Newbie - how do I find a CNC shop that would deal with individuals? Please help! - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie - how do I find a CNC shop that would deal with individuals? Please help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie - how do I find a CNC shop that would deal with individuals? Please help!

I agree with HJL4; investment casting, if done right, should be able to reproduce fairly sharp edges and good detail. Not as sharp as machined edges, but acceptable for many purposes. However, since we don't know what this device is for, we can't really judge whether the process is appropriate or not. It will certainly be a lot more cost-efficient than machining each one individually, though. I don't see how sinker EDM could work for a part like this, since it's a continuous pattern all around a cylinder, while an electrode can only cut from one direction.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie - how do I find a CNC shop that would deal with individuals? Please help!

Hello everybody! Sorry about the lack of participation - our household got hit by a stomach flu, I had my hands full for the last few days.

The parts are tools, made to shape metal. They need to be about as strong as a drill bit, or a stamping die. From what I've been told, casting won't do that. They need to be carved out of a block of hardened steel, so the question is how to do the carving. Electroerosion is one possibility. I've seen some impressive specs for DLMS using M1 tooling steel, but haven't gotten any solid information yet - neither on pricing, nor on the mechanical properties.

victorofga - in addition to making a prototype, we're looking for a way to make these parts in larger quantities - and within a certain budget. A machine shop in my garage won't help figuring that out.

Still haven't gotten my program writing IGES files - still putting together a framework for that.

Again, thank you so much for your interest and participation!

Boris

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, Boris, I won't try to convince you again to go with investment casting. It looks like you are dead set on cutting tools and EDMs. All I can say, is good Luck. EDM won't do it and rotating tools leave radius's.
    For anyone else wanting to know anything about castings and achievable strength and hardness, here is a link.Tool Steel Investment Casting Chemical Compositions - Wisconsin Precision Casting

Now with that in mind, show me a better option.

Good day.

Downloads
    Uploads

this investment casting looking nice.. however it will be a die... not clear what roughness can be achieved..

what I know for sure printing a 4 inches stuff that's not cheap even of wax..

each pieces will cost at least 1000 or more..

I cant comment on edm, as my experiment was the shop I saw similar projects they used indexer and it worked.. its pending only on shop..

but either way, casting, milling or sinkeroding will cost a lot..

that's why was my opinion if it need several then the most affordable to get a mini mill and start to milling.. boris looking capable to operating cnc equipment..
    another point beside an own minimill, in case a misdesigned stuff will cost time and material only.. not paid hours..

================================================== =====================================

boris, if you have talent to working with geometries just by your own.. I think you need to use your time better.. a simple cadprogram probably can make your design with less effort..

at this time I checking on viacad and it cost 99...

but on amazon many simple cad program comes from 15-30 dollar..

mecsoft has the freemill combined with visualcad that is free and can make this model..

visualmill actually can toolpath it.. tough that's already cost..
    when it made even in his garage from there the time less important as he don't pay 50-100 dollar per hour for machining.. or who knows how much the casting..

Downloads
    Uploads

That Wisconsin Precision Casting place that Hjl4 pointed out looks like your best bet for this project, Boris. They can work from 3D prints, which means that the STL file format shouldn't be a problem. And they produce castings in hardenable tool steels, which sounds like what you need (usually hardened steel parts are cut from annealed tool steel and heat-treated afterwards for hardness.) What Rockwell hardness do you need? If they give you a quote, please let us know what they'd charge for your part at what size.

While I'm a big enthusiast for DIY milling and Mecsoft's products (I'm a Mecsoft dealer, in fact) there's no way you're going to do this with Freemill. You'd need the Expert edition at least, which supports the 4th axis. That program lists for $2500 (we charge a little less) and the MiniMill with 4th axis will cost another $30k or so, plus tooling etc. Then you'd have to learn how to use it. Give those Wisconsin guys a call...

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Andrew

I wrote visualmill.. but creating one segment of that wheel and toolpathing that, possible to toolpath it without 4th axis.. simply indexing after each segment.. basic visualmill don't cost 2500..
    bobcad example has express for 500...

with freemill would be really a lot extra work..

minimill comes about 14 a very good stuff jewelrist using.. I just posted above

but I think he could go with a tormach or similar.. what already going from 5-6K

hes just starting out.. and looks like hes very talented..

so can someone give a price right here how much could cost a 2 in long and 4.4 in dia 3dprinting? due to its precision 0.05 mm, and any 3d printer capable, that's not cheap.. and their owners woill not work for 50 bux an hour.. plus the casting will cap it..
    so a 4-5 wheel almost cost a small cnc mill price..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123