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Great work!! The mill sounds great !!!!! Keep the videos coming

pete

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mikini/VFD post-conversion cutting videos

Hi guys,

Well I've been working hard on getting a website set up so I haven't been doing much machining lately. Hopefully that is about to change because the website is finally done for now and you can go there to follow my blog posts, see new machining videos (if you are not already subscribed to my Youtube channel), and brainstorm with on product development. It also has a store for anyone interested in supporting us and buying some of the really cool things I make. I'm totally new to web stuff so if I am doing something wrong or there is a problem with the site please leave me some feedback or feel free to also leave comments in the blog.

I hope you all enjoyed the titanium dice making videos, they were so cool that I decided they need their own name. I call them the "Luxors". Bob Warfield of the CNC Cookbook and the ubiquitous GWizard calculator wrote an article about the making of the Luxors and I've linked to it on my blog. Also Hackaday published my submission to a contest where I was trying to win some money last year, as an article. I didn't know it was going to be published and I didn't win for technical reasons but it seems to have garnered some attention and I hope it helps others who are having a hard time with their endeavors to know that they aren't the only ones. I've also linked this article on my blog as well.

The website is warmachinellc.com

Anyway the next project that I've started working on (or I should say started working on again from a long hiatus) is an AR15 component I invented and provisionally patented in 2006-2007ish. I had a few prototypes made by another machine shop but the cost was borderline prohibitive and the only shop willing to make it decided it was too hard to make and not worth their time. That is what ultimately landed me here. I did a little machining on it when I first got the Mikini but decided I couldn't afford to keep breaking endmills with the spindle problems it had. Now that the spindle problems are completely gone it's about time to bring this thing full circle. I've spent the past couple of days brainstorming fixture ideas as I've decided the previous fixture I made was not going to be good enough. I will detail all of these things on my blog soon and hopefully some of you fine folks can help me come up with a better mousetrap to fixture this thing.

Last edited by SWATH; 04-04-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey guys,
    I finally got around to working on the gasblock again, here is the latest video. You can read more about my methodology with the fixturing in the blog on my website: Did I mention this new motor is sweet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the 2nd video in the AR15 gasblock machining video series. Most of this one is revisiting operations from the 1st video after I discovered a process error which would lead to a lot of problems down the road. I'll put up more content and some more pics about my thought process in the blog. Feel free to add a comment, tell me what could be done better, or just tell me I'm an idiot.

Last edited by SWATH; 04-25-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

In this one I actually blast a 0.5" roughing endmill into pieces!

The latest episode in the series:

Here is the link to the blog post with more info on the machining ops:
    https://warmachinellc.com/ar15-high-...-of-fixture-1/

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the latest video. It may appeal to many here because I go back and revisit making a whole bunch of test cuts again to tweak MRR, tool life, chatter, and surface finish. I would say I largely failed in the surface finish department with both boring and finish milling so maybe some of you who are much better machinists than me can offer some suggestions. As far as MRR goes, I think I hit one out of the park using some new Lakeshorecarbide tools and some recommendations from Carl the owner. What he suggested had me pretty nervous given my history with the old spindle snapping and breaking all my tools from halts but the new AC/VFD motor didn't even bat an eye at these cuts.The main issue now is rigidity. I also tried boring again with no success.

4140 HT alloy steel
    0.5" 2.5" long carbide rougher from lakeshore carbide
    2125 RPM
    22 IPM
    0.6" DOC !
    0.07" WOC

Early in the video you can see the effect that the collar coming loose had on the cuts. Make sure those things are at least snug, mine was completely loose. I may go back in there and snug it more based on the Tormach manual procedure.

Here is the blog post with more content and write up:
    AR15 High Rail Gasblock CNC Machining (4): test cuts revisited and profiling | War Machine

Here is the video:

Last edited by SWATH; 05-07-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Latest video is out. This one I get into the machine backlash issue, the Haimer 3D taster, and finally some good machining.

As usual there is more info on the blog page: https://www.warmachinellc.com/ar15-h...ttom-features/.

Downloads
    Uploads

Blog post:
    http://www.warmachinellc.com/ar15-hi...xture-plate-2/

Fixture plate 2 machining video:

Downloads
    Uploads

You should use the round boss in the center, and then a diamond shaped pin to locate the parts rotationally. It will make it worlds easier to get the parts on and off.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. I guess the idea is less contact area for friction? Do you have a link to these diamond shaped pins? I wanted to use pins instead but couldn't find any of the exact right size and the main one needed to be threaded anyway so I decided to just mill them in a steel plate.

Downloads
    Uploads

The idea is even few tenths of a thou variation in center to center distance can really muck things up for fit. So you use a round pin, or boss in your situation, and then the rotational locator would be a diamond pin with the locating portion at 90º to the axis between the two holes. Very common in the machine shop, all of our fixturing uses diamond and bullet locators, have even made pallet changers using them. Here is a link to the Carr Lane catalog showing a variety of them...

LOCATORS, LOCATING PINS :: Carr Lane Manufacturing Co.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast