New Desktop Setup - Suregrave 2516i - Possibly a New Controller

Thread: New Desktop Setup - Suregrave 2516i - Possibly a New Controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Desktop Setup - Suregrave 2516i - Possibly a New Controller

Please bear with me here, apart from a bit of pcb milling in college, an electronic engineering apprenticeship (basic CAD/CAM training) and then around ten years in the real world (as in instrument engineer) I have never gone near any CNC'ing stuff. If this isn't in the right section please feel free to put me in the right one, there was a lot of choice!

So, I'm trying to get a little idea I have together. Ideally I want to be able to mill pcb's, plastic (name tags etc), wood and possibly some light metal work aluminium (basic again, name tags etc).

I have available an oldish Suregrave 2516i, I think with the correct programming and setup this will do everything I want. However the controller for this was thrown out ages ago! With this in mind I think I have three options (do tell me if there are more):

1. Source a new controller, ideally USB based, but will take any other options that work really.

2. Source a refurbished/used Suregrave 2516i, that way I have a spare table and other parts on hand should they ever be required and also the experience of the guy in my work who used to operate our Suregrave before it packed up (his knowledge of CNC engraving is very much push start, let the machine go I think, but he obviously knows his way around the 2516i a little).

3. Source a completely different branded new/used/refurbished machine as per advice from here and go from there.

New controller wise I have looked at this, I think it's the right thing for what I need, but again it's a bit like the blind leading the blind... I'm not scared of all the comms and stuff that's needed, but I want to make sure I'm buying the right kit before I do anything.

Any help appreciated,

Rusty