Blade sharpener idea kick

Thread: Blade sharpener idea kick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Blade sharpener idea kick

Most sawmills today are bandsaws. Bandsaw teeth have three parts, the back, the front, and the gullet. To adequately sharpen a blade, all three surfaces must be ground.

Sawmill blades generally have a pitch of something close to 1.75"

http://www.cookssaw.com/flowplayer/s...harpeners.html

As you can see in the above demo, most good bandsaw sharpeners operate by advancing the blade one tooth, while the cutting tool moves vertically. The timing between these vertical and horizontal movements dictates the shape of the tooth.

BTW, a good sharpener limited to one kind of blade profile is about $2500. A fast sawmill might dull four blades per day.

Each type of wood benefits from a slightly different tooth profile.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems tend to look like nails, right?

My hammer of choice lately is stepper motors.

I've been thinking that a good way to build a sharpener which is customizable for the best tooth profile would be to CNC it. Axis X advances the tooth one tooth pitch while Axis Z determines the height of the cutting tool based on gcode input. Axis Y would reset the blade advancing pawl, and the cycle would repeat.

Thoughts?

edited to add
    http://www.hud-son.com/band_blade_video_2.htm

The above is a video which better shows how the current systems work.