When to change a grinding wheel?

Thread: When to change a grinding wheel?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default When to change a grinding wheel?

I've been searching for an answer to this question for a little while, and have found no clear results.

Before I get to the question at hand, I need to provide the appropriate background information.

At the shop I work in, we have three grinders using either aluminum oxide or ceramic blend wheels. Two of these are automatic surface grinders and the other is a CNC OD grinder. The two surface grinders have a fixed wheel speed, the CNC grinder will adjust its wheel speed to compensate for wheel diameter.

So now for the question. When is a grinding wheel spent? When is it time to change the grinding wheel? I am talking about changing the wheel because it is worn out as opposed to replacing it with a different style of wheel for a different application.

In my mind, with the types of wheels I described, I would do the following.

One the fixed wheel speed surface grinders, I would determine at what diameter the wheel begins to exhibit problems with obtaining the proper finish, burning, loading, etc..
    On the CNC, with adjustable wheel speed, I would change this wheel once the maximum recommended wheel speed is reached.

Am I way off here? If so please let me know. I appreciate the help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: When to change a grinding wheel?

It sounds like you're doing it correctly. Pretty much the way I have always done it, as long as the wheel is doing the job why change it.

Downloads
    Uploads

The maximum wheel speed is inversely proportional to the square of the diameter. once the diameter is reduced to say, 7 inches instead of 8, you can run it at a factor of (8^2/7^2) faster.

Biggest problem you might run into is you will need to re-balance the wheel once a significant portion of it has been removed, and that's just due to differences in density, random variation in the wheel.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is very much along the lines of my thinking. I really appreciate the information. If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free.