Spline shaft design questions

Thread: Spline shaft design questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spline shaft design questions

Good evening,

I am in the beginning stages of designing a spline shaft.

I need to know what types of tolerances are needed for proper meshing of female and male splines.

Is there a specification SAE/MIL/ASME spec that might help detail and/or spec out what tolerances are needed.

Also, what type of manufacturing techniques are employed for internal splines? Broaching head on a rotary table? Sinker EDM?

Any help or pointing in the correct direction is helpful.

I have a Machinery's Handbook, but I left it at the office and I haven't taken a peak in there yet, perhaps the answer is obvious.

Thanks,
    Chris

Similar Threads:

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Typically, internal splines are broached. All "teeth" are cut in one pass of a pull type broach. They can also be cut on a gear shaper.

That does not mean they can't be cut on a Bridgeport with a slotter head, an old style shaper or other machine with a rotary positioning device.

The tolerances can be loose or extremely tight depending on usage requirements. A spline in a simple drive shaft does not require the accuracy that a spline shaft in a gear hobber drive train.

There are also different types of splines. Straight sided or involute to name two.

Generally, the cutting tool determines the form accuracy of the spline.

There are published standards for splines available on the internet.

Dick Z

DZASTR