Pictures of your HOME Shops - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of your HOME Shops

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Reliance View Post
    Jason, You'll have to change your avatar on PM now!
    HAHA, I can't do that. Maybe after I own it I'll change over. Maybe......

Jason,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been more of lurker here, but for many years. Here is my small shop.
    shoppix

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After looking at the photo's posted... I'm gonna say you all have collected machines and let them sit, collecting dust.

I don't see chips or sawdust. My shop doesn't look nothing like these pictured. I've got chips and sawdust around the shop. I spend more time making chips/dust then cleaning it up. OK, maybe is like a 90% making the mess and the rest cleaning.

BTW, It's great to see people post pictures of their machinery. It lends to ideas of what's being used and what kinds of tools exist.

Today, I learned that a gurney table makes great for a work shop table! Checking Criags list now for one. I viewed a sanding disk laying horizontal to the work table in stead of vertical. That is way cool!

Thank you to all those that have posted. I'll take some pics and post.

I thought my messy shop wouldn't make for good pictures. However, based on that, I'd never take photos because I've got many projects going on and not enough "work stations"

@bridgecity Your definition of small shop is a dream shop for many. Thanks for posting pics.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, Osphoto, don't judge the cleaniness of my shop by those pix.

Two things, after working with one project for a few days it can be major messed up. Second, if I don't keep this shop picked up after each project and sometimes in the middle, it is such a mess that I can't move or find anything.

Donn

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by osphoto View Post
    After looking at the photo's posted... I'm gonna say you all have collected machines and let them sit, collecting dust.

I don't see chips or sawdust. My shop doesn't look nothing like these pictured. I've got chips and sawdust around the shop. I spend more time making chips/dust then cleaning it up. OK, maybe is like a 90% making the mess and the rest cleaning.

BTW, It's great to see people post pictures of their machinery. It lends to ideas of what's being used and what kinds of tools exist.

Today, I learned that a gurney table makes great for a work shop table! Checking Criags list now for one. I viewed a sanding disk laying horizontal to the work table in stead of vertical. That is way cool!

Thank you to all those that have posted. I'll take some pics and post.

I thought my messy shop wouldn't make for good pictures. However, based on that, I'd never take photos because I've got many projects going on and not enough "work stations"

@bridgecity Your definition of small shop is a dream shop for many. Thanks for posting pics.
    My shop runs 20 hrs a day, at least 4 of the 5 spindles in this photo. We keep it clean non stop. If it is trashed, someone will not be happy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Thinwater View Post
    My shop runs 20 hrs a day, at least 4 of the 5 spindles in this photo. We keep it clean non stop. If it is trashed, someone will not be happy.
    Gosh that is beautiful. My dream one day to have a micro factory like yourself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thinwater has a wonderful and their work is top notch!
    Still, I'm envious.
    Keep up the good work!
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey tatical! that isn't a home shop!

by the way where is your inspection equipment? I just see chip making no inspection?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MBG View Post
    hey tatical! that isn't a home shop!

by the way where is your inspection equipment? I just see chip making no inspection?
    The go/no gauges and pin gauges are next to each machine. We use a Farrow Arm and a full time employee to check parts and update our prints. His job is to try and find anything wrong with our parts. He nearly always catches any errors before they become out of tolerance.

The Farrow is in a room with good climate control. The open bay doors in FL are not good for computers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice was looking at a faro arm.

Seems like you run a tight ship very impressed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice thread. Here is my one man shop.

Photo 1 is along the left side wall with the radical arm saw, surfacer and joiner mounted on mobile tables. Table saw in right foreground. Inside wood storage is in the back on the left side.

Photo 2 is the home made CNC machine with a 4' x 8' bed and a 6" x 92" lathe. The lathe does reduce the effective size of the CNC machine but well worth it. A flat object can span the A axis for the full size but for practical purposes, the 2D CNC is 24" x 96". Not easily seen is the top half is a 24 x 48 bed using clamps and the bottom 24 x 48 is a vacuum bed. I use poster board under the A axis to catch chips that are not sucked up. In this photo, I have mounted a orbital sander attachment on the front of the router and the vacuum line is secured overhead. The attachment allows me to sand round or flat stock.

Photo 3 is the shared outside portion. Hand sanding, other dust intensive operations and anything else I can do are done here. It's cooler and the wind blows away the dust. If you look closely at the white waste paper container on the tractor, you will see the grip of the pistol loaded with pest, aka snake, shot.

Photo 4 is the wood drying & storage area.

That's my work space. No A/C in the summer and some heat in the winter.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pictures of your HOME Shops-001-jpg   Pictures of your HOME Shops-002-jpg   Pictures of your HOME Shops-003-jpg   Pictures of your HOME Shops-004-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

dsnellen,

Very well organized small shop. I like your layout. Good work!

Nelson

South Bend Heavy 10L, Burke #4, Van Norman #12, South Drill Bend Press
    A home machinist site you might like: www.Hobby-Machinist.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by allthumbz View Post
    dsnellen,

Very well organized small shop. I like your layout. Good work!

Nelson
    Thanks. It got a lot better with the addition of the covered space outside. With a tin roof, the shop will get to 106+ degrees on a hot sunny day and we have had a lot of them this year.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
    Thanks. It got a lot better with the addition of the covered space outside. With a tin roof, the shop will get to 106+ degrees on a hot sunny day and we have had a lot of them this year.

Dave
    Been hot here too Dave, though not that hot. I just ran a 30 amp line for an air conditioner. Expensive, but the shop space is unusable otherwise.

Nelson

South Bend Heavy 10L, Burke #4, Van Norman #12, South Drill Bend Press
    A home machinist site you might like: www.Hobby-Machinist.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice setup Dave. I bet it does get a bit warm.

Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by allthumbz View Post
    Been hot here too Dave, though not that hot. I just ran a 30 amp line for an air conditioner. Expensive, but the shop space is unusable otherwise.
    Nelson
    Not sure if an A/C in my case would do a lot of good. The shop isn't insulated and not exactly mouse proof either. And I would think the dust would constantly clog the A/C filter. So I adjusted my work schedule. I try to start early, around 7ish and call it quits when it gets to 104+. That's about a 6 hours in the shop and the rest of the day is spent planning the next day. This summer has been especially rough with outdoor in-the-shade temps in the 104+ range on a number of days. The outside area is new this year and has proven to be worth its weight in gold. Always has a breeze flowing through.

Winters is the opposite. The shop tends to be the same as outside temps. I have a diesel space heater but I spend more time standing in front of it than I do actually working. So by the end of Nov I am pretty much done for the year and start again in Mar/Apr of the next year.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin USA View Post
    Nice setup Dave. I bet it does get a bit warm.
    Thanks. Unfortunately I have to have two of almost everything. Two tape measures, two rubber mallets, squares, clamps, etc. is duplicated. :-) I waste a lot time walking around looking for a tool.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
    Not sure if an A/C in my case would do a lot of good. The shop isn't insulated and not exactly mouse proof either. And I would think the dust would constantly clog the A/C filter. So I adjusted my work schedule. I try to start early, around 7ish and call it quits when it gets to 104+. That's about a 6 hours in the shop and the rest of the day is spent planning the next day. This summer has been especially rough with outdoor in-the-shade temps in the 104+ range on a number of days. The outside area is new this year and has proven to be worth its weight in gold. Always has a breeze flowing through.

Winters is the opposite. The shop tends to be the same as outside temps. I have a diesel space heater but I spend more time standing in front of it than I do actually working. So by the end of Nov I am pretty much done for the year and start again in Mar/Apr of the next year.

Dave
    sorry for the OT comment, but for those with mouse problems in the shop a few drops of pepermint oil on a paper towel thrown in the corner will eliminate the problem.

John
    ps. leaves the shop smelling better than mouse droppings too

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WoodSpinner View Post
    sorry for the OT comment, but for those with mouse problems in the shop a few drops of pepermint oil on a paper towel thrown in the corner will eliminate the problem.

John
    ps. leaves the shop smelling better than mouse droppings too
    Actually, I have no problem killing them with poison. And I freely place it around the shop. Mice = snake food. So I much prefer to have no mice instead of simply keeping them out of the shop. In this part of Missouri, rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and blacksnakes are common. Blacksnakes are left alone, but rattlesnakes and cottonmouths are promptly dispatched. I am very, very alert when retrieving wood from the storage racks!

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Baltimore Hackerspace

This is not technically a home shop but it's home away from home. We have a small DIY CNC (bottom right of photo) which sits in our hackerspace in Baltimore. The rest of the area is used mainly for building robots and working on other electronics related projects.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pictures of your HOME Shops-cnc_right-jpg  
    [URL="http://baltimorehackerspace.com"]Baltimore Hackerspace[/URL]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast