I am researching the build of a cnc plasma table and the computer controller broads for a future project, I have tried searching and probably am just typing in the wrong names I have tried "cnc computer controller board" , "cnc computer controller board kit", "controller board kit" , "DIY computer controller" " DIY cnc Board" etc etc etc I do remember some time back about guys building some type of controller boards but can't find the threads now, the general table construction seems straight forward enough when I get to the steppers will probably have question about them as well but for now going to start with the controller board.
I decide to just ask for advice and links to the best threads or sites related to this topic.
Just in case it is relevant here are things I know I either need or would like or changes in current equipment, the machine size and intended purpose .
1) I know I need to replace my plasma cutter with a much larger one for the thickness aluminum planed to cut, have not decided or thought of which brand name it will be at this time. I will mostly be cutting 0.190" material but would like to be able to cut up to 1" aluminum plate.
2) table needs to handle aluminum sheets in the size of 24' long x 8' wide
3) would like to build SS water pans to catch slag (but is optional)
4) needs three axis front to back, side to side and up and down (X,Y, Z)
5) This is optional, but would like to be able if possible to replace the torch head at times with a trim router to make some custom decorative wood molding and tables. The machine main purpose is metal so I don't know if I can use it for wood as well
6) computer controller boards I am not quit sure how they work but if possible I would like to have something like a small pci cnc controller board to fit my computer that way I have all my design work in one place without having to transfer , links to vendors, thread , schematics all would be great!
7) I am not opposed to buying a premade board or a kit but I do like building odd projects so i would at least like to learn how the board works and what the parts are, links to cnc threads would be great, schematics etc etc
8) The simple size of this table frame dictates that I would build it with steel frame just to same expense then just powercoat it. Probably need three support legs on each long side with a lower frame that extra uncut new sheets of aluminum could be stored on a Stainless steel water pan mounted below slats should catch any slag so it didn't drop on new sheets. I also figured a set of six solid wheels so the table could be moved around when need and screws for leveling. I was thinking probably lead screws for travel though I don't know if I can or its affordable to buy them in that length I may just have to turn my own on the lathe unless there is a better method of travel on larger tables???